Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael O'Leary loves funeral flyers

• 04-06-2008 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Is this a new low? From unison.ie

HARD-pressed funeral goers are Ryanair's most profitable customers, chief executive Michael O'Leary revealed unapologetically yesterday.

His comments came as Ryanair unveiled record annual profits of €481m and detailed plans to ground up to four Dublin planes this winter.

"The best yields (fares) are VFRs (visiting friends and relatives) going to funerals," Mr O'Leary announced. "They book late because they don't tend to have much notice, and they tend to be price insensitive because they have to travel."

Like Im not complaining that it costs shed loads to fly at immediate notice but isn't expressing glee for the profits made of someone else's grief and loss a bit low?

Like could you imagine an undertaker passing a multiple car crash and saying to himself 'Nice one, that'll pay for the kids Xmas presents'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

RATM wrote: »
    Is this a new low? From unison.ie

Like could you imagine an undertaker passing a multiple car crash and saying to himself 'Nice one, that'll pay for the kids Xmas presents'

Or ambulance chasing solicitors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

He's just expressing facts, it's been like that for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

He should be ashamed of making money, thats the irish way. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

They probably drown their sorrows on the flight as well. Ching ching

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Boston wrote: »
    He should be ashamed of making money, thats the irish way. :rolleyes:
    If thats the case pubs and hotels should cease dealing with funeral aftermaths just in case they might make some money out of it. At Least Mr O' Leary is providing a service.

Without a fast air service one would probably have to take the boat and in that case there could be a bit of a Peggy Dell from the body by the time the relatives arrived. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Never understood why people gripe and moan about Ryanair. Cheap as chips and does what it says on the tin.

All this moaning about baggage charges, ffs like. You shouldnt be carrying more than a hand luggage amount unless you are emigrating ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I doubt you'd make much of a business man....

I dont think he's expressing glee, the man is running a business it's nothing personal.

+1, he is just speaking from a business point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Price insensitive ;_;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Not a fan of Ryan Air but I see no issue with this. It really is very much the case.

I work with a lot of older people and sometimes I'll give them a hand booking flights online and it's usually for this reason and it usually works out being a Ryan Air flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I fail to see the glee in the quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

“Where there's muck there's brass”!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

but isn't expressing glee for the profits made of someone else's grief and loss a bit low?

To (badly) paraphrase Tom Wolfe: this in no way contravenes the principles that have guided his life thus far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dinter wrote: »
    Or ambulance chasing solicitors!
    Why would ambulances chase solicitors?

ScumLord wrote: »
    Why would ambulances chase solicitors?

Did you miss that episode of The Living Planet? It was a good one...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He is just pointing out where their largest chunk of profit is coming from - I don't like the bloke but I fail to see glee in his quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DaveMcG wrote:
    I fail to see the glee in the quotes.
    +1 to that, he just made an obvious point that he makes a lot of money from those who suddenly need to fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

I think the op probably feels silly now

No need to be so gleeful about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Fair enough, wrong choice of words. But knowing O'Leary I'd be surprised if he wasn't smiling when he was announcing healthy profits from funeral goers. He didn't give two hoots when Ryanair chucked the four blind people off their plane a couple of years back so I could well believe he enjoys making money out of grief.

Like Im not against anyone making a few quid, we all have to do it to survive in some way or other. But why does he have to be such a d1ck about the way he goes about his business. Like look at George Soros, O'Leary is small fry in comparison but Soros always seems to treat people with the respect they deserve rather than O'Leary who just seems to enjoy treating people with contempt, his employees included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is this a new low?

No, it is business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Well of course Soros is more successful than O'Leary, people respect Soros. People will listen to him because they want to. People will understand if something bad happens because they trust him and don't ever feel screwed over by him. People still listen to O'Leary, but they hate it, and they will even post on Boards about a "New Low." :rolleyes:

I don't know about Ryanair, but in the US you can present a copy of a death certificate to the airline to get reimbursed anywhere from 10% to 75% (depending on the airline) of what you paid for your ticket. Most people have copies of the certificates at the funeral provided for everyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

heard something on the radio about how things used to be that in Heathrow there'd always be a few seats reserved for standbys for funerals because most days someone would have to head back to the old sod for the necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Fair enough, wrong choice of words. But knowing O'Leary I'd be surprised if he wasn't smiling when he was announcing healthy profits from funeral goers.
    You are assuming he was smiling when he said it? i.e. he is guilty without you knowing if he was smiling or not. I give him credit for being honest about it and not worrying about your PC brigade.
    He didn't give two hoots when Ryanair chucked the four blind people off their plane a couple of years back so I could well believe he enjoys making money out of grief.
    I think they explained how that happened i.e. there were safety issues regarding the number of disabled people on the plane which could cause major problems in the event of an accident or emergency, and they apologised for it but I fail to see how that shows he enjoys making money out of grief.
    Like Im not against anyone making a few quid, we all have to do it to survive in some way or other. But why does he have to be such a d1ck about the way he goes about his business.
    how is he being a d1ck? You're the one complaining about him saying who the most profitable passengers are.
    Like look at George Soros, O'Leary is small fry in comparison but Soros always seems to treat people with the respect they deserve rather than O'Leary who just seems to enjoy treating people with contempt, his employees included.
    I think O'Leary is a great business man. I fly at least once a month with ryanair and think they provide an excellent service especially for the price I pay and I am not ashamed to say it.

What do you think undertakers do? Im sure they plan for the year ahead and have to make budgets for the number of funerals i.e. dead people they will hope to deal with. Are they all being d1cks then too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

The same article goes on to report:

"I'm not sure who told you we had a balanced customer base but they were bull-****ting you," the Mullingar man replied. "We don't care whether you're (travelling for) business, leisure, or visiting friends and relatives.

"All we want to know about our customer base is that they've booked and we have their credit card number."

He's dead right :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

thats it im calling joe duffy and telling on the lotta yis!!

Advertisement