Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man throws 5-year-old to alligators

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

This is a sick story alright, but I thought most people in Ireland would be against the death penalty? Sure, this guy should be locked away for life, but posts here seem to be advocating some kind of state sponsored torture/murder punishments? The government executing innocent families? (Timmymaggot's post) Is that really what people want?

Can't believe so many people here are advocating torture, and seem to have the idea of the sicker and more painful the torture, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

farohar wrote: »
    The big question is how do you deal with people like this, killing them just raises the issue of how are you any better, leaving them alive just leaves others at risk, as lets face it, when **** like this makes sense in your head I really doubt you are EVER going to learn any better...

We need a "No Escape" style island to deport such people to...

i disagree completetly

either life means life for serious crimes and one can opt for the death penalty if one has given up on an appeal

or a simple mirror retrubution

do it have it do to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

cjt156 wrote: »
    I do, terminate with extreme prejudice. Anyone care to explain why not?

If you abhor him taking life in such a cruel way, it's hypocritical to want to do (or want the state to do) the same to him.

If somebody did that to your family, it's understandable to want extreme revenge but the state is supposed to impartially consider the crime, and not exact mob revenge on behalf of victims.

I think keeping him away from society for life is the best course of action.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So who's going to perform this torture then and what kind of people are they that they can torture another human being?

there atre many people who would like to tortore people

its illegal at the mo and makes them criminal;s but they say a man is happy if his job is his hobby

Two wrongs make a right? Nope, I can't accept that in this context.

that is yer right

I don't have any answers but I think you'd have to be a pretty sick fcuk yourself to advocate or participate in torture of someone, no matter what they had done.

to advocate the torture of tihis man is not the same as to advocate the tortire of a human

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I do, terminate with extreme prejudice. Anyone care to explain why not?

innocent people would be put to death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I want him fed to the crocs, and make it snappy.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

seamus wrote: »
    Every time you see a Discovery channel special about vicious criminals and childkillers, they're always upstanding members of the local church.

What is it about Church that attracts all the sickos?

Why not pop over to the Christianity Forum and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

rbd wrote: »
    to advocate the torture of tihis man is not the same as to advocate the tortire of a human

Ridiculous. Of course he is a human. Very sick and ****ed up yes, but still human.

How arrogant can you be to assume that the human race is perfect, and that any sick, evil person like this mustn't be human?

plazzTT wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Of course he is a human. Very sick and ****ed up yes, but still human.

How arrogant can you be to assume that the human race is perfect, and that any sick, evil person like this mustn't be human?

attack the post not the poster

i don't assume the human race is perfect

i think that accepting evil is encouraging it and it'll take courage to fix the world or at least try

now kindly don't flame me again

if you have an acual point make it and i'll depate it with you

if yer a nutter flame warrior with no debating skills then (expletive deleted)

I hate that sort of over-zealous, burn them at the stake attidude whenever some crime inolves a child. How is it any different if its an adult who was brutally murdered?

kids are sweet and innocent, an adult is possibly a total bastard, plus adults have lived a lot longer so it's not so bad

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »

this is why i feel the only real answer is to give real life sentences and if the offender wishes he/she can opt for the death penaty
    i feel that this would mean the guilty could die and the innocent or highly optomistic could appeal

He called you arrogant. Hardly flaming now for somebody who thinks torture is acceptable.

Adults are just kids that have grown up.

oh its you again

first off he called my post redicilious ie worth of ridicule surley another word for flaming

then he called me arrogant

thats flaming
    that crap flaming but flaming none the less

and read the post he referd to

i answered the hypothetical post with a possaible answer

its rhetoric
    its disscussion

in a true democracy if the majority want touture on the books then thats the way to go

its about the flowing discussion of ideas and idealogoys this brillian cyber communication world we call the internet bud not about ramming antiquated ideas of right and wrong and justice down each others throats

that Justice Paul Carney Fella the other day said some thing about the irish justice system being anout the execution of the law as the statutes hold them rather than justice.

Am i likley to start a petition to put torture on the books

hardly

but i'm able to understand the gut feelings of those who feel something more than we have here in ireland is nessiciary

Attacking the post just like the charter says.

why

do0

you

type

like this?

Anybody who advocates torture is an evil scumbag. Now you logically follow that one to its conclusion.

well i can see i've met my match:rolleyes: here

Stick to the topic sugartits, I'm not getting into any pointless arguments here.

I graciously accept yer concession

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

stovelid wrote: »
    If you abhor him taking life in such a cruel way, it's hypocritical to want to do (or want the state to do) the same to him.
    I disagree, punishment and retribution are valid penalties for a crime. The ultimate crime (murder) warrants the ultimate penalty.

