Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Route suggestions needed

• 25-10-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭

Hi the time has come for me to tackle some real hills, after going around howth so much I think/hope I'm ready for the dublin/Wicklow mountains.
    I'll be leaving from the Coolock area and and looking for a good loop around the mountains(or big hills) before heading back home.
    I'n total I'll be looking at a spin between 50-60k
    Any suggestions how I should go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Drive to glendalough and park up. Wicklow gap, blessington, kippure, sally gap, luggala (descent) then back to the car. Its about 80km was route i took on my 1st venture into wicklow.

Or cycle to stocking lane, sally gap, descend military road to larag. On wAy out of laragh take a left off main road and take back road past balinastoe, down djouce into enniskerry then scalp, kilternan, clonskeagh, donnybrook, sandymount, east link and home.

Another suggestion would be to head into north county dublin. Its hilly and you,ll get alot of climbing in. Some bastard short climbs compared to Wicklow but good training and your close to home. Im sure some of the Swords guys have routes and hills they can give you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Cruach to featherbeds to lough bray to laragh.

Or out to Terenure and up by Johnny foxes to viewing point is a lot easier than cruach.

Cruach and lough bray are pretty tough first couple of times. It's far easier climbing back out of laragh either way.

Some nice hills around the lakes too, but the main blessing ton road is not that pleasant

Ps. I'm in Stoneybatter. Hit me up if you want company for them climbs

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

If you're cycling from Coolock start by heading to Rathfarnham and then up Cruagh Road, Glencullan and back. If that works out ok lengthen the loop to Cruagh, Featherbeds, Enniskerry and back. Much longer route would be Cruagh, Featherbeds, Lough Bray, Sally Gap, Luggala and back via Enniskerry.

Haha I just realised I gave you a c120k loop. Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

neris wrote: »
    Drive to glendalough and park up. Wicklow gap, blessington, kippure, sally gap, luggala (descent) then back to the car. Its about 80km was route i took on my 1st venture into wicklow.

Or cycle to stocking lane, sally gap, descend military road to larag. On wAy out of laragh take a left off main road and take back road past balinastoe, down djouce into enniskerry then scalp, kilternan, clonskeagh, donnybrook, sandymount, east link and home.

Another suggestion would be to head into north county dublin. Its hilly and you,ll get alot of climbing in. Some bastard short climbs compared to Wicklow but good training and your close to home. Im sure some of the Swords guys have routes and hills they can give you.
    thanks I already ventured into north county dublin in looking for something more challenging but yet something I can cycle home from, although driving up and parking isn't a bad idea.

slap/dash wrote: »
    Cruach to featherbeds to lough bray to laragh.

Or out to Terenure and up by Johnny foxes to viewing point is a lot easier than cruach.

Cruach and lough bray are pretty tough first couple of times. It's far easier climbing back out of laragh either way.

Some nice hills around the lakes too, but the main blessing ton road is not that pleasant
    Great stuff thanks I have an idea of my way out that direction might try up by Johnnie foxes.

Thanks for the offer of companionship I work weekends so most of my cycling is done at odd times like Tuesday morning and the likes.

And yes I'm guessing 120k might be a bit too much considering all the climbing ha ha.

Has anyone got any links to strava of similar routes I can use as a guide if I get off track? I've found it useful doing this in North county dublin when following the routes of more experienced cyclists.

Here's a link to my strava feed feel free to follow me and I can steel your routes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/210691115

iamtony wrote: »
    thanks I already ventured into north county dublin in looking for something more challenging but yet something I can cycle home from, although driving up and parking isn't a bad idea.

If you are going to drive down go as early as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Here's a link to my strava feed feel free to follow me and I can steel your routes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/210691115

Done.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    If you are going to drive down go as early as possible
    Is this to do with traffic, parking or daylight issues?

Is this to do with traffic, parking or daylight issues?

