Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ireland dying pub culture

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ivan087 wrote: »
    oh man, you are so right! the guitar comes out, the conversation drops and you have to listen to the best of damian dempsey for half an hour.

This does my head in, like pub singers who demand an audience.

I always just say I'm trying to have a conversation here or I didn't pay in to hear you.

Also on topic: Not all pubs charge 6 quid a drink, have filthy jacks and are packed. This is more to do with the kind of pubs you go to, or the nights you go to them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

So your suggesting they should get a bigger slice of my money is rediculous

I haven't suggested any such thing. Try reading with both eyes next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I haven't suggested any such thing. Try reading with both eyes next time.
    I only have one eye, :(

the government took the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

The reason i stopped going to pubs as frequently as i used to is to do with the price of drink. These days it's 6 cans for less than a tenner and some vodka and out the door into town. A night out for less than 30 Euro. Drinking at home first has replaced the packed pubs around the 8pm mark. The local where i live only gets busy around 12:30 or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

stovelid wrote: »
    This does my head in, like pub singers who demand an audience.

I always just say I'm trying to have a conversation here or I didn't pay in to hear you.

Also on topic: Not all pubs charge 6 quid a drink, have filthy jacks and are packed. This is more to do with the kind of pubs you go to, or the nights you go to them on.

Ha.Bunch of clowns started up on uileann pipes and banjos in Th Palace one night i was out with a bunch of work people,it was bad enough untill one of the tossers demands we stop our discussion because it was interfereing with his "playing".The whole lot of us turned on them,told them we didnt ask to hear thier music and they hadnt bought any drink and were taking up valuable space.They cut thier session a bit short and went elsewhere but i dont know who they thought they were,i wouldnt get away with bringing a stereo into a pub and blasting my crappy music everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Ha!:D The pub has no chance of surviving in Ireland if it is depending on the crowd above me here. Half of them hate music an the other half dont want to pay for their drink. If you are drinking beer that costs less than 8euro for 6 cans ,your stomach will rot! The pub has moved into sittingrooms where you can smoke and drink all day and night, and your kids can do the same:D.When drinking was only done in pubs you went out ,met friends, and came home. Since it has been"deregulated" its like a free for all. All limits have gone. People are drinking and smoking more than ever. Aw sure its all for the good of the european union and we,ll all be one big happy state soon(sic):rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ha!:D The pub has no chance of surviving in Ireland if it is depending on the crowd above me here. Half of them hate music an the other half dont want to pay for their drink. If you are drinking beer that costs less than 8euro for 6 cans ,your stomach will rot! The pub has moved into sittingrooms where you can smoke and drink all day and night, and your kids can do the same:D.When drinking was only done in pubs you went out ,met friends, and came home. Since it has been"deregulated" its like a free for all. All limits have gone. People are drinking and smoking more than ever. Aw sure its all for the good of the european union and we,ll all be one big happy state soon(sic):rolleyes:

Booze is a commodity like any other,bleeding barmen here behave like its the sacred host they're dishing out.I earned the right to consume as much booze as i like when i turned 18(or 21) and i dont see why we should have our trousers taken down every time we want to partake.You wont meet many friends in pubs these days anyhoo,they all live out in the burbs in thier over-mortaged gaffs and cant afford to drink in boozers.

Yesh, no wat hic your hic sayin hic bud hic;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

half dont want to pay for their drink. If you are drinking beer that costs less than 8euro for 6 cans ,your stomach will rot

People have no problem paying for their drink. They just object to being blantently over-charged. And do you think the beer served in pubs flows straight out crystal clear woodland springs? The most gut wrenchingly disgusing beers i've had have always come from a pub or club (over-priced, naturally) not from the bottles or cans i've had at home.

Pubs are too expensive, thats the truth of the matter. There is precious little innovation or effort on behalf of most publicans in ireland to draw customers back in by either lowering prices or coming up with ways to counter balance the shocking price they charge for drink.

The smoking ban and drink driving legislation are not the cause of the death of the Irish pub. Its the fact that people can enjoy alcohol in other settings without being completely screwed by publicans.
    People are drinking and smoking more than ever

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

1. Prices. If you can drink in a house for half what you're paying in the pub, more people are going to drink at home. Especially if money starts getting tight. Prices of non-alcoholic drinks are a joke - in most pubs it's cheaper to drink a pint of beer than a pint of Coke or Fanta, which to me is one contributor to people getting hammered - I'll never drink a soft drink in a pub because you're being fleeced even more than on alcohol.

2. In rural areas, clampdowns on drink driving are definitely hitting pubs. Less people are willing to risk driving home after a feed of pints, there's no local transport, and not everyone can afford taxis, even if you can get them.

3. Lack of 'cafe-bars'. There's loads of European countries you can go to and have a good night in a cafe bar, people who want to drink can, people who don't can drink tea, coffee, or soft drinks without getting ripped off, can generally get decent food. Often as busy and good craic as 'pubs' but just a less intense 'must-drink-alcohol-only' atmosphere. Of course, the government here decided we can't be trusted with such things as we'd all run riot. Despite the fact I've seen large groups of Irish drinking in cafe-bars abroad who didn't instantly turn into slavering alcoholic monsters laying waste to the area around them.

People are smoking and drinking more. Yep. Off licences and supermarkets have overtaking the pub sales and a report in the paper last week said the smoking ban has not changed peoples habits. Cigarette sales are up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Couple of reasons why I don't really drink in the pub anymore:
    1. It's too expensive. I used to be able to have a night out on £20, now it'll be at least €50 before midnight.
    2. Most pubs are crap these days. I'd be hard pressed to name five pubs which "deserve" my money.
    3. Drinking cans is more fun.
    4. I think we're more health conscious these days, so the idea of sitting in pubs all the time is a bit off putting. Certainly I'm more health conscious. This kind of thing scares the **** out of me.
    5. Pubs are great when you have nothing to do, but we're all much busier these days so the idea of spending hours sitting in a pub isn't really an option anymore. I feel guilty thinking I could be doing x, y & z instead of sitting in the pub. When I'm at home/in my friends place with cans I'm able to multi-task.
    6. I know this is kind of the same as 1, but I'm more cautious with money these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dublindude wrote: »
    [*]I think we're more health conscious these days, so the idea of sitting in pubs all the time is a bit off putting. Certainly I'm more health conscious.

[*]Pubs are great when you have nothing to do, but we're all much busier these days so the idea of spending hours sitting in a pub isn't really an option anymore. I feel guilty thinking I could be doing x, y & z instead of sitting in the pub.
    [/LIST]

Is the beer in cans healthier than in the pub taps?

Also: any multitasking I do when I'm drinking at home tends to need redoing in the morning.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Is the beer in cans healthier than in the pub taps?

Well I don't get hangovers from cans, so there must be something going on...
    Also: any multitasking I do when I'm drinking at home tends to need redoing in the morning.

True! :) Doesn't stop me trying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

simple reason is

'Romantic Ireland's dead and buried, its with O'Leary in the grave...'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

MOH wrote: »
    Lack of 'cafe-bars'. There's loads of European countries you can go to and have a good night in a cafe bar, people who want to drink can, people who don't can drink tea, coffee, or soft drinks without getting ripped off, can generally get decent food. Often as busy and good craic as 'pubs' but just a less intense 'must-drink-alcohol-only' atmosphere. Of course, the government here decided we can't be trusted with such things as we'd all run riot. Despite the fact I've seen large groups of Irish drinking in cafe-bars abroad who didn't instantly turn into slavering alcoholic monsters laying waste to the area around them.

Café bars are cr*p. The atmosphere is dull. Why do you think Irish pubs are so common abroad????

You used to people able to have a cup of tea and a slice or brown bread wit butter here. Things have changed. Eveything is expensive in Ireland but the wages are higher than most other places also.

So what if you´ve seen Irish people drinking in café bars??? That´s what most of the places you drink on the continent are! Not all Irish people want to go to Irish pubs when they go on holiday.

If you think opening up these cafes would make Irish people drink less, you´re wrong. Drink is more expensive and more highly taxed here than in most countries, and yet we still drink more than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

As I posted in the last thread, only about 10% of alcohol sold in Ireland, is drunk at home, one of the lowest percentages in Europe.

So, everyone saying that nobody goes to the pub anymore, they just sit and drink at home, is completely innacurate.

Irish people have more money than ever before. It's not like nowadays they can't afford beer like they used to.

The real threat to rural pubs especially, is the crackdown on drink driving.
    In cities, there are just more alternatives to sitting in a traditional pub. It's a bit boring to go to the same place every night. People want more variety. That been said, there's not too many pubs going out of business in cities, at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

i know everyone will say publicans..and the 6 cans of bavaria for 7euro but the governemt are even trying to put the price of them up to every other expensive beer so for example students are gonna suffer.

It's 7.50 now the bastards ... back to tuborg I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

simple reason is

'Romantic Ireland's dead and buried, its with O'Leary in the grave...'

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone

Yeah pubs are pretty much too expensive and I tend to have better craic drinking cans with my mates, cheaper, and no chance of having to associate with any dickheads like at the local

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Café bars are cr*p. The atmosphere is dull. Why do you think Irish pubs are so common abroad????

You used to people able to have a cup of tea and a slice or brown bread wit butter here. Things have changed. Eveything is expensive in Ireland but the wages are higher than most other places also.

So what if you´ve seen Irish people drinking in café bars??? That´s what most of the places you drink on the continent are! Not all Irish people want to go to Irish pubs when they go on holiday.

If you think opening up these cafes would make Irish people drink less, you´re wrong. Drink is more expensive and more highly taxed here than in most countries, and yet we still drink more than most.

That's more xenophobia than anything else: if I go aborad I want to experience some culture. If I want to get pissed in an Irish pub, I'll do it here.

I've had some fantastic nights out in Scanavia in cafe bars, Pool bars and barbeques and cans in the park. Vfery little of that in Dublin, though.
    Blisterman wrote:
    Irish people have more money than ever before. It's not like nowadays they can't afford beer like they used to.

I think it's more disposable income than matters, rather than money. A lot of people with money get married younger and take out mortgages, which leaves tham with less 'real' income than before.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    That's more xenophobia than anything else: if I go aborad I want to experience some culture. If I want to get pissed in an Irish pub, I'll do it here.

I've had some fantastic nights out in Scanavia in cafe bars, Pool bars and barbeques and cans in the park. Vfery little of that in Dublin, though.
    QUOTE]

Good for you. I´ve been to plenty of european citie and am currently living in a large one with plenty of cafe bars....and they´re usually lacking in atmosphere compared to a cosy pub.

So you go to Scandinavia for culture????? Try India or Peru mate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Whoever's quoting Yeats, seriously when was Ireland ever romantic??!? I think I used to buy 4 tuborg for 5 euro, or there used to be always euro bottles of Warsteiner or something. Anyway my local a couple of years ago was Walshes of Stonybatter, best pint of Guinnes in the world, and I think it cost 3.85 or so, which was very reasonable, considering it was the best in the world of course. The price isn't that bad compared to wages, I think we're all just looking to whinge and moan as usual. And come on, I've never seen any city where the bars/pubs are so full at weekends as Dublin, and during the week, you should see New Zealand towns/cities on weeknights, dead as disco, actually disco is more alive I'd say than weeknights in NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think it's more disposable income than matters, rather than money. A lot of people with money get married younger and take out mortgages, which leaves tham with less 'real' income than before.

Well, I did read an artical comparing how Irish people spent money 50 years ago, and now.

And while wages have risen a hige amount, the percentage spent in pubs has remained the same, about 5%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

QUOTE]

Good for you. I´ve been to plenty of european citie and am currently living in a large one with plenty of cafe bars....and they´re usually lacking in atmosphere compared to a cosy pub.

