Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorhome visit to Cinque Terre in Italy

Options
  • 12-05-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering if any of you have visited the Cinque Terre villages in North Western Italy as part of a motorhome trip. The road between the villages seems quite dicey in terms of tunnels. Where have any of you based yourselves out of? Did you just then get the train?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

The main road above the villages is fine - there are branch roads running down to the villages that get congested during the day, especially at the weekends.

There's an Airee di Sosta in one of them next to a marina - I'll look it up later on and post the details.
    Once you're parked up, just buy a three day ( or whatever ) rail/trail pass - it will be all you'll need to get around.

Edit:
    Here's one near Manarola: GPS Co-ordinates: 44.108646 / 9.732964 Haven't been there myself.
    Another above Riomaggiore: GPS Co-ordinates: 44.102028 / 9.742441 Passed this by a few times. It's a large lay-by on the main road overlooking the village of Riomaggiore. A bit isolated at night I would think.
    There's an interactive map on wwww.motorhomefacts.com that gives more details. http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Campsites&file=map

This one isn't on the map - I saw it in 2010 and it is in the Centre of Monterosso Al Mare right on the water's edge.
    GPS 44.144464° / 9.646821° This might be the best of the lot providing it hasn't disappeared in the meantime. If you look in street view you'll see the vans parked up.
    It's at the end of the trail and a short walk from the railway station.

Caveat:
    The main road overlooking the villages is an easy drive. The roads running from this down to the villages may be congested during busy
    times - my only experience was during a holiday weekend and it was mad. However it was no worse than many other touristy places in Italy and
    it quietens down in the evenings and mornings so you should be fine at these times.

I wouldn't let it put me off going there in any way. Riomaggiore and Vernazza are impossibly pretty and the walks are idyllic.
    Well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭yamiki

We always based ourselves in levanto, one village up from monterosso, and took the train to the villages, or walked. Camping "acqua dolce" is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

A few years ago we stayed HERE at Camping Fossa Lupara

The owner dropped us to and collected us from the local railway station for a few Euro.
    There is a 4 hour ticket which allows hop-on hop-off at each of the villages but because in reality it takes more than the 4 hours to see them properly buy two tickets (they are not expensive about €4 or €5 iirc). Don't forget to validate them before using them for the first time, for subsequent journeys there's no need.

I would not advise driving in a motorhome, some roads are restricted to those with residents permits, use the train.

BTW, Italian camp-sites are chock a block in the summer high season so don't expect much peace and quiet or space.

Advertisement