Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't sleep, the spiders will eat me!!!

• 08-05-2008 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

So after leaving the windows open earlier, I go into my room and find a spider on my lampshade, so I get out the trusty deodarant and get rid of it, and notice his friends all over the room, so in true girly fashion I get out a torch and the hoover and exterminate for a good half an hour!!
    :rolleyes:

Anyway, now I can't sleep in case there's more of the little buggers in my room!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

U kno they stay alive inside the hoover, and crawl back out sometimes. They mostly come at night. Mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

pull out the bed/lockers etc, and hoover in there, check your pillow/bed for spiders before getting in, and you should be ok. I hate when I find one near me right before bed, cuz then I'm all 'looking for spiders' but once I've checked n hoovered everywhere it makes me feel more at ease.

*hug*
    *looks around room for spiders*

edit - I keep the hoover stuck to the ground for a bit after suckin up a spider...suffocate em.... plus they won't come back to you quickly after that ordeal. Least that's the agreement I have with spiders...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i dont know if this was mentioned in the last thread on the subject, but erm.. vacuuming spiders up will only be like bringing them to funderland. what do you think happens after you turn the vacuum cleaner off? they have only been sucked into a bag of dust, they will instinctively crawl right back out, down the hose and back out into glorious freedom! it doesnt kill them, they are surprisingly hardy feckers, and there is no "non-return valve" on a vacuum cleaner bag!

sleep tight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

U kno they stay alive inside the hoover, and crawl back out sometimes. They mostly come at night. Mostly.

You can combat that by covering any escape exits with plastic bags to seal them in, evil creepy things that they are!!!:mad:

• Advertisement

This raises an interesting point though. Would it be possible to reverse-engineer a hoover to make some sort of terrifying spider gun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've had two nest loads hatch in my room while I haven't been there before, thousands of tiny little spiders everywhere. Vacuumed the lot up and went out, came back to find my room full of webs and spiders again, gave it another vacuum and slept on the couch.
    Next day I go back up to the room and it's full of them again.. Ran the vacuum over them again and they didn't re-appear in such force again so slept in the room that night despite there still being a few around.

They were tiny though so were nothing to be concerned about. Have moved out since and have been finding huge spiders around the house since a few weeks after we moved in. They're nothing to lose sleep over though as they're no harm and keep the house insect free, I just hate the sight of the huge ones randomly appearing, such as the night I was lying on a beanbag watching tv and one appeared at the side of it. Bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I don't mind spiders being in the room once they don't come near the bed. If they come near the bed they get destroyed. Or if they're oddly big they get destroyed.

flanum wrote: »
    i dont know if this was mentioned in the last thread on the subject, but erm.. vacuuming spiders up will only be like bringing them to funderland. what do you think happens after you turn the vacuum cleaner off? they have only been sucked into a bag of dust, they will instinctively crawl right back out, down the hose and back out into glorious freedom! it doesnt kill them, they are surprisingly hardy feckers, and there is no "non-return valve" on a vacuum cleaner bag!

sleep tight!
    Depends on the vacuum. I'd a dyson bagless thing that seemed to grind the dirt up inside it so I was definitely killing them when I vacuumed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Evil! Hope there's none in my room :eek::(

• Advertisement

spiders are warned that if they infiltrate my personal space or certain designated areas they will die. End of.

rb_ie wrote: »
    I've had two nest loads hatch in my room while I haven't been there before, thousands of tiny little spiders everywhere. Vacuumed the lot up and went out, came back to find my room full of webs and spiders again, gave it another vacuum and slept on the couch.
    Next day I go back up to the room and it's full of them again.. Ran the vacuum over them again and they didn't re-appear in such force again so slept in the room that night despite there still being a few around.

They were tiny though so were nothing to be concerned about. Have moved out since and have been finding huge spiders around the house since a few weeks after we moved in. They're nothing to lose sleep over though as they're no harm and keep the house insect free, I just hate the sight of the huge ones randomly appearing, such as the night I was lying on a beanbag watching tv and one appeared at the side of it. Bastards.

Seems weird that you would prefer a house full of spiders to a house full of insects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Just did another inspection, no spiders or spider webs, the ones earlier were long white coloured big ones, god i detest them!!!

