Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever hear of the MOOMINS???

Options
  • 04-08-2005 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

What a gay cartoon I used to watch when I was younger but hey!! Saw it a year or so back on Cartoon Network and Boomerang,I tink it is like japanese but NOT anime style, anyone remember it????

9.jpg

moomin-the-moomins-greetings.gif

They like made a computer game for the gameboy color too but I can only remember reading a crappy review in an old computer mag.

So anyone else watch it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

There of finnish descent I believe, from Muumit. The cartoon was actually quite mild. The puppet version however traumatised an entire generation of the UK's youth, I recently remembered watching it only by undergoing regression therapy. Sitting in the pub the other night with a group of friends from Glasgow all in their mid to late twenties I was the only one who could remember watching it.

Scary stuff indeed.

http://users.tinyworld.co.uk/moomin_troll/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Finnish? It seemed a bit weird, I thought it was japanese cos in the ending credits it said somethin "TV Tokyo" somewhere and I guess they just bought the cartoon so stupid me!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Its finnish alright. Was in Helsinki and seen Moomins everywhere. (In the shops that is)

Its finnish alright. Was in Helsinki and seen Moomins everywhere. (In the shops that is)

Weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Indeed, although Ulysses 31 was always on after the Moomins so that compensated for their scandanavian oddness a fair bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

There was something particurlarly creepy about that show - it was always quite dark and the characters were all a little off. I remember as a kid i was absolutely terrified by this weird episode with this shadow thing that was stalking the moomins - it made this weird whistling noise that I kept imagining I heard - my guess it was made by somebody who was a heavy substance abuser - possibly sugar - to this day I cant remember anything story,character or plot related about it which leads me to believe that it consistantly wiped our memories afterwards so that we only kept the most traumatising things in our minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I only remember the puppet version myself.

It was kinda of like watching a bunch of retarded bipedal hippos walking around in the dark and talking very slowly&quietly.

I'm sure I saw a good few eps of it when I was a kidbut I have very few memories (fond or otherwise) of anything that actually went on in that show. Probably if you watched an ep today their'd be all sorts of coded sex, drugs & satanic messages in there but I doubt I'll ever bother to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The books they are based on are Finnish, but the cartoon was japanese/european collaboration in much the same way as Mysterious Cities of Gold and Ulysses 31.

I saw an episode recently that was very good. It was a Christmas special and since the Moomins hibernate in the winter they didn't know what Christmas was. Someone told them that Chiristmas was coming, and they all got really scared as they thought it was a monster of some sort. They even left lots of gifts out to appease Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

segaBOY wrote:
    9.jpg
    That's the new Moomins, not the old school one with puppets.

The books they are based on are Finnish, but the cartoon was japanese/european collaboration in much the same way as Mysterious Cities of Gold and Ulysses 31.

I saw an episode recently that was very good. It was a Christmas special and since the Moomins hibernate in the winter they didn't know what Christmas was. Someone told them that Chiristmas was coming, and they all got really scared as they thought it was a monster of some sort. They even left lots of gifts out to appease Christmas.

What channel was it on boy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Hercule wrote:
    my guess it was made by somebody who was a heavy substance abuser - possibly sugar

:D

I didn't know there was a cartoon version!

Only ever seen the 'fuzzy-felt' version (showing my age now!) and I'm sure it was Finnish as they lived in a forest that was supposed to be somewhere in Finland. Very weird show.

Kolodny wrote:
    :D

I didn't know there was a cartoon version!

Only ever seen the 'fuzzy-felt' version (showing my age now!) and I'm sure it was Finnish as they lived in a forest that was supposed to be somewhere in Finland. Very weird show.

I was probably even a bit too old to even be watching the Cartoon version :D , I tink I was 11

segaBOY wrote:
    I was probably even a bit too old to even be watching the Cartoon version :D , I tink I was 11

Ha ha I remember one day my older brother came into the TV room and that fisherman in the green clothes and the pointy hat (he is pretty much the only human in the show) was playing his harmonica

My brother goes "look, that white thing is still in bed and that pr!ck is playing the harmonica outside his window, if that was me in bed I would go out there and kick the sh!t outta him"

Way to ruin my childhood cartoon bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

moomins are huuuuge here in finland. there is a few shops in the centre that have moomin toys etc, and one of the main design brands have an entire ceramic range based on the characters. they were written by a finnish woman of swedish heritage who lived in most of her life in the finnish archipeligo near turku (i think). (the books were originally written in swedish, but are still considered part of finnish culture)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomins
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tove_Jansson

there is also a moomin theme park a couple of hours west of helsinki in a town called naantali (near turku/åbo). a few friends have visited it and loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Aw man I f**kin loved them, back in the day!

They left such a lasting impression on my family that one of my elder sisters started callin our mother "Moomin" and it caught on. It is with a little embarrassment that I tell ya that I still call mum Moomin...Sad, I know.

But the moomins... Just classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I make a point of taking the kids to see the Moomins every summer as it's only 20 mins drive away. So it's Finnish yes.

Advertisement