Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would dead ferral cat make ferral cats leave?

Options
  • 05-08-2011 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

if ferral was cat kiled near its friends/ family would cat family leave home??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I doubt it, cats will generally stick around where they are getting regular feeds.
    Was the cat killed by a car? Just asking because if the cat was just found dead somewhere and the other cats dissapeared they're could be someone poisoning cats in the area or something horrible like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

cat entered my garden and my dog protecting my home and property killed it..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It won't make a difference to other feral cats if your dog has killed one. They'll keep coming and he may kill more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

john t wrote: »
    cat entered my garden and my dog protecting my home and property killed it..

Was it a cat burglar?
    I think most dogs chase and kill cats because they're small, hairy, and run away, thus activating a chase instinct most dogs have.
    I don't think it has anything to do with defending home or property.
    I'd imagine the cats, if they witnessed the event, will just stay out of reach of the dog, if the trade off is getting food on your property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Hope the postman won't meet a similar fate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

wont keep them away at all

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Take your dog to the vet. I would be concerned about the dog contracting diseases or parasites through such contact with a feral cat.

Most likely the other cats will learn to stay off the ground and torment your dog from a height.
    You would be better off getting in touch with a local animal rescue about trapping and neutering the feral cats.

Advertisement