Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking For A Date

Options
  • 18-03-2014 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm just looking for some advice with regards to cooking for a lady, its our third date and I was thinking of doing steak(she does like steak)...I'm not the most consistent with steak to be honest as I'm not the all that fussy an eater...

Just looking for some advice on best ways to cook the steaks, most likely will be fillet steaks, and what sort of stuff to serve with the steak...

Ideally the most i can impress the better:D

P.S she is a fan of medium to rare steak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Congrats :pac:

Id say you want to have as much prepared as possible.

You could get some decent mushrooms and make a nice mushroom and brandy sauce. Veg wise, some grilled asparagus might be nice and obviously very quick & easy.

Potatoes are the opportunity to do something different. You could do a nice garlic gratin or even hasselback potatoes, they would look a bit more decorative.

If she likes it medium to rare just go with that. As long as you have a good quality fillet the rarer the better!

Be polite and ask her just before you cook them, how she would like hers cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To be honest, if I had no great history of cooking steaks well, I would do something else if I wanted to impress.

There are so many variables involved when it comes to presenting a good steak cooked well: the meat itself, the thickness of the cut, your frying pan/grill, your heat source, duration of cooking, finishing in the oven, resting, seasoning. It really isn't that easy to consistently produce a good steak - it took me years of practice and trial and lots of error to get to a point where I get it right most of the time. Yes you can get lucky and get it right but you are just as likely to get it wrong.

My advice would be to cook a stew/casserole/curry type thing. Something that can be done in advance, is hard to get wrong and can still impress. As for suggestions, well, what do you like? There are infinite recipes here on boards and elsewhere. Find something you like to look of, let us know here and we can critique the recipe.
    Maybe a light salad to start but keep it simple.
    In my experience, nothing woos a woman like a guy preparing a reasonably good meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I think some nice salads would be good too, such as (homemade) coleslaw, potato salad and perhaps some feta, sun-dried tomatoes and olives in small bowls to nibble :pac: at.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In my experience, nothing woos a woman like a guy preparing a reasonably good meal!

So true! I got to Mrs Billy's heart through her stomach. :D

299237.png

That ain't myoglobin! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Properly searing a steak is gonna make a lot of smoke and only if you've decent extraction, as much as it goes to a soft-focus look, that smell's gonna cling to everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

How about trying this http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rib-eye_steak_with_33722

Mary Berrys recipe to cook steak in advance. It you don't like blue cheese you could use a different sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I will suggest steering clear of the steak and doing something like a neapolitan ragu with pasta. You can make the pasta yourself if you wanna be cute about it. I add cinnamon to my ragu and it makes for an impressive-tasting meal that pairs perfectly with red wine.

good recipe: http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?language=2&Display=107&resolution=high you can adapt this pretty easily!

You can serve pasta as first plate, then the meat of the affair with veg and potato for mains. for dessert I would make somehing like a lava cake in ramekins which can be prepared in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Jezek wrote: »
    I will suggest steering clear of the steak and doing something like a neapolitan ragu with pasta. You can make the pasta yourself if you wanna be cute about it. I add cinnamon to my ragu and it makes for an impressive-tasting meal that pairs perfectly with red wine.

good recipe: http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?language=2&Display=107&resolution=high you can adapt this pretty easily!

You can serve pasta as first plate, then the meat of the affair with veg and potato for mains. for dessert I would make somehing like a lava cake in ramekins which can be prepared in advance.

Sorry I'm working of my phone so readin the link isn't too easy, is the ragu a meat free affair

Sorry I'm working of my phone so readin the link isn't too easy, is the ragu a meat free affair

basically you make the sauce with a big cut of beef, then you can serve the pasta with the sauce and serve the meat as a separate course. It's still beef and as tasty as any steak I ever had!

basically you make the sauce with a big cut of beef, then you can serve the pasta with the sauce and serve the meat as a separate course. It's still beef and as tasty as any steak I ever had!

That's quite a novel approach isn't it, or am I just too used to normal Irish meal composition

• Advertisement

Quite Italian actually.

Quite Italian actually.

I'm not well versed with Italian cuisine :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I say just go down the 'Varsity Blues' route, forgo the steak, get some whipped cream instead. :)

I say just go down the 'Varsity Blues' route, forgo the steak, get some whipped cream instead. :)

Apt username there:-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

My advice would be to cook a stew/casserole/curry type thing. Something that can be done in advance, is hard to get wrong and can still impress.

