Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking For A Date

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I bet the op is sorry they asked.
    Cook steak/don't cook steak /coook/this/cook that.

You just captured what I'm thinking now, I'll end up asking my hair dresser for advice now ha ha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I say go with your first thoughts, and you can always get her to help with the steak. She'll be very touched that you're cooking for her and won't expect it all to be professionally cooked and presented.
    It's much more important to enjoy the date, and too much pressure will only spoil it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Ah Paddy, you sound like a keeper! ;)

I think you have two options, you either go with steak and keep the accompaniments very simple or you cook an old reliable that you could do in your sleep!

If I was doing steak, I'd make sure to get nice cuts from the butcher, make sure you have a decent pan and make the rest of the dish as simple as possible. If I were you I would do a baked potato each as these don't involve any cooking and it will allow you to concentrate on the steaks. I'd also have a lovely big salad as well. Buy your lettuce pre-packed and make sure you have some nice vinaigrettes to go with it.

If you really have the heebie-jeebies about cooking steak then I would stay well clear, simply because it will cause you stress if you're fearful that they may not turn out well. What foods do you enjoy cooking? Something like a nice light Thai stirfry would be really simple, all the slicing and prep could be done beforehand, so all the cooking would only take up 15 minutes of your time. Or a yummy pasta dish where you precook the sauce and just add the pasta when she arrives.

I'd definitely stick with something simple and that you enjoy cooking as it will take the pressure off you then. Hope it goes well! :)

Merkin wrote: »
    Ah Paddy, you sound like a keeper! ;)

I think you have two options, you either go with steak and keep the accompaniments very simple or you cook an old reliable that you could do in your sleep!

If I was doing steak, I'd make sure to get nice cuts from the butcher, make sure you have a decent pan and make the rest of the dish as simple as possible. If I were you I would do a baked potato each as these don't involve any cooking and it will allow you to concentrate on the steaks. I'd also have a lovely big salad as well. Buy your lettuce pre-packed and make sure you have some nice vinaigrettes to go with it.

If you really have the heebie-jeebies about cooking steak then I would stay well clear, simply because it will cause you stress if you're fearful that they may not turn out well. What foods do you enjoy cooking? Something like a nice light Thai stirfry would be really simple, all the slicing and prep could be done beforehand, so all the cooking would only take up 15 minutes of your time. Or a yummy pasta dish where you precook the sauce and just add the pasta when she arrives.

I'd definitely stick with something simple and that you enjoy cooking as it will take the pressure off you then. Hope it goes well! :)

Cheers, well we've had to rearrange to tomorrow night which in one sense suits me a little better, but i'm working tomorrow night...Also I've managed to get my steak pan back so I've got a few nice fillet cuts today so I'm going to have a little test run for tonight with the steak:D two steaks in a week i'm living the dream :D

Was thinking

Start:
    Salad, with Feta & Black Olives

Main:
    Steak
    Asparagus w/Bacon Grilled
    Potatoes Gratin

Dessert:
    Homemade Banoffee Pie(Nothing spectacular but a least its tasty)

Was also thinking of some sort of Béarnaise sauce but was thinknig it might be a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Cheers, well we've had to rearrange to tomorrow night which in one sense suits me a little better, but i'm working tomorrow night...

Will you still want text updates from the match you'll be missing? :D

• Advertisement

Will you still want text updates from the match you'll be missing? :D

PM Sent, but yeah I still would love updates form the game please

Looks gorgeous! I don't think you need the béarnaise necessarily as there should be lots of moisture from the meat and the gratin. That's a lovely menu - lucky lady!

Merkin wrote: »
    Looks gorgeous! I don't think you need the béarnaise necessarily as there should be lots of moisture from the meat and the gratin. That's a lovely menu - lucky lady!

We'll see to be honest...At least it might make me stand out a little more than the average paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dessert:
    Homemade Banoffee Pie(Nothing spectacular but a least its tasty)

You would entirely win my heart with this. If I knew where you lived I'd be hiding in your bins, staring in the window by now

You would entirely win my heart with this. If I knew where you lived I'd be hiding in your bins, staring in the window by now

Really, its not that fancy I was going to try something more fancy but everything has chocolate(which she can't eat)

• Advertisement

I don't think dessert has to be fancy, it just has to be wonderful & Banoffee is wonderful. It looks great if you make little mini ones or decorate the cream with strawberries or banana chips or some such

Just a quick one re Potatoe Gratin...Will it be ok for me to peel and cut the pots tonight and keep them in water over night, just makes cooking and prep easier for tomorrow night

It really depends on the potato. I'd personally do them tomorrow because some do tend to darken and go a bit minging so best just to do them then I reckon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've had a serious, serious craving all day for bannoffee pie after reading that post earlier.

I won't get home till nearly 10 tonight with smelly (literally smelly, some people need to learn about deodorant and washing their 'smoking fleece' every so often) college and I'm half tempted to pick up cream & bananas on my way home. I have everything else!!

DO IT!

Go for it...Just eating my test run steaks...If my ones tomorrow are even 25% as nice as these I'll be very happy...I really missed my steak pan it seems...Did my steak 2 minutes each side, nice a pink in the middle and a lovely colour on the outside

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Go for it...Just eating my test run steaks...If my ones tomorrow are even 25% as nice as these I'll be very happy...I really missed my steak pan it seems...Did my steak 2 minutes each side, nice a pink in the middle and a lovely colour on the outside

I hope she appreciates all the effort and thought going into this meal :)

I hope she appreciates all the effort and thought going into this meal :)

So do I:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just a quick one re Potatoe Gratin...Will it be ok for me to peel and cut the pots tonight and keep them in water over night, just makes cooking and prep easier for tomorrow night

As long as you don't slice them they'll be fine. If you do slice them, par boil them after slicing and they'll keep fine.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    As long as you don't slice them they'll be fine. If you do slice them, par boil them after slicing and they'll keep fine.

Cheers was just thinking of peeling them and leaving them in water over night...

Just trying to make sure i can streamline my time for tomorrow, wanna get a shower once i get in the door from work, which will be around 6.25 all going well

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

I read that adding some lemon juice to the water that the sliced potatoes are kept in prevents them from dis-colouring, haven't tried it myself but maybe another boardsie can confirm.

Just with the Potaote gratin...How far from the top(position of the shelf?) should i place them?

This is the one i'm using http://www.recipesireland.com/side-dishes/391-creamy-garlic-potato-gratin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Don't forgot to have pineapple somewhere on the menu, depending on what number date it is and steer clear of asparagus

duploelabs wrote: »
    Don't forgot to have pineapple somewhere on the menu, depending on what number date it is and steer clear of asparagus

Why and Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Answer by PM only, please. ;)

Ta,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Answer by PM only, please. ;)

Ta,

tHB

Done, have to keep it kiddie friendly i guess

duploelabs wrote: »
    Done, have to keep it kiddie friendly i guess

Ohright by reading the mod note I think I can understand what that pm meant, I don't think I'll have to worry too much about that, I'm trying to not even think that far ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you want something easy and delicious why not go Asian? Something like Jamie Oliver's asian salmon (marinated and cooked in a sauce of soy, oil, ginger, garlic, and a good shake of 5 spice) served over rice is easy, quick, and very impressive. I love the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

So, how's it going? No gory details - just the food & level of appreciation for your culinary efforts. ;)

Advertisement