Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail Best Station Awards 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I've heard so much about broombridge train station but I've never been to it. Would you's advise me to check it out in person or on google maps to prevent me from getting mugged?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Its safe enough to check it out in person .

The video for The Humpback bridge by Westboyslife was filmed there. check it out on youtube :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

We love you Broombridge, we do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Grass between the tracks

Another vote for Broombridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

nbar12 wrote: »
    I've heard so much about broombridge train station but I've never been to it. Would you's advise me to check it out in person or on google maps to prevent me from getting mugged?

Check it out on Streetview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I am going to FOI them for the figures. Worth €15 I say.
    Maybe if you understood anything about FOI it would help. CIE/IE are not subject to FOI.

This thread belongs in after hours with the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

of course the vote will be rigged to bar Broombridge from the top placings, despite huge numbers of vote on here and other forums in recent years it's never made it to the publicised lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Looking at the voting form it seems there's some sort of user id parameter. I was thinking they'd use that to ensure everyone has just one vote but it doesn't seem to change even if my ip changes or if I'm on incognito (no cookies) so maybe not.

If they don't resort to IP address checking then a certain program that a certain somebody wrote just voted for Broombridge 100 times with randomised emails and 085 numbers. Or so I hear. :pac: Certain someone even sent me a screenshot

If they don't resort to IP address checking then a certain program that a certain somebody wrote just voted for Broombridge 100 times with randomised emails and 085 numbers. Or so I hear. :pac: Certain someone even sent me a screenshot

haha, awesome :pac:

of course the vote will be rigged to bar Broombridge from the top placings, despite huge numbers of vote on here and other forums in recent years it's never made it to the publicised lists.

Huge numbers? How do you work that one out? A few saying they voted for Broombridge here doesnt give it huge numbers.

• Advertisement

Looking at the voting form it seems there's some sort of user id parameter. I was thinking they'd use that to ensure everyone has just one vote but it doesn't seem to change even if my ip changes or if I'm on incognito (no cookies) so maybe not.

You can only vote once with the same IP address. I tried to vote again but it just told me that ive already voted in the same way as the polls on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You can only vote once with the same IP address. I tried to vote again but it just told me that ive already voted in the same way as the polls on here.

That's a cookie not an IP address check. If you delete the cookie, use a different browser or go incognito in Chrome it will let you vote again. All that means though is that you can submit as many votes as you want. For all we know they could be logging the IP of each vote and disregarding duplicates. No way to know though.

Huge numbers? How do you work that one out? A few saying they voted for Broombridge here doesnt give it huge numbers.
    In previpus years there were no such limits and iirc over 1300 vote were cast by posters here for it alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You wouldnt be far wrong but not quite as extreme as you put it but all stations should be up to the best standard possible anyway without being told to up the game incase they get a visit. The visit of the daily passenger should be the prime importance rather than the potential visit of a mystery passenger.

So all stations should have their accessible toilets unlocked and all wheelchair entrances opened to the public? This is not the case in Carlow Heuston and several other stations around the country!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So all stations should have their accessible toilets unlocked and all wheelchair entrances opened to the public? This is not the case in Carlow Heuston and several other stations around the country!

I'd say a key available on request or opened on request for the toilet when the station is manned. Are wheelchairs able to go through the booking office and if locked a gate left opened?

In previpus years there were no such limits and iirc over 1300 vote were cast by posters here for it alone

That doesnt mean that it came top or even close to it. You need to find out the figures for the other stations before giving out about it.

I'd say a key available on request or opened on request for the toilet when the station is manned. Are wheelchairs able to go through the booking office and if locked a gate left opened?
    There is a wheelchair accessible door but it is kept locked at all times, it is the only way wheelchair users can get into the toilets and waiting room and booking office.

Staff are not always sitting in the booking office to watch out for wheelchair users rolling up to the step outside and shouting in to look for the door to be unlocked and people should not have to ask for a toilet to be unlocked just because they are wheelchair bound! able bodied people do not have to jump through the hoops that the disabled are expected to go through by Irish rail.

Wheelchair users are inconvenienced greatly by Irish Rails accessibility policies!

There is a wheelchair accessible door but it is kept locked at all times, it is the only way into the toilets and waiting room and booking office.

Staff are not always sitting in the booking office to watch out for wheelchair users rolling up to the step to ask for the door to be unlocked and people should not have to ask for a toilet to be unlocked just because they are wheelchair bound! able bodied people do not have to jump through the hoops that the disabled are expected to go through by Irish rail.

Wheelchair users are inconvenienced greatly by Irish Rails accessibility policies!