I have to agree with beer here - make something well in advance. It's impressive you know when someone tells me, "...this meat had been braised for 6 hours", I can imagine when she walks in the front door and the smell of slow-cooked dish would just tantalise her. You'd have plenty of time to get ready and relax, maybe have more time in prepping for a cocktail or two when she arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Quite Italian actually.
    The pasta and ragu maybe, but beef and potatoes, i'm not so sure. ;)

What type of beef cut would you recommend to use? Its only for two(herself is tiny by all accounts so not sure how much food she'll be able to eat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think stick to the steak but get it right. Get some good quality meat from a butcher. Let the meat come up to room temp before cooking it (take out of fridge a few hours in advance). Season the meat with salt and pepper. Cook on a blastingly hot pan and finish in oven.

Serve it with things that don't need last minute faffing. No sauce. Go for Garlic butter, mayo, ketchup. Keep it simple.

Do your veg in advance (salad or roasted veg) and ditto for spud. Either gratin, or wedges.

Lemon tart would be a good dessert. Can be done way in advance. Pavlova might also suit. Nice and light after big meat dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

How about making potato salad and coleslaw to serve with the steak - can be made well in advance. Or for an easy starter, get some marinated olives, sun-dried tomatoes, some cheese and crackers.

Finally, will all this be "YouTube'd" so we can all see how you get on? ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Make something that's she likes that's relatively handy.

Going all out to make a 'fancy' dinner is a great idea but it comes with a higher risk of going wrong.

At this stage, you don't need to showcase culinary skills. It's the date itself that's the important bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

If it were me OP id make tapas for the following reasons:

1. Goes well with either white or red wine.
    2. A few small dishes creates a talking point about the different foods etc.
    3. Shows off a wider range of flavours without killing yourself
    4. Easy to make and prepare.
    5. You both can eat as much or as little as you like, without feeling obligated that you need to clear the plate.

Something easy as Patatas Bravas, Prawns in Chilli oil, Parma ham and chorizo topped on crusty bread drilled in olive oil. Even something like Pepito Solomillio (Thinly sliced Sirloin/fillet steak on a nice crusty bread drizzled in garlic butter)

3/4 dishes there that would have you stuffed and are so quick to make and most of the work is done in advance.

Cheers for all the advice.

Think I've been scared from my steak approach.

The ragu approach looks awesome but just not sure about the combination of pasta start with meat in the separate dish. Could always just use the meat and keep the ragu for Saturday, serve the meat with potatoe cretan, with a spicy spawn starter.

Just maybe a slow cooked roast, with baked vegetable with fancy potatoes, which I suppose the spicy spawn starter.

Got dessert sorted anyways which is one thing I suppose

with a spicy spawn starter.

IT's only your third date:eek::eek:

Cheers for all the advice.

Think I've been scared from my steak approach.

The ragu approach looks awesome but just not sure about the combination of pasta start with meat in the separate dish. Could always just use the meat and keep the ragu for Saturday, serve the meat with potatoe cretan, with a spicy spawn starter.

Just maybe a slow cooked roast, with baked vegetable with fancy potatoes, which I suppose the spicy spawn starter.

Got dessert sorted anyways which is one thing I suppose

You can also just pull the meat apart and use it in the pasta sauce! or as you said use the meat separate. I would tell your butcher you need a cut of meat to cook slow and long, i use housekeepers cut as its cheap but you could do a lot better .

Would something like this be too simplistic?

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/print/389

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's actually quite time consuming though. I've made it loads of times. It's more a Sunday dinner thing.

Personally I'd stick to pasta or fish. Something simple that doesn't fill you up too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Roast beef takes time and a lot of prep, and if you cook like I cook a lot of clean up afterwards.

After all of which you are knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I would just season the steak with salt and pepper, rub in a little olive oil and into a hot pan, preferably a griddle pan if you have one (half price in Homestore and More at the moment!)
    Sear on both sides to seal then turn the heat down a little and leave for a few minutes.
    Let it rest before serving.

Potatoes - Boil up some potaotes, when soft take them out the water and leave to cool. Slice up, put a layer in an ovenproof dish and top with a little cheese and some frsh ground pepper. Keep layering this way - heat up some milk and cream and add some garlic to it for flavour and then pour over the potatoes and finish with a topping of cheese. This only takes 10 minutes to heat up in the oven, it goes all bubbly and lovely MMMMMM so good with steak!! Add crushed garlic between the layers if you really love it.

Veg - Something simple, maybe Asparagus or baby Brocolli, or I like to cut up some parsnips, carrots, red onions, red peppers and coat with a little olive oil, sprinkle some rosemary and roast in the oven for half an hour.

Best of luck :) you'll be fine!!

I bet the op is sorry they asked.
    Cook steak/don't cook steak /coook/this/cook that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For any further suggestions on cooking steak please refer to this thread.

tHB

Advertisement