Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sat dish on front of house

• 24-10-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Is it illegal to install sat dish on front of house in dublin? Neighbour installed a sky dish bang smack on front of hoisr. Its a rental house as the owners have gone travelling.

Looks appalling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

teflon wrote: »
    Is it illegal to install sat dish on front of house in dublin? Neighbour installed a sky dish bang smack on front of hoisr. Its a rental house as the owners have gone travelling.

Looks appalling
    Contact local council.

They can fit at side or rear of house/chimney.

You are correct it is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Contact local council.

They can fit at side or rear of house/chimney.

You are correct it is illegal.

I thought it was illegal too..

Hasn't stopped people where I live though ... Lots of houses with them stuck onto the front of the house.

Some are there years and nothing ever done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Neighbour installed a sky dish bang smack on front of hoisr...

Looks appalling

Don't look at it then. Thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057307951

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They have to face a certain point in the sky, so might have to be on the front of the house if there is nowhere else that is suitable.

Having said that, installers are often lazy and put it up in an ugly location when they could put it somewhere more discrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

NIMAN wrote: »
    They have to face a certain point in the sky, so might have to be on the front of the house if there is nowhere else that is suitable.

Having said that, installers are often lazy and put it up in an ugly location when they could put it somewhere more discrete.

You are right it has to point at a certain degree/angle but this can be achieve at the side or rear of any property with maybe an exception of something huge blocking line of sight.

Poles and extensions can be fitted there is no excuse to have it fitted on the front only it's cheaper and less run for cable most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

Every other house has it on the chimney breast. They could have put it on the side of the house also and received a signal. They are just the kind of people that are too laid back and dont care as its not their house. Its just that i personally think it looks dreadful.

Agree that many installers will put them in the handiest place they can, with no regard for how it actually looks.

I think there should be stricter laws on satellite dishes, as they are not pretty things. I know its not always easy to install a dish out of sight, but like many have said, with a little effort they can be located cleverly.

My pet hate is to see a line of terrace houses, each with a dish up, or a set of apartments all with one outside. There is a chance here for the number of dishes to be cut significantly if people share a dish. You can get Octo LNBs, which would mean that one dish could serve Sky+ boxes in 4 separate houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Every other house has it on the chimney breast. They could have put it on the side of the house also and received a signal. They are just the kind of people that are too laid back and dont care as its not their house. Its just that i personally think it looks dreadful.
    I think there should be stricter laws on satellite dishes, as they are not pretty things.

I believe the laws in ROI are stricter than NI. Did either of you look at the thread I linked to? It would seem it's more a case of planning regs. not being enforced.

If the appearence or unlawfulness of satellite dishes is something that offends you, get onto your local authority.

Another example of lazy installers are those who mount the dish on a chimney using a wall bracket. It can be dangerous in the event of high winds. Should only use a lashing kit on chimneys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Agree that many installers will put them in the handiest place they can, with no regard for how it actually looks.

I think there should be stricter laws on satellite dishes, as they are not pretty things. I know its not always easy to install a dish out of sight, but like many have said, with a little effort they can be located cleverly.

My pet hate is to see a line of terrace houses, each with a dish up, or a set of apartments all with one outside. There is a chance here for the number of dishes to be cut significantly if people share a dish. You can get Octo LNBs, which would mean that one dish could serve Sky+ boxes in 4 separate houses.

For electrical safety reasons this should NEVER be done . Such a system would need independent earth bonding .

• Advertisement

Never knew that.

Advertisement