Jaysus remind me never to stay over at rb_ie's :eek:
    How do you sleep man! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You haven't seen spiders til you've been over here. Some seriously huge fuckers in these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

tut tut, killing spiders makes it rain!!

im sure there is a logical reasoning behind that old superstition, its probably got to do with the fact people mainly notice loads of spiders during nice hot (rare) spells, and used to associate the appaearnce of lots of spiders with the sunny weather/ the spiders brought the sun.

just a guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Attic convesions are great for spider nests, bats, mice, small platipii etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I don't mind spiders being in the room once they don't come near the bed. If they come near the bed they get destroyed. Or if they're oddly big they get destroyed.
    i'd be kinda the same.
    me and the spiders have a deal. keep the place insect free and stay out of sight and we're fine.
    get too big and too daring, cheery bye and youre out in the big bad world.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You haven't seen spiders til you've been over here. Some seriously huge fuckers in these parts.

saw a few big 'uns over there, only one redback thank goodness though.

Fremen wrote: »
    Seems weird that you would prefer a house full of spiders to a house full of insects.

You know what I meant.
    bronte wrote: »
    Jaysus remind me never to stay over at rb_ie's :eek:
    How do you sleep man! :D

I've never seen one of the big ones in my bedroom thankfully. This is exactly the type we've been getting here. Also have gotten a few small ones over the past few nights appearing but again, harmless.

Lol, how often do you encounter them? I'd be more concerned with the little ones over there tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

My fear of spiders crawling on me at night was shaken off when I was in San Diego last summer and I was introduced to Mr Cockroach. Now as disgusting and all as they were, we got on fine because we didn't have any in the flat. Until one night. We saw one walking up the wall just inside the door. Holy sweet bejebus. One of the lads knocked it outside with a frisbee, but I did not sleep that night for fear of an attack. We were all sleeping on air beds on the floor (hey...students on a J1, it was normal) so liability for attack seemed greater. That's the one thing I do not miss about SD. :(

Yuck. Cockroaches. YUCK!

Lol, how often do you encounter them? I'd be more concerned with the little ones over there tbh!

Get a fair few in the bathroom. There was a decent sized hairy fecker sittin on my towel the other day. He was harmless enough though.

Red backs are pretty leathal but not too common in urban areas, though my uncle did have a few in the damp corner of his shed. Ugly bastards. Have yet to see a wild Huntsman unfortunately.

Get a fair few in the bathroom. There was a decent sized hairy fecker sittin on my towel the other day. He was harmless enough though.

Red backs are pretty leathal but not too common in urban areas, though my uncle did have a few in the damp corner of his shed. Ugly bastards. Have yet to see a wild Huntsman unfortunately.
    A friend of mine stayed in Sydney and Melbourne I think and barely saw any, so I think that's where I'll be headed tbh :D

How do they get into your place? I'd have everything sealed shut if I thought something like that could get in tbh

A friend of mine stayed in Sydney and Melbourne I think and barely saw any, so I think that's where I'll be headed tbh :D

Ah you'd still get a few there, especially in the suburbs. If you start backpacking through little towns that's where you'll see them....and the snakes!
    How do they get into your place? I'd have everything sealed shut if I thought something like that could get in tbh

Usual ways I presume. Itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout etc. We have a balcony as well where some of them live and sometimes I forget to close the screen doors so they probably sneak in that way too.

unfortunatly? Good job im in kildare Xavi :eek:

bronte wrote: »
    unfortunatly? Good job im in kildare Xavi :eek:

Ah Huntsmen are grand though. Sure when people find them in their houses they catch them and release them into the garden as they act as a hoover for all the harmful bugs there. Don't pose any major threat to humans.

Ah Huntsmen are grand though. Sure when people find them in their houses they catch them and release them into the garden as they act as a hoover for all the harmful bugs there. Don't pose any major threat to humans.

Huntsman scare the crap outta me!!

:eek:
    holy freakin crap.

next thing you'll see is this

• Advertisement

The Cure Lullaby (how appropriate)

On candystripe legs the spiderman comes
    Softly through the shadow of the evening sun
    Stealing past the windows of the blissfully dead
    Looking for the victim shivering in bed
    Searching out fear in the gathering gloom and
    Suddenly!
    A movement in the corner of the room!
    And there is nothing I can do
    And I realise with fright
    That the spiderman is having me for dinner tonight! :pac::pac::pac:

NoDrama wrote: »
    The Cure Lullaby (how appropriate)

On candystripe legs the spiderman comes
    Softly through the shadow of the evening sun
    Stealing past the windows of the blissfully dead
    Looking for the victim shivering in bed
    Searching out fear in the gathering gloom and
    Suddenly!
    A movement in the corner of the room!
    And there is nothing I can do
    And I realise with fright
    That the spiderman is having me for dinner tonight! :pac::pac::pac:
    i wish i could give you thanks :pac:
    i <3 the cure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

found a nice picture to depict what will be happening when you sleep tonight OP! :D

and i include the second one for the sheer, holy ****!!!! factor, would you look at the size of the ****ers! :eek::eek:

camel spider = me ****tin myself

Pobably the scariest of them all is this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

spiderpig is a legend! but he aint no camel spider, i swear im gonna have nightmares about em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Pobably the scariest of them all is this one

God I bloody hate that one! :mad:

The amount of drunken idiots on night buses singing that spider-pig song when the movie came out made me want to go on a damned killing spree!

