Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY box set - has it changed recently ?

Options
  • 22-08-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

I'm with sky a few month and know i had access to the SKY Box Sets I was watching the wire and mad men on it.

I just went to watch another episode and it's gone .. Asking me to upgrade to watch.

I'm on my phone now and tired so didn't check google etc

My package is entertainment plus

Would I have been on. Free trail or something ?

Or have they moves it to a different package

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think I read somewhere that you would need the HD Pack in order to get the box sets, though I'm not fully sure on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

From September onwards you'll need HD for the box sets yeah. Not sure why yours is gone now though. Give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

just read on there site

*From 30 September, ROI customers will require a Sky HD subscription to access Box Sets.

robbing ba$tards !

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ankhyu wrote: »
    From September onwards you'll need HD for the box sets yeah. Not sure why yours is gone now though. Give them a ring.
    Ah, thought I heard something alright. Thanks for clarifying, as I wasn't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

NeVeR wrote: »
    just read on there site

*From 30 September, ROI customers will require a Sky HD subscription to access Box Sets.

robbing ba$tards !

Hardly robbing when most of their customers hand it over without hesitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

lertsnim wrote: »

I got the letter advising me of this change and "generously" offering me half price HD for a year (subject to a year commitment).
    I joined Sky in April, before this change was announced on their website.
    I assume therefore that in view of Sky changing the agreed package mid contact that anyone under a similar contract could cancel without penalty if they wished (not sure if they would take their equipment back but I presume they would.)
    I'm waiting for a reply from Sky and will post when I get it.
    Has anyone else tried cancelling for this reason and what was the result?

I got the letter advising me of this change and "generously" offering me half price HD for a year (subject to a year commitment).
    I assume therefore that in view of Sky changing the agreed package mid contact that anyone under a similar contract could cancel without penalty if they wished (not sure if they would take their equipment back but I presume they would.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

It says in your contract that Sky can make limited variations to your service and price in any 12 month period, and that you'll be given advance notice of any changes.

Not sure if they'd let you cancel without penalty if you're in contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 A.M.

I sent an email complaining to Sky that they should not be charging for a feature that was previously free and asking for an explanation. I received a crap reply which did not explain anything. Sky obviously believe they can do what they like, charge what they like and don't care about their customers. I've been with Sky a long time but am sick of the costs - I'm signing up to Netflix !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I got a letter telling me I'm now getting free HD for six months, automatically. Anyone else get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

I got this letter too ....

Wish i'd got this one though :(
    I got a letter telling me I'm now getting free HD for six months, automatically. Anyone else get this?

I'm reluctant to switch back to UPC though cause i can't stand dealing with them ... And I think sky atlatnic is fab !! I might have to fork it out i think :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 crowem

Yeah me too with the letter - i sent two emails and eventually got back the response that in the terms and conditions they can make changes to the package - so basically can do what they like.... totally angry about it as i signed with them the end of feb and maybe would went with someone else if the box sets werent included. I sent conor pope on the ray darcy show an email yesterday asking if they changed the package surely i can cancel it as it is not the package i agreed to? so hopefully he will air it next monday or send me a reply.... wish everyone would bombard sky with angry emails about it and maybe they would think twice.... not getting the extra money from me anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just been onto Sky about it, waste of time ringing them although the guy I spoke to did say it was unfair but then went onto to say that it was done to get more customers to subscribe to HD and this extra money will be used to improve future programs, yeah right...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I got this letter too ....

Wish i'd got this one though :(

I'm reluctant to switch back to UPC though cause i can't stand dealing with them ... And I think sky atlatnic is fab !! I might have to fork it out i think :(

Not sure why I'm getting offered free HD for six months and everyonr else is only getting it half price, but I'm due to renew next month and they may fear I'd get a little angry about it.

Which I would.

Not sure why I'm getting offered free HD for six months and everyonr else is only getting it half price, but I'm due to renew next month and they may fear I'd get a little angry about it.

Which I would.
    I got no offer at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Just been onto Sky about it, waste of time ringing them although the guy I spoke to did say it was unfair but then went onto to say that it was done to get more customers to subscribe to HD and this extra money will be used to improve future programs, yeah right...

More likely they are desperate to migrate everyone to a HD box so they can cut out cardsharing of their service completely.

Email reply from Sky:
    I understand that you wish to have Box Sets however, not happy to pay for the Sky + HD Subscription, which is increasing your bill. I apologise for the inconvience caused to you.

