Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which subjects to take up in a year? Repeating LC.

Options
  • 23-08-2015 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi. I've decided to repeat the lc, after not getting into medicine this year. I didn't miss it by much but unfortunately for medicine, u have to repeat the whole lc, not specific subjects :( I did maths, english, a language, bio, chem physics and geo this year, all HL's. But I'm dropping geo, because I hated it. I found it hard to study, and I got the worst grade in it. I'm thinking of taking up business and accounting, which I enjoyed in the JC, got an A in business in HL, unfortunately can't compare JC to LC. Anyway, I was wondering whether I could take up these subjects in a year, if not, what other subjects would you recommend? Thank you so much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Hi. I've decided to repeat the lc, after not getting into medicine this year. I didn't miss it by much but unfortunately for medicine, u have to repeat the whole lc, not specific subjects :( I did maths, english, a language, bio, chem physics and geo this year, all HL's. But I'm dropping geo, because I hated it. I found it hard to study, and I got the worst grade in it. I'm thinking of taking up business and accounting, which I enjoyed in the JC, got an A in business in HL, unfortunately can't compare JC to LC. Anyway, I was wondering whether I could take up these subjects in a year, if not, what other subjects would you recommend? Thank you so much!

Why don't you just repeat HPAT on its own? You don't have to do LC along with HPAT when you repeat, you can carry LC results forward.

On the other hand, if you are very good at maths I'd recommend Accounting and Applied Maths. I got an A1 in Accounting and found it to be by and large very handy once you understood the principles involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Medicine2o15

I repeated and got medicine this year. Jumped from 525 to 605 so it is possible. I ended up doing 7 honours subjects this year. I kept up honours English, Irish, maths, home ec, biology and I swapped chem for phys/chem(much easier A1) and picked up business(defo doable in a year). Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

I have friends who took up business and accounting in a year and although they worked hard, they found the courses quite doable in that time. If you're willing to put a lot of work into them, I'm sure you'll manage just fine.

I don't know if it's an option for you but I took up Ag Science after Christmas in my LC year and got an A1 in it with not a lot of work to be honest. I'd recommend it to anyone. It's quite an easy subject to study, answers don't have to be nearly as specific as the other sciences and a huge amount of choice on the paper. Granted, the project is quite a bit of work but it's definitely manageable in the time you have and you learn quite a bit doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie1996

Have a look at Economics. It's a short course and many questions are very similar/predictable each year. If you take up Economics you can almost rely completely in the marking schemes to learn, you needn't know the book word for word at all.

That being said, questions and answers must be worded very specifically to get full marks and it's quite difficult to get an A1 so consider that.

If your school does it, you should think about Home Economics too. If you do Biology, Home Ec will be like second nature and even if you don't, a lot of it is common sense and the marking schemes are often quite flexible. Home ec was hugely popular with repeats in my school for this reason.

(If you do decide to take up either of these subjects, I have excellent notes that I used during 5th&6th year and have no use for now so give me a pm and I can send them to you :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie1996

One more thing, if you're good at physics and maths, applied maths could be for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement