Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump not working - might the fuse be the problem?

Options
  • 05-06-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Just tried the water pump and its not working. There isn't a sound from the pump. There's no water coming from the kitchen tap, bathroom tap, or toilet flush. Normally you can hear the pump when it is pumping or trying to pump water. The rest of the electrics seem fine, sockets and lights.

The boiler had drained itself - probably due to the temperature dropping - but I have refilled the water tank.

I noticed on the control panel that one of the 10amp fuse switches had popped forward. I pushed it back in place but the pump still does not work.
    Please see the attached picture. The switch that popped forward is the middle of the three 10amp fuse switches.

Is it likely that this 10amp fuse is for the water pump and is causing the problem?
    Can fuses just blow like that (camper hasnt been used for a few weeks)?
    How do I go about replacing the fuse?
    Where might I get a suitable fuse?

Please reply asap. I need to get this sorted out.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

My Control Panel is the same as yours [1999 vehicle]. Dethleffs sent me a manual in German. I am not too sure of my translation, I think that breaker is for "consumer, toilet room and kitchen area."

In a 2005 manual the problem solving is [paste didn't retain the 3 columns fault cause remedy]:
    15.6 Water Supply
    Fault Cause Remedy

No water Water tank is empty Top up with fresh water

Drain cock not closed Close drain cock

12 V power supply switched
    off
    Switch 12 V power supply on

Fuse of the water pump is
    defective
    Replace fuse on the transformer/
    rectifier

Water pump defective Exchange water pump (have it
    exchanged)

Water pipe snapped off Straighten water pipe or
    replace

Transformer/rectifier defective Contact customer service

Ceased pump will blow a fuse. They can be freed up running in reverse polarity worked on mine a while back. Might let the smoke out though depending on the model.

Thinking about the translation for breaker number 2 "consumer toilet room and kitchen area," in my camper I think this is for the 12V outlet above the cooktop and the 12V outlet in the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fliper

Mine was the same way when I pulled out the van this year. Just turned on tap, put my hand into the water tank and caught the pump and tapped it once or twice and it started up. I left one tap on while doing this. It's working ok since.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Thanks for replies lads.
    The pump has ceased, new one on the way.
    Disconnected the pumps electrics and 12v is going in and not dimming lights. But when pump is connected and trying to work it is dimming lights.

@Jon: Could you send me on the contact details for Dethleffs and I will try to get a copy of the user manual from them? Thanks.

• Advertisement

I just sent an email to info@dethleffs.de, gave them the year and model of the camper and asked if they had a manual for it. They replied that they only had German, paper versions and they sent me one. No charge.
    It is a lot of pages or I'd make a copy for you.
    BTW, my mains unit is a Toptron CH13; Richard at the Owners club in the UK insists it is not original. The unit is behind the glove box.

Thanks Jon! I'll send them an email.

Sorted!
    Replaced the ceased
    Whale Premium water pump (Voltage: 12V DC. Specification: 13.2 litres per minute. Power Consumption: 3.8 amps. Pressure: 1.0 Bar)
    with a
    Whale High Flow water pump (Voltage: 12V DC. Specification: 15.8 litres per minute. Power Consumption: 3.8 amps. Pressure: 1.4 Bar).
    Seems to be a much better / quieter pump.

@Danke schön Jon! The German user manual is on the way! :-)

Advertisement