Traffic mainly. but during winter daylight aswell. You dont want to be stuck half way down a descent in fading light and the weather turning. Go early and go at your own pace on emptyish roads. During summer parking is an issue at the glendalough car park and the roads are alot busier with both cars and other cyclists

Got up that way today thanks for the advise. Unfortunately the marathon meant I had to ignore all your routes and just wing it.
    All I can say is it's tough and respect for all who do it regularly.
    I had a nasty wind against me all the way out that didn't help matters.
    There's a segment on their thats called stepaside lane - village to stop sign, and it totally caught me off guard. It's only 600mtrs but it's 12% grade and it is the only time I've ever had to stop going up a climb.
    After that I was afraid to venture too far I case it was all like that, thankfully it wasn't.
    Anyway here's the route I went for anyone interested.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/212338298

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There's a segment on their thats called stepaside lane - village to stop sign, and it totally caught me off guard. It's only 600mtrs but it's 12% grade and it is the only time I've ever had to stop going up a climb.

Congrats on your first venture into the hills.

If you take the previous left, up Burrow road, the going is quite a bit easier. Stepaside lane is a bit of a grunt and a groan. It is also worth checking the weather prior to heading off, more for wind than rain. The high road (Military road over Sallygap towards Laragh) is very exposed and best avoided in windy weather until you're well used to it. Well worth it in half way reasonable weather, where you can turn off back to Enniskerry if you don't fancy going on to the Sally gap.

smacl wrote: »
    Congrats on your first venture into the hills.

If you take the previous left, up Burrow road, the going is quite a bit easier. Stepaside lane is a bit of a grunt and a groan. It is also worth checking the weather prior to heading off, more for wind than rain. The high road (Military road over Sallygap towards Laragh) is very exposed and best avoided in windy weather until you're well used to it. Well worth it in half way reasonable weather, where you can turn off back to Enniskerry if you don't fancy going on to the Sally gap.
    thanks I'll take the turn next time I don't want to ever see that hill again, at least until I get a compact groupset:-) it literally sucked all of my energy for the more normal climbs that followed. I had to pull on the bars so hard to just turn the pedals my pecks were cramping up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

People often refer to the featherbeds. Where exactly is that. It seems from the above that it's a stretch of old military road, is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Great stuff thanks I have an idea of my way out that direction might try up by Johnnie foxes.

Thanks for the offer of companionship I work weekends so most of my cycling is done at odd times like Tuesday morning and the likes.

And yes I'm guessing 120k might be a bit too much considering all the climbing ha ha.

Hi there will gladly meet up with you tue week if interested show you a sweet 60ish k loop going no further than Enniskerry could meet you dundrum area let me know if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

People often refer to the featherbeds. Where exactly is that. It seems from the above that it's a stretch of old military road, is that right?

Its called the "Old Military Road" but is actually the main road up from Rathfarnham, the R115. The part that is referred to as the Featherbeds stretches approximately from beyond the treeline, about 2-3km after the viewing point at the Old Miliatary Road/Cruagh Road junction, to the turn off for Glencree/Enniskerry. In the late summer you can see the tips of plants that have gone to seed and look like feathers which I think is were the name originated. The surface is actually very good from the viewing point up to about halfway from there to Glencree, at that point it becomes the boneshaking experience of a bogroad that pretty much lasts all the way to Laragh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Its called the "Old Military Road" but is actually the main road up from Rathfarnham, the R115. The part that is referred to as the Featherbeds stretches approximately from beyond the treeline, about 2-3km after the viewing point at the Old Miliatary Road/Cruagh Road junction, to the turn off for Glencree/Enniskerry. In the late summer you can see the tips of plants that have gone to seed and look like feathers which I think is were the name originated. The surface is actually very good from the viewing point up to about halfway from there to Glencree, at that point it becomes the boneshaking experience of a bogroad that pretty much lasts all the way to Laragh!