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »
    God I bloody hate that one! :mad:

The amount of drunken idiots on night buses singing that spider-pig song when the movie came out made me want to go on a damned killing spree!
    ah the cult of spiderpig...
    a strange lot indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Nerin wrote: »
    ah the cult of spiderpig...
    a strange lot indeed

Indeed, annoying drunken idiots :mad:

ot I usually don't have a problem with spiders (that camel spider thing doesnt count, that's not a spider it's a bloody dinosaur of some kind!) but Xavi's mention of snakes earlier made my skin crawl, those things are horrible! Spiders aren't so bad though

ay. spiders arent the worst,at least in ireland, although i have noticed them getting bigger.
    too big...
    see if we had a monster survival forum instead of all this support for just a zombie forum....

im kinda glad these feckers didnt hatch, although they still could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Nerin wrote: »
    ay. spiders arent the worst,at least in ireland, although i have noticed them getting bigger.
    too big...
    see if we had a monster survival forum instead of all this support for just a zombie forum....

im kinda glad these feckers didnt hatch, although they still could.

It is a monster forum being proposed but keeping the name Zombie survival - that includes giant spiders, spider people and spider babys. Maybe even an attack of spider monkeys

I havent seen any spiders out here as of yet. Lizards are commonplace enought though, fast little bastards. Harmless but they'd make you jump when your not expecting them to go shooting across the wall.

I dont mind spiders myself (unless poisonous obviously) but the girlfriend freaks out she hates them. Shes getting a bit better around them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Spider Baby remake due out this year. \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

my lord! sounds like a real nightmare :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

ACK! I really hate spiders and have done for a long time. This was quadrupled last year by my second story.

This was quite a while back now... I think I was about 18 at the time. I was over at a friends house just chilling and watching telly. My friend suddenly starts screaming and freaking out. She points to the wall next to the telly. "SPIDER!" I look over and sure enough, there's a decent size spider sitting happily on the wall. "KILL IT OMG GET RID OF IT!!!" says she. *sigh* says I.

So I do what I have to do. I go and get a HUGE big ball of bog roll and run back to the room. I approach Mr. Spider and move in for the kill/grab. Just as I'm about to grab/squash/whatever him with the bog roll, he leaps off the wall and onto my chest area. Logically, I go absolutely nuts and start screaming and dancing around the room like a lunatic. I believe I even began to strip at one stage. Anyway, this continued until it was pointed out to me that Mr. Spider was gone. I heard from my friend that he reappeared back near the telly a week later. THE BASTARD!!! :mad:

I had a terrible ordeal with a spider in my old attic bedroom last year(I've since moved out thank fcuk!). I was just dozing off and had left the light on in the smaller room/walk in wardrobe in the attic. Just as I was about to close my eyes and go into a deep sleep, I see something moving on the floor out of the corner of my eye.

At first, I thought I was imagining it but then it moved again and I actually jumped with fright because in the semi dark it looked HUGE. I thought it was a mouse. :o So I jumped up and put the big light on to see the biggest bloody 'house' spider I've ever seen. The thing was a monster! Anyway I quickly launched an Argos catalogue at it and the thing just sat there staring at me for a sec, then legged it. I literally had to chase it around the room for about 40ish minutes as it hid behind the telly and under the bed etc.

I finally got the ugly smarmy fcuker after it ran up a wall and hid behind my New Jersey Devils hockey jersey (which was pinned to the wall). I picked up one of my CAT boots and hit where I guessed it was hiding so hard that the boot nearly went through the poor plasterboard. I was delighted with myself when I uncovered a rather squishy spider. TAKE THAT, YE BASTARD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I woke up one night with 2 spiders crawling over my face. Freaked the sh1t out of me but I swiped em off and got a lighter and a can of Lynx to sort the ****ers out. Nearly set fire to the bed as well but **** it, at least I got em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's no problem OP, all you have to do is start a small fire in your room. The smoke will have the spiders running for their lives! And you can have a nice deep sleep.

kyub wrote: »
    ACK! I really hate spiders and have done for a long time. This was quadrupled last year by my second story.

