Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lesbos locals lose lesbian appeal

• 22-07-2008 8:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Lesbos locals lose lesbian appeal

Residents claim using the term to refer to gay women insults their identity
    Three residents of the Greek island of Lesbos have lost an attempt to ban the use of the word "lesbian" to describe gay women.

The residents argued that using the term in reference to gay women insulted their identity.

But an Athens court ruled there was no justification for their contention that they felt slighted, saying the word did not define the islanders' identity.

Greeks often refer to the island as Mytilene, after its capital.

"This is a good decision for lesbians everywhere," Vassilis Chirdaris, lawyer for the Gay and Lesbian Union of Greece, told Reuters news agency.

Court expenses

The island's name was applied to gay women in acknowledgement of the female poet Sappho, who wrote love poems about both women and men in about 600 BC.

The man spearheading the case, publisher Dimitris Lambrou, had claimed that international dominance of the word in its sexual context violated the human rights of the islanders - who call themselves Lesbians - and disgraces them around the world.

He argued it caused daily problems to the social life of Lesbos's inhabitants.

But the court disagreed, ordering the plaintiffs to pay court expenses of 230 euros ($366), although they could appeal the decision.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7520343.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44617000/gif/_44617060_lesbos_01052008.gif

All I can say is :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

That is all I have to say on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's Les Bos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Terry wrote: »
    It's Les Bos.

Fraudulent slip by the BBC im sure.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I think it's pronounced Lesvos by the Greeks anyway. If it's such a big deal to them then they should do like Cyrprus and become Lesbiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

LadyJ wrote: »
    I think it's pronounced Lesvos by the Greeks anyway. If it's such a big deal to them then they should do like Cyrprus and become Lesbiots.

Or lesbots.

Mmmmmmmmmmm Les-bots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lesbos exists!!!!!!!!
    The long lost city of enticement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

[Doug comes into the Sidewinder without a shirt on]
    Doug: What's up, Josh? Give me two packs of cigarettes today. Working overtime: Sixteen hours.
    [Puts malt liquir bottle on the counter]
    Doug: And nature's nectar, wake-up juice. And give me six of these beef jerkys. I'm hungry enough to chew the crotch out of a rag doll.
    [Sidewinder Boss spots him]
    Sidewinder Boss: Hey. Hey. How many times do I have to tell you? No shirt, no service. Get the hell out of my store. What do you think this is, Club Med?
    Doug: It's called America, dude. Learn the rules.
    Sidewinder Boss: "Learn the rules?" No, YOU learn the rules. We Greeks invented democracy.
    Doug: You also invented homos.
    Sidewinder Boss: **** you.
    Doug: You wish. You gotta buy me dinner first.

Edit: It's on youtube. yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Am I the only one who read the thread title to fast and thought the first words were "lesbo lolcats"?

IM ON UR GIRL-CATZ. EATIN TEH PUSSY.

* I dont have photoshop, so either visualise a generic lolcat in your head or go make one for me........

The island's name was applied to gay women in acknowledgement of the female poet Sappho, who wrote love poems about both women and men in about 600 BC.

Cool! Sounds like she was an ideal lesbian, mediterranean tanned with the long black hair, who didnt mind doing it for male entertainment and could go back to regular after the show was over, as opposed to some muscled truck driving Iraq veteran lady that has a bigger basis in realism.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I was about to be really impressed by the alliteration on display in the title of this thread.
    I cannot believe that it is the same as the news story title and just a lazy lazy OP.
    I am now sickened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

[Doug comes into the Sidewinder without a shirt on]
    Doug: What's up, Josh? Give me two packs of cigarettes today. Working overtime: Sixteen hours.
    [Puts malt liquir bottle on the counter]
    Doug: And nature's nectar, wake-up juice. And give me six of these beef jerkys. I'm hungry enough to chew the crotch out of a rag doll.
    [Sidewinder Boss spots him]
    Sidewinder Boss: Hey. Hey. How many times do I have to tell you? No shirt, no service. Get the hell out of my store. What do you think this is, Club Med?
    Doug: It's called America, dude. Learn the rules.
    Sidewinder Boss: "Learn the rules?" No, YOU learn the rules. We Greeks invented democracy.
    Doug: You also invented homos.
    Sidewinder Boss: **** you.
    Doug: You wish. You gotta buy me dinner first.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162346/quotes tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's Les Bos.
    Isn't that Springsteens french cousin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What do the silly wenches want to be called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What do the silly wenches want to be called?

****, possibly, maybe change the name of the Island to **** los.

ban a word, that'll be no problem at all???/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

**** Los Island? Go for it haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Love the alliteration in the thread title.:)
    What's a synonym for "appeal" beginning with the letter L though?

With Lesbos and Lesbian in the title should be the most viewed AH thread in a while though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How about:

Lesbos locals lose lesbian litigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

The-Rigger wrote: »
    How about:

Lesbos locals lose lesbian litigation.

Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Well Sappho loved a bit of vag so the name is justified.

Advertisement