So you go to Scandinavia for culture????? Try India or Peru mate

I'd go anywhere BUT to a pub for "culture". Been to India, agreed.

Scandanaiva's a far more varied and interesting place than Ireland. Everything from people, to scenry, to ngihtly activities...

(Why's it called pub culture anyway - there's fvck all cultural about it!)

I'd go anywhere BUT to a pub for "culture". Been to India, agreed.

Scandanaiva's a far more varied and interesting place than Ireland. Everything from people, to scenry, to ngihtly activities...

(Why's it called pub culture anyway - there's fvck all cultural about it!)

I´ve been to Scandinavia myself, and to be honest, they pretty much drink the same as us. The difference is that we have the craic.

I don´t agree with you on it being more interesting than Ireland. I mean, Copenhagen on New Years Day was dead this year.....you wouldn´t have that in Dublin.

Forget about Dublin if you looking for scenry...

I´ve been to Scandinavia myself, and to be honest, they pretty much drink the same as us. The difference is that we have the craic.

I don´t agree with you on it being more interesting than Ireland. I mean, Copenhagen on New Years Day was dead this year.....you wouldn´t have that in Dublin.

Forget about Dublin if you looking for scenry...

That's because the interestign people are off doing soemthing else somewhere else. Mind you, Denmark away from Copenhagen was more open and lively. Wheer in Ireland do you get a city-based fairground with nightly firework shows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Café bars are cr*p. The atmosphere is dull.

I've been in cafe bars with brilliant atmosphere, and pubs with none.
    Why do you think Irish pubs are so common abroad????
    Because they're a novelty. They'll get business in out of curiosity, plus Irish and British tourists. Anyway, a large majority of "Irish" pubs abroad aren't e.g. There's a least 12 in Amsterdam, of which maybe 4 could be properly classed Irish pubs. They just push the Irish angle as a gimmick
    So what if you´ve seen Irish people drinking in café bars???

Huh? My point about Irish people drinking in cafe bars abroad is that the government seemed to feel if they introduced them here it would lead to mass social breakdown, yet if Irish people can deal with the concept when abroad, why not here?
    That´s what most of the places you drink on the continent are! Not all Irish people want to go to Irish pubs when they go on holiday.
    Exactly. I generally avoid Irish pubs abroad, unless I want to see a match or something. Lots of people do, you want to try something different. So why wouldn't a few decent cafe bars here get the same kind of attention that Irish pubs abroad do?

They probably wouldn't make Irish people drink any less. They'd be unlikely to make me drink any less. But they'd attract people who wouldn't be mad about pubs. Who don't drink 7 or 8 pints every time they go out, or just want a quiet night and maybe be able to get a coffee after 10pm at night without a barman glaring at you like you've two heads. I'm not saying everyone should abandon pubs and move to cafe bars, I'd probably still prefer a pub most of the time - I'm saying it would provide an alternative for people who want it.

Those places alreday exist where you can get food in a pub during the day.

Things are fine the way they are.

We drink more or less the same as always. Some people just listen to the Last Word too much probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

We drink more or less the same as always.

Not true, we drink far more, cause we've got cash to do it with now.

Remember in the ye olden days, it's have been the blokes that were doing most of the drinking.

Cafe bars probably woudlnt change things that quickly: You dont turn a nation of drink-obsessed savages into proper human beings overnight. It takes time, and possibly the odd use of the taser.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

DUBLIN PUBS charge a fortune..which annoys me..

I'm from Carlow..pints in my local are 3.70 (guinn) and 4 (heineken)..

Do you know the government is gettin over a euro per pint! publician gets after costs(which are crazy)..about 70 cent per pint after taxes etc.

so shut up..

I had 9 customers in on monday(yesterday)... NINE...
    That wont come CLOSE to covering my costs..let alone any wages for me..