This was quite a while back now... I think I was about 18 at the time. I was over at a friends house just chilling and watching telly. My friend suddenly starts screaming and freaking out. She points to the wall next to the telly. "SPIDER!" I look over and sure enough, there's a decent size spider sitting happily on the wall. "KILL IT OMG GET RID OF IT!!!" says she. *sigh* says I.

So I do what I have to do. I go and get a HUGE big ball of bog roll and run back to the room. I approach Mr. Spider and move in for the kill/grab. Just as I'm about to grab/squash/whatever him with the bog roll, he leaps off the wall and onto my chest area. Logically, I go absolutely nuts and start screaming and dancing around the room like a lunatic. I believe I even began to strip at one stage. Anyway, this continued until it was pointed out to me that Mr. Spider was gone. I heard from my friend that he reappeared back near the telly a week later. THE BASTARD!!! :mad:

I had a terrible ordeal with a spider in my old attic bedroom last year(I've since moved out thank fcuk!). I was just dozing off and had left the light on in the smaller room/walk in wardrobe in the attic. Just as I was about to close my eyes and go into a deep sleep, I see something moving on the floor out of the corner of my eye.

At first, I thought I was imagining it but then it moved again and I actually jumped with fright because in the semi dark it looked HUGE. I thought it was a mouse. :o So I jumped up and put the big light on to see the biggest bloody 'house' spider I've ever seen. The thing was a monster! Anyway I quickly launched an Argos catalogue at it and the thing just sat there staring at me for a sec, then legged it. I literally had to chase it around the room for about 40ish minutes as it hid behind the telly and under the bed etc.

I finally got the ugly smarmy fcuker after it ran up a wall and hid behind my New Jersey Devils hockey jersey (which was pinned to the wall). I picked up one of my CAT boots and hit where I guessed it was hiding so hard that the boot nearly went through the poor plasterboard. I was delighted with myself when I uncovered a rather squishy spider. TAKE THAT, YE BASTARD!

Lol good stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ugh it's the worst when you're lying in bed all comfortable and you notice (highlighted by the glare from the TV or lamp) a spider climbing up the opposite wall, towards the ceiling. You're too comfortable to get up and kill it, but you just KNOW that if you close your eyes it will go onto the ceiling, and then it can possibly rapel down onto your face while you sleep. What a dilemma.

I also recall one night when I was a nipper and I slept on the floor of my folks' bedroom (nightmare or something) in a blowup bed. I woke up to find a big nasty spider IN MY HAIR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Spiders supposedly cannot stand the smell of citronella essential oil. If you have a spider infestation you are meant to mix some citronella with water and spray it around your room to keep the spiders away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I'm not the biggest fan of spiders but detest cockroaches more than anything. I know they're not in Ireland but anyway time I go somewhere warm they just gravitate towards me.

Years ago I was in Tenerife with my family. Everyone had gone to bed so I was standing on the balcony alone. I closed the door over but didn't realise it locked from the outside. So I had to sleep on the floor of the balcony - comfortable.

Anyway I woke up at some point to see this giant, winged creature of hell just looking at me with its little nibbly mandible things.

I let out a scream so loud and high that I was hitting pre-pubescent notes. Traumatised by them ever since. F*cking exoskeletons, those things just will not die when you stamp on them.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I also recall one night when I was a nipper and I slept on the floor of my folks' bedroom (nightmare or something) in a blowup bed. I woke up to find a big nasty spider IN MY HAIR.

"bed" ;)

my lord! sounds like a real nightmare :/
    Ah it wasn't so bad. Started off quite funnily though, I was sitting at my laptop and saw this tiny spider crawl up and along the bottom of the monitor, "aww" I thought as I watched it go on it's way. A few seconds later another one made the exact same journey, "aww" I thought, whilst at the same time thinking quite odd. Another few seconds and another one was passing. I had a black desk so wouldn't notice them while they're on it, but I looked along it and saw a little line moving. Turned out to be a little queue of baby spiders to cross my laptop, followed the queue up and found a line leading to my bed. Loads of of them were climbing along the line at the time, so I pulled up the duvet and low and behold there was a load of them on the bed. Another line was anchored to the bed at a different angle, followed that (also full of little spiders) and there was a load of them on my shelves and then on the ceiling. How I didn't notice, I don't know. I just put it down to being wrecked after being away for two weeks and came back and immediately sat down to check my emails without noticing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement