Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orfos Flares - 360 Degree Lights

Options
  • 25-10-2014 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

INCREDIBLE BRIGHTNESS: Utilizing 9 of the most efficient half watt LEDs available, the RED Flare is 300 Lumens. The WHITE Flare is 500 Lumens. These lights are much brighter than any chemical flare, and will match the intensity and light dispersion of modern LED car tail lights and daytime running lights. HIGH mode is bright enough to be used during the day or early evening! For rides in the darker hours of the night when eyes are dilated to let in more light, MEDIUM or LOW brightness modes will give extended run times.
    c8fd2d62ee4424eafab07bb3e6250f2d_large.JPG?1413610658

Waterproof, Magnetic Mounting, Rechargeable via USB and stupidly expensive, up on kickstarter now. What ya think?

What's out there that competes?
    Is their anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't know what they mean by "chemical flare". A pyrotechnic signal flare (one that burns) puts out perhaps half a million lumens, and a chemical signal wand (one that you crack to mix the chemicals) won't illuminate very much at all.

500 lumens is about the output of a domestic 40W incandescent bulb. Is that impressive? I don't know.

I'm a bit doubtful about the utility of a 360 degree illuminator for a reasonably fast moving bicycle. Most hazards on a moving bicycle come from almost directly in front or behind. Even traffic approaching from side junctions is (say 20 metres away, offset 3 metres to the left) is only off-axis by about 8-9 degrees (5% of the circle). An 18 degree beam will be 20x brighter than a 360 degree illuminator, and you don't even save on having the second light because the front one will be blocked to the rear by your bike and body, and vice versa.

Many flashing bike lights put out a good bit of light to the side anyway.

Anyway, more choice is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't know what they mean by "chemical flare". A pyrotechnic signal flare (one that burns) puts out perhaps half a million lumens, and a chemical signal wand (one that you crack to mix the chemicals) won't illuminate very much at all.

500 lumens is about the output of a domestic 40W incandescent bulb. Is that impressive? I don't know.

I'm a bit doubtful about the utility of a 360 degree illuminator for a reasonably fast moving bicycle. Most hazards on a moving bicycle come from almost directly in front or behind. Even traffic approaching from side junctions is (say 20 metres away, offset 3 metres to the left) is only off-axis by about 8-9 degrees (5% of the circle). An 18 degree beam will be 20x brighter than a 360 degree illuminator, and you don't even save on having the second light because the front one will be blocked to the rear by your bike and body, and vice versa.

Many flashing bike lights put out a good bit of light to the side anyway.

Anyway, more choice is better.

I can just see you at home now with the protractor and compass working that out. "Not now son, daddy is busy rubbishing some stuff on the internet."

Advertisement