And yes I have rural pub.

m.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    why do people think irish are the only ones for whom socialising revolves around drinking? It's the same in New Zealand, Canada, Australia, and USA from my experiences. Irish/British people and their descendants in the new world socialise in bars and pubs. Who cares? It's great fun. If the customer levels are dwindling in Ireland, it's down to the extortionate prices being charged. Nothing makes me angrier than seeing a publican on TV moaning about not getting customers, when he's charging 5 euro a pint ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

mattman wrote: »

Do you know the government is gettin over a euro per pint! publician gets after costs(which are crazy)..about 70 cent per pint after taxes etc.

so shut up..

m.

Ok sorry buddy I guess my point was directed more at Dublin publicans. Your prices are good, similar to a local in Stonybatter I used to drink at, which was doing a roaring trade last time i was in Dublin and probably still is. So what do you put the lack of trade in your bar down to? Drink driving? Smoking ban? Interesting to hear a publicans view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Irelands dying pub culture>>>>>Good ridence to it:)

so shut up..

m.

Sorry to hear that. How would yuour customers react to a varyign the entertainment a little? Dunno if its big enough for pub quizzes... Blind date piss-takes...

Just off the top of my head: people (in Dublin anyway, judging by this thread) apart from price, seem to be getting bored as much as anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

so shut up..

m.

Then you should be doing other things to get customers in to be honest. Have you looked at doing food, trying to get a lunchtime crowd, providing free sandwiches to people who come in after work and so on. Not saying it's true in your case but a lot of publicans complain and do nothing to improve their lot. It's why certain publicans are hugely successful and others aren't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Hey - the Europeans spend a night in a pub quiet frequently: most of the morning too, as they can be trusted not to start brawls and pukefests at 2.01 am.

Because all 100000 of them are not all kicked out on the street at once at 2.00 am. There should be no such thing as closing time. It is responsible for a lot of the problems.

MOH wrote: »
    1. Prices. If you can drink in a house for half what you're paying in the pub, more people are going to drink at home. Especially if money starts getting tight. Prices of non-alcoholic drinks are a joke - in most pubs it's cheaper to drink a pint of beer than a pint of Coke or Fanta, which to me is one contributor to people getting hammered - I'll never drink a soft drink in a pub because you're being fleeced even more than on alcohol.

2. In rural areas, clampdowns on drink driving are definitely hitting pubs. Less people are willing to risk driving home after a feed of pints, there's no local transport, and not everyone can afford taxis, even if you can get them.

3. Lack of 'cafe-bars'. There's loads of European countries you can go to and have a good night in a cafe bar, people who want to drink can, people who don't can drink tea, coffee, or soft drinks without getting ripped off, can generally get decent food. Often as busy and good craic as 'pubs' but just a less intense 'must-drink-alcohol-only' atmosphere. Of course, the government here decided we can't be trusted with such things as we'd all run riot. Despite the fact I've seen large groups of Irish drinking in cafe-bars abroad who didn't instantly turn into slavering alcoholic monsters laying waste to the area around them.

Great post ....

I travel a lot on business. Some of the best craic I have had has been in (so-called) cafe bars, with locals ... Antwerp (Belgium), Copenhagen (Denmark), Eindhoven (Holland), Munich (Germany) and just last Friday, Bonn (Germany) would be my top 5. Also in many of these "strict" places it's still possible to smoke (a bad thing IMHO but shows you that we shouldn't blame Europe for strict laws)

And yes I'm Irish born and bred, like a drink, and recognise craic when I see it. I also think it's bs to say that somehow people don't drink much in these countries ... utter rubbish - they just are more relaxed about it than we are because there's no pressure and the focus is on having a chat not just on skulling vodka and red bull in a 2000 capacity cattle market where the music is so loud it's a health and safety issue and conversation is impossible.

Have you thought about organising a bus? I know my auld lad lives in a rural area and it's tough for him to get to the pub and home again since there's no public transport. Young people would use it too I'm sure. Don't know if it's economically viable though ...

so shut up..

m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Actually my local in Dublin have started a whole set of initiatives to get people in. Not so long ago they openend and people crammed in but now with various things that have happened the lounge is empty. So they have now got trad night, music night, quiz night, poker classic night, race night etc Probably won't be long till they have a pool table and dart board installed.

As for rural pubs, I can imagine its difficult but let take the example that I am out for a drive with my wife and kids. Why stop at a bar when soft drinks and non-alcoholic beer is as expensive if not more expensive than beer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Baby4 wrote: »

"Intellectuals"? Do I sense a bit hint of insecurity...?

Pub "culture" to me indicates a lifestyle whereby people do NOTHING else but head for the pub, out of fear of the unknown and lack of imagiantion, and then slag off everyone else as "weird" or "freaks" who want to do something else. Or tells them to "get over themselves" (not speific to your reference above, but mush more general).

It may require a bit of effort or distance if you live rurally, but country alcoholics tend to be the most boring unimaginaative people on the face of God's Green Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

and I visit them frequently.

But the 'pub culture' I really do not like. The sheer difficulty of getting any of my friends to do anything that isnt going to the pub, is hugely annoying: Not to mention the huge amount of saturday hikes, kayaking, cycling, walks, and fishing trips that have been cancelled because of a pub visit the night before.

Added to that is the fact that nowadays many pubs are the last places you would go to have a conversation in: Most pubs in Dublin have the sound system cranked to maximum so that brainless people with little to say can hide how uninteresting they are: You cant get a seat, there's no games, or food, or dancing to be had (even though there's dance music playing at 10,000 DB). Why would you pay to go to such a place? I'd pay to get out of one.

I mean, granted, if you were talking about some quiet local place with a dog snoozing beside a roaring fire, I can see the attraction.

and I visit them frequently.

But the 'pub culture' I really do not like. The sheer difficulty of getting any of my friends to do anything that isnt going to the pub, is hugely annoying: Not to mention the huge amount of saturday hikes, kayaking, cycling, walks, and fishing trips that have been cancelled because of a pub visit the night before.

Added to that is the fact that nowadays many pubs are the last places you would go to have a conversation in: Most pubs in Dublin have the sound system cranked to maximum so that brainless people with little to say can hide how uninteresting they are: You cant get a seat, there's no games, or food, or dancing to be had (even though there's dance music playing at 10,000 DB). Why would you pay to go to such a place? I'd pay to get out of one.

I mean, granted, if you were talking about some quiet local place with a dog snoozing beside a roaring fire, I can see the attraction.

Completely agree. I've lost contact with a lot of mates who are never up for anything even they haven't been out the night before because I get pissed off with them not wanting to anything but bore me senseless in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

nice one..great comments..I agree..

The icky poo, there "they" go again...WE ALL DONT LIVE IN DUBLIN..

(good thing you commented on that at the end!).

Baby4 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Instead, we now have virtual pubs such as the Beer Guts n Baldy Heads bar and the infamous Ladies Lounge.

By the by...
    has anyone from the beerguts and ladies lounge ever had a bit of lovin?

has any of the lads in beerguts ever had real life fist-y-cuffs with each other?

has anyone been caught doing coke in the jacks and got fukced out?

mods, add the functionality up there :rolleyes: into the next boards upgrade please.

• Advertisement

Instead, we now have virtual pubs such as the Beer Guts n Baldy Heads bar and the infamous Ladies Lounge.

By the by...
    has anyone from the beerguts and ladies lounge ever had a bit of lovin?

has any of the lads in beerguts ever had real life fist-y-cuffs with each other?

has anyone been caught doing coke in the jacks and got fukced out?

mods, add the functionality up there :rolleyes: into the next boards upgrade please.

Questions more suited to the microwaves and time machines forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I think the last time I was in a pub was 10 years ago with my family where I was eating a bag of crisps. I have to say the place smelled of depression and I welcome the fall of places such as that.

I've also been hearing that certain places aren't allowing under 21s in for no good reason as well as people who aren't dressed up. Who ever runs those places must not be a very good businessman/woman.

Advertisement