Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you proud of your class background?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭

Or do you give a sh1t and just see it as an accident of birth? Or are you from a tough area and proud of yourself for the fact that you've made something of yourself, unlike a lot of your peers? Are you working-class and have you a bit of an aversion to middle-class people for being born with a silver spoon in their mouths?

And so on...

Comments

Maybe there is a class system in Dublin, but it isn't really relevant to me in rural Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I'm most certainly proud of it.

I don't really judge people based purely on their class. They can be nice people no matter their class, same way they can be complete tools no matter their class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm somewhat proud of it,but i feel more strongly about not allowing people to define society by class,rather than emphasising it.Like i'm not going to fall out with someone if they are middle class,unless they see themselves as better than others because of it.I'm working class/petit bourgois/small farming class btw.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Maybe there is a class system in Dublin, but it isn't really relevant to me in rural Ireland.

ever noticed how many people act differently when speaking to or in the company of doctors,priests,headmastdrs,etc?Thats a class system in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've lived on the part of town that had all the rich, humourless kids that played golf. Tons of assholes. I came from a regular not rich, not poor background. Though I do hate it when my mates call me a rich cùnt cuz I was 1 of the only 2 of the group that went to college. I don't get it considering half of them are earning more than me! It's this stupid mentality that if you go to college you've instantly gained somewhat of a respectable stature of intelligence and gained social ranking :confused: Being an I.T techie doesn't pay THAT good!!

Honestly, I don't give a shìt, I don't see classes. At least I know I ain't A) a pompous git or B) plain and simply an asshole and that goes for all friends and people I get on with, and they're from all sorts of classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Poccington wrote: »
    I'm most certainly proud of it.

I don't really judge people based purely on their class. They can be nice people no matter their class, same way they can be complete tools no matter their class.

Idd, I'm the same. I grew up and am still living in a "rough" area, I turned out grand, so I think, but I don't look down on people. If I get looked down upon, it doesn't bother me. You're either born with class or not, no matter where you come from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Class is what you make of yourself, not what size of merc Dad drives, or which school in the south side you play rugby with sexually repressed boys in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'm proud of myself for getting where I am today , There is defn a class system but not one that I generally care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more with you. I came from a very rural village and there was certainly difference in class where I'm from and I gotta say I feel a lot better having earned my way through life than having it handed to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never thought about it to be honest, or couldn't be bothered. I never saw people as coming from different classes when growing up in a small town and still don't now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Class is what you make of yourself, not what size of merc Dad drives, or which school in the south side you play rugby with sexually repressed boys in.

I find this kind of inverted snobbery as dull as normal snobbery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

eoin_s wrote: »
    I find this kind of inverted snobbery as dull as normal snobbery.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

exactly never thought about it that much.

never judge people on class either and the day i do, i'll be dead, well i hope i will be.

I couldn't disagree more with you. I came from a very rural village and there was certainly difference in class where I'm from and I gotta say I feel a lot better having earned my way through life than having it handed to me.

Ah yeah but your townie....you would think that.

I'm from a rural Offaly village of 250 people. Hardly a townie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Really? I wouldn't say I'm snobby WRT class. It was a tongue in cheek comment, inspired by something I saw/heard on the train this morning.
    Disregard it if you will.

But I stand by what I say when I say that class is what a person brings themselves to be.
    Life is what you make it, not what you are born into.
    Perhaps thats a better way of phrasing what I wanted to say.

You've been away too long if you think that....

I'm still living there. Always have and always will. wouldn't change it for the world

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Really? I wouldn't say I'm snobby WRT class. It was a tongue in cheek comment, inspired by something I saw/heard on the train this morning.
    Disregard it if you will.

But I stand by what I say when I say that class is what a person brings themselves to be.
    Life is what you make it, not what you are born into.
    Perhaps thats a better way of phrasing what I wanted to say.

That's fair enough, my comment was probably better directed to those who seem to think that anyone from a middle class background hasn't had to work to get where they are. Anyway, I think Ireland has a relatively flat class structure; certainly compared to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I've such a varied background that I can't afford to be snobby about it.

And as for being proud of my class background.. I'm proud of my parents for working their ass's off to provide for us, and I'm happy that I grew up where I did.

Take from that what you will :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

ever noticed how many people act differently when speaking to or in the company of doctors,priests,headmastdrs,etc?Thats a class system in action.

My mam totally has a bank voice, whenever she speaks on the phone to the bank, or other institution, her voice gets a bit of a posh twang. She knows it, she laughs along with it. I said this to my friends a while ago and they could all relate. Apparently it's not that uncommon.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    That's fair enough, my comment was probably better directed to those who seem to think that anyone from a middle class background hasn't had to work to get where they are. Anyway, I think Ireland has a relatively flat class structure; certainly compared to the UK.
    What have the romans ever done for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm a bleedin' knacker and proud of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Any class distiction in Ireland seems to be based purely on perceived wealth, with a bit of a professional qualification thrown in to cater for the poor professional people who have been living beyond their means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It bugs me the way it's seemingly fair game to take the piss out of middle-class people for simply being middle-class. I'm not talking snooty *****, I'm talking about run-of-the-mill middle-class people like myself who have the audacity to get an education and to speak properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

connundrum wrote: »
    And as for being proud of my class background.. I'm proud of my parents for working their ass's off to provide for us, and I'm happy that I grew up where I did.

Yup, parents were very far from well off. I am very proud of them for what they managed with me and my 3 brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm talking about run-of-the-mill middle-class people like myself who have the audacity to get an education and to speak properly.

Is that all it takes to be middle class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No - but they are perceived as typical middle-class traits. Working-class people can have them too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I come from a very working class background in Tallaght.

I'm very proud of who I am and where I came from.

There are plenty of hard working, sound middle class people, but the few silver spooners let them all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Dudess wrote: »
    It bugs me the way it's seemingly fair game to take the piss out of middle-class people for simply being middle-class. I'm not talking snooty *****, I'm talking about run-of-the-mill middle-class people like myself who have the audacity to get an education and to speak properly.

Well being objective do you think that maybe people born into a lower "class" than yourself but yet have achieved the same goals deserve a bit of credit, bragging rights maybe?

I'm also sure lower class don't like being looked down on and the rich, well everyone hates them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I come from a very working class background in Tallaght.

I'm very proud of who I am and where I came from.

There are plenty of hard working, sound middle class people, but the few silver spooners let them all down.

And there's plenty of hardworking, sound working class people but the scumbags let them down.

It works both ways.

Advertisement