They are locked to stop them being abused ( the toilets Foggy not the wheelchair users ) .
    I dont think any disabled people are jumping through hoops now Foggy do you.
    I dont know Carlow station but i find it strange that anyone in a wheelchair cant make their way into the booking office via a ramp or a lift or onto the platform if the booking office is closed.

They are locked to stop them being abused ( the toilets Foggy not the wheelchair users ) .
    I dont think any disabled people are jumping through hoops now Foggy do you.
    I dont know Carlow station but i find it strange that anyone in a wheelchair cant make their way into the booking office via a ramp or a lift or onto the platform if the booking office is closed.
    The only way into the booking office without having to negotiate steps is the locked door! It is not that strange at all and if they are worried about wheelchair cubicles being abused they should close up all the cubicles as the general ones are probably at much greater risk of abuse by the types that would cause damage.

As for jumping through hoops, a wheelchair user must enter through the gates going past the locked door and go around along the platform 1 to the booking office door. if the station is busy they wont be seen by staff as the booking office is tiny and with a few people in a que staff would not see you in a wheelchair outside. when they eventually gain the attention of staff they must go back out to the gate and wait for the door to be opened from the inside before they can access the toilets or waiting room or booking office! Thousands was spent on doing up this station a few years ago to make it wheelchair accessible only for it to now be off limits to wheelchairs!

The able-bodied can easily access the waiting room while those in a wheelchair are left out in the wind and rain on platform 1!

Forget about it if you want to use platform 2.

• Advertisement

The only way into the booking office without having to negotiate steps is the locked door! It is not that strange at all and if they are worried about wheelchair cubicles being abused they should close up all the cubicles as the general ones are probably at much greater risk of abuse by the types that would cause damage.

As for jumping through hoops, a wheelchair user must enter through the gates going past the locked door and go around along the platform 1 to the booking office door. if the station is busy they wont be seen by staff as the booking office is tiny and with a few people in a que staff would not see you in a wheelchair outside. when they eventually gain the attention of staff they must go back out to the gate and wait for the door to be opened from the inside before they can access the toilets or waiting room or booking office! Thousands was spent on doing up this station a few years ago to make it wheelchair accessible only for it to now be off limits to wheelchairs!

The able-bodied can easily access the waiting room while those in a wheelchair are left out in the wind and rain on platform 1!

Get on to Irish Rail about it .

Forget about it if you want to use platform 2.
    Considering the Barrow Crossing can't be used because of health and safety rubbish, although it regularly is used by the great staff accompanied by elderly passengers:D

Anyone in a wheelchair must give a few days notice and their train is diverted onto platform one and if that is not possible they are de-trained at Athy or Mhuine Beag and taxied home!

Get on to Irish Rail about it .
    What's the point? Thay are well aware of the situation!

Considering the Barrow Crossing can't be used because of health and safety rubbish, although it regularly is used by the great staff accompanied by elderly passengers:D

Anyone in a wheelchair must give a few days notice and their train is diverted onto platform one and if that is not possible they are de-trained at Athy or Mhuine Beag and taxied home!
    That is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

Get onto them again and again if they don't respond and follow it up with the Ombudsman if necessary. No point in raising it here if you actually want something done about it.

The point is that you get to air your concerns and there is more point in telling them that you have an issue with it than us on here.
    Fill out a feedback form outlining your concerns asking for an answer back via phone, e-mail, post etc.
    Post it on their facebook page, twitter.
    Ring Joe Duffy.
    Contact the media,
    You TD.
    Ask the Wheelchair association of Ireland as to what they have done about it.

I take it it doesnt get your vote for the best station then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

Obviously it's a great laugh to vote for Broombridge but IE are well aware of the various online campaigns to vote for it.

The real issue is not IE's perceived lack of care and maintenance but the skangers who take it upon themselves to destroy any equipment installed there.

The real answer will ultimately be to have the station manned and secured. With the development of the LUAS interchange there may be an opportunity to develop the area and reduce the current state of isolation that encourages the high levels of destruction at Broombridge.

The point is that you get to air your concerns and there is more point in telling them that you have an issue with it than us on here.
    Fill out a feedback form outlining your concerns asking for an answer back via phone, e-mail, post etc.
    Post it on their facebook page, twitter.
    Ring Joe Duffy.
    Contact the media,
    You TD.
    Ask the Wheelchair association of Ireland as to what they have done about it.

I take it it doesnt get your vote for the best station then?
    Apart from that issue the station is always tidy and well kept and the staff the same so they got my vote:)

Few days notice? who told you that one Foggy?
    health and safety rubbish? Whats rubbish about health and safety?

• Advertisement

Apart from that issue the station is always tidy and well kept and the staff the same so they got my vote:)

So the disabled access is less of an issue than the upkeep of the station then?
    :confused:

Advertisement