Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interconnector capacity query

• 19-07-2008 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

I came across this the other day:

http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Documents/Taking_the_Dart_underground.pdf

Now.

On page 11, the presentation states:

High capacity - In excess of 28,000 passengers in both directions

Frequency - In excess of 20 trains per hour

The most realistic interpretation of the above capacity figures is that there will be 20 trains per hour in each direction, though it doesn't specifically state it.

This is sensible on the part of Irish Rail. Their original idea of signalling only for up to 16 trains per hour was rather unambitious - even working at that level it would leave the tunnel being used at just above half of its theoretical capacity (realistically, around 30 trains per hour in each direction).

However, in order to use the tunnel to this increased capacity, it is necessary to have appropriate arrangements at either end. (i.e. turnback facilities to take account of capacity restraints on the lines leading to the tunnel, particularly the Northern line).

Heuston appears to have such a turnback facility (extra platforms), as shown in the station layout diagrams in the above presentation.

However, the layout of the proposed Spencer Dock station and its environs (on pages 40 and 41 of the presentation) do not appear to include any turnback facility. Rather, there are only two platforms in the station and an apparently straightforward connection to the Northern line.

In the absence of a turnback facility in or around Spencer Dock, how are the proposed frequencies (and capacities) to be achieved, given that it would not be possible for all tunnel services to use the Northern line because of the presence of Arrow and Enterprise services.

It's possible, of course, that the diagrams used are old ones - the diagram on page 43, for example, looks a bit out of place - but it may also be that Irish Rail have some very clever plan.

Does anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Thanks for posting a link to this PDF - I had forgot to follow it up after it was said it would be posted at the last council meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I thought Spencer Dock was getting 3 platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Victor wrote: »
    I thought Spencer Dock was getting 3 platforms.
    Maybe it is, though (as far as I can see) IR don't seem to be indicating that arrangement in their diagram in the presentation.

Perhaps it is an old diagram, and some more recent diagrams are available somewhere. (?)

If it actually is to be a two-platform station, it would be interesting to know what alternative arrangements are being lined up to allow the proposed frequencies.

Advertisement