Sky aims at providing the best of the product and services. I was disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered with addition of Box Sets to customers who have Sky + HD subscription. We value you as a customer and assure you that your feedback has been taken into
    consideration. We will also implement this feedback to improve the service we provide.

Sky changes offers regularly and most offers are available only for
    a limited period of time. Different customers are given different offers as per their subscription. The best way to get the most up to date information about our offers is to check our website at the following link: http://www.sky.com/ireland/customer-shop/customer-offers/

Alternatively, please contact the Customer Service, one of my colleague will be able to assist you with discounts that can reduce the bill. I appreciate your time and patience.

I hope this information has helped you.
    Can't even spell inconvenience correctly :rolleyes:

And a reply from Sky over on their Facebook page:

Thanks for taking the time to post on our Facebook wall and I apologise for
    the late reply.

I'm sorry to read that you are happy with the recent changes to our packages in Republic of Ireland meaning you will now need to have HD or upgrade to our Family Bundle, to be able to watch TV Box Sets on On Demand. This is been brought in line to match what has already happened in the UK. Sky is continually investing in content for our customers and since launching On Demand content for Irish customers in 2012 we currently offer more box sets of the latest shows than any other Pay TV or online subscription service, including nine times more than UPC. However in order to continue to add new high quality titles it is necessary to introduce this change.

But all customers with a connected Sky+HD set-top box will continue to be
    able to access Catch Up TV at no extra cost, plus sports and movies on demand in line with your subscription.

We want you to get the most from Sky TV and we continue to find ways to
    deliver this, including the launch of Sky Atlantic in 2011, which is exclusive
    to Sky customers, the launch of Sky Go, and the introduction of Sky On Demand, which provides access to thousands of hours of TV content and greater flexibility and control over how customers watch their favourite shows.

There will be no change to your current subscription price unless you choose
    to upgrade.

I hope this information has helped however if you do have any further
    questions, then please don't hesitate to ask.

https://www.facebook.com/sky/posts/871564476196308?comment_id=872056962813726&offset=0&total_comments=1&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment

Ankhyu wrote: »
    It says in your contract that Sky can make limited variations to your service and price in any 12 month period, and that you'll be given advance notice of any changes.

Not sure if they'd let you cancel without penalty if you're in contract.

Still waiting for them to reply to my email. The contract I was given when I joined said:

You may end this contract at any time including during the Minimum Term by giving us 7 days notice within 21 days of receiving notice from us if you reasonably consider that you would be materially disadvantaged by any reduction in the number of Channels within, or the level of service of, your chosen Basic Pack.

Will keep resending........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I noticed the HD pack was added to my account for next month's bill and the amount due is zero

I will still not pay for the HD pack after April 2015 as I have HD from freesat/saorview under the TV licence fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,860 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ftakeith wrote: »
    I will still not pay for the HD pack after April 2015 as I have HD from freesat/saorview under the TV licence fee
    Not sure of your point here as Freesat is the UK equivalent of Saorsat and nothing to do with your licence here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

I noticed the HD pack was added to my account for next month's bill and the amount due is zero

Can you actually view the HD channels? I also have HD added to my account but the channels aren't available. Getting the "use red button or call this number" caption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Will box sets already downloaded disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Kalyke wrote: »
    Will box sets already downloaded disappear?

As far as I know they'll still show in your planner but if you go to view them you'll get the message to say you need to upgrade to view

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

statto25 wrote: »
    Can you actually view the HD channels? I also have HD added to my account but the channels aren't available. Getting the "use red button or call this number" caption.

yes I can view the hd channels and hd on demand content

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

yes I can view the hd channels and hd on demand content

Still not appearing for me. I might give them a call.

Still waiting for them to reply to my email. The contract I was given when I joined said:

You may end this contract at any time including during the Minimum Term by giving us 7 days notice within 21 days of receiving notice from us if you reasonably consider that you would be materially disadvantaged by any reduction in the number of Channels within, or the level of service of, your chosen Basic Pack.

Will keep resending........

Sky have allowed me terminate my contract early with no penalty.

Not sure of their logic - I told them I would have been happy to continue with them if they gave me HD free for the remainder of my contract so that I could access box sets, but rather than concede that, they opted for the costlier option to them of losing my subscription for the remaining months and, for what it's worth, I get to keep the box and dish

Advertisement