That's an objection to a flawed justice system, not the death penalty. "innocent people could be sent to jail" isn't a valid objection to a jail sentence,

That's an objection to a flawed justice system, not the death penalty. "innocent people could be sent to jail" isn't a valid objection to a jail sentence,

yes but innocent people can be let out of jail when the error is discovered, innocent people can't be brought back to life though

yes but innocent people can be let out of jail when the error is discovered, innocent people can't be brought back to life though

this is why i feel the only real answer is to give real life sentences and if the offender wishes he/she can opt for the death penaty
    i feel that this would mean the guilty could die and the innocent or highly optomistic could appeal

seems fair enough to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

i disagree completetly

either life means life for serious crimes and one can opt for the death penalty if one has given up on an appeal

or a simple mirror retrubution

do it have it do to you
    Clearly you have never seen the film "No Escape", go watch it, then come back and make a counter point which at least is a disagreement/agreement, not an agreement claiming to be a disagreement.

If you even took the time to look up the film's IMDB listing:
    Robbins is sent to prison for the assassination of his general officer, a prison you only get out of when you die. Since nobody ever gets out of the prison, nobody knows how the prison is like. The prison manager has realized this and bought himself an island (playground) called "Absolom" where the worst prisoners are let lose to create an isolated barbaric society where the strongest men rule - a living hell. This is where Robbins is dropped off after he almost kills the prison manager.

@moosejam & timmymaggot
    Again, that's like saying give a murderer community service; if an innocent person is convicted then at least he won't have gone to prison. Your problem is with the trial system, not the sentence.

So do you have no problem with a death sentence if someone is 100%, no doubt, self-confessed guilty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Unless of course you're innocent but found guilty.

Again, that's like saying give a murderer community service; if an innocent person is convicted then at least he won't have gone to prison. Your problem is with the trial system, not the sentence.

So do you have no problem with a death sentence if someone is 100%, no doubt, self-confessed guilty?

I'd have no problem with a death sentence if someone is 100%, no doubt, self-confessed guilty but in the majority of cases this isn't so, there's always a chance you will put an innocent person to death and any chance at all is too big.

I disagree, punishment and retribution are valid penalties for a crime. The ultimate crime (murder) warrants the ultimate penalty.

It's your prerogative to believe that, but punishment and retribution haven't proved to be that preventative over the years, have they?

The fact that a nutter can do that to his family in a state where capital punishment exists doesn't say much for the preventative power of execution, does it?

@ moosejam
    Fair enough. Although with modern science and the rights of the accused I'd say the chances of an innocent going down for murder are slim to non-existent.

So, baseball bat or pliers & a blow-torch for crocodile-man?

It's your prerogative to believe that, but punishment and retribution haven't proved to be that preventative over the years, have they?

I never said I was looking for prevention. Punishment and retribution are valid in and of themselves.

How successful is our current system in prevention?

I never said I was looking for prevention. Punishment and retribution are valid in and of themselves.

How successful is our current system in prevention?

At least we're getting to the rub of it now. The penal system isn't about protecting society from criminals; it isn't about trying to prevent crime; it's about exacting mob revenge.

Of course, if you ever end up in court yourself, you would still champion the latter?

At least we're getting to the rub of it now. The penal system isn't about protecting society from criminals; It isn't about trying to prevent crime; It's about exacting mob revenge.

Of course, if you ever end up in court yourself, you would still champion the latter?

MOB revenge? ehhh, OK.

Either you believe crime should be punished or you don't. Do you propose we send criminals to the Bahamas to protect us from them, and to prevent crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

plazzTT wrote: »

Is he, or anybody else for that matter, 'arrogant' for believing that human beings shouldn't go around committing the crimes that the individual in the article committed, and that he forfeited his right to live amongst fellow human beings when he did? Thats certainly my belief, anyone who takes the life of another, and is found guilty without any doubt, loses their own right to life. It's simple as that.

Death by lethal injection is still going to be a fairer deal that what that poor 5year old went through.

farohar wrote: »
    Clearly you have never seen the film "No Escape", go watch it, then come back and make a counter point which at least is a disagreement/agreement, not an agreement claiming to be a disagreement.

If you even took the time to look up the film's IMDB listing:

i am fully aware of the film

i dont think that throwing the possably innocent to a hell hole run by a madman aned policed by charachters stolen from amd max is a good foundation for a juduicial deterent

so i disagree

i then go on to give a slightly less imaganitave method

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Unless of course you're innocent but found guilty.

no if yer innocent you appeal

Advertisement