Thanks for that! Is the turn off for Enniskerry the L1011? Thinking of kcr/rathfarnham/stocking lane/military road/Enniskerry and back but not sure which turn off military road. Any recommendations 're good surfaces/options welcome...is it well signposted etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... in looking for something more challenging but yet something I can cycle home from..
    Kilmashogue Lane should do the trick and within easy cycling distance of Coolock.
    DaithiMC wrote: »
    ..The part that is referred to as the Featherbeds stretches approximately from beyond the treeline, about 2-3km after the viewing point at the Old Miliatary Road/Cruagh Road junction, to the turn off for Glencree/Enniskerry...
    It's also said to be the second highest section of paved road in Ireland.
    ... Is the turn off for Enniskerry the L1011?...
    Yes - look for the sign for Glencree Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

I was up there yesterday op and it was tough, my kippure time was 12 minutes below my best, usual variance is 2 - 3 minutes, very strong winds across feather bed section.

If you make your way to harold's cross, go straight in a southerly direction and take a right at the yellow house pub then you just keep going straight and you're into the mountains. The first hill is cruagh and it's the most difficult on that stretch. The good thing about this route is that if that's enough for you you can turn back but as you get fitter you can continue on up to glencree, then sally gap, then kippure or laragh or guinness lake. The scenery up there is stunning and it's very accessible from city centre, we're blessed (kippure is less than 3 hours return from my house in inchicore, 1000 meters climb, great burn for that time).

It's also said to be the second highest section of paved road in Ireland.

Really? There are at least two sections immediately above it which are higher, up to sally gap and then up from sally gap to laragh. Plus the road up to kippure which is private but fully accessible to cyclists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Kilmashogue Lane should do the trick and within easy cycling distance of Coolock.

New to hills, running a standard groupset, struggled with stepaside lane? Maybe just a tiny tad ambitious. :pac:

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Hi there will gladly meet up with you tue week if interested show you a sweet 60ish k loop going no further than Enniskerry could meet you dundrum area let me know if interested
    Hi thanks for the offer! my cycling schedul is very spur of the moment and I can't really plan anything in advance.

a148pro wrote: »
    I was up there yesterday op and it was tough, my kippure time was 12 minutes below my best, usual variance is 2 - 3 minutes, very strong winds across feather bed section.

If you make your way to harold's cross, go straight in a southerly direction and take a right at the yellow house pub then you just keep going straight and you're into the mountains. The first hill is cruagh and it's the most difficult on that stretch. The good thing about this route is that if that's enough for you you can turn bck but as you get fitter you can continue on up to glencree, then sally gap, then kippure or laragh or guinness lake. The scenery up there is stunning and it's very accessible from city centre, we're blessed (kippure is less than 3 hours return from my house in inchicore, 1000 meters climb, great burn for that time).

Really? There are at least two sections immediately above it which are higher, up to sally gap and then up from sally gap to laragh. Plus the road up to kippure which is private but fully accessible to cyclists.

Thanks for that I will go out by the yellow house next time. ill keep an eye on the wind next time for a calmer day.
    I was really impressed with the scenery up that way definitely makes it worthwhile, plus the downhill sections are great although I took it handy due to dirt/gravel on the road plus not knowing what was coming next.

New to hills, running a standard groupset, struggled with stepaside lane? Maybe just a tiny tad ambitious. :pac:
    yes i agree I had a look at it there, i said I was looking for a challenge but something I could cycle home from:-)

yes i agree I had a look at it there, i said I was looking for a challenge but something I could cycle home from:-)
    It was tongue in cheek based on the 'challenge'. The first time I tackled it, I was almost traumatised! :pac:

a148pro wrote: »

If you make your way to harold's cross, go straight in a southerly direction and take a right at the yellow house pub then you just keep going straight and you're into the mountains. The first hill is cruagh and it's the most difficult on that stretch. The good thing about this route is that if that's enough for you you can turn back but as you get fitter you can continue on up to glencree, then sally gap, then kippure or laragh or guinness lake. The scenery up there is stunning and it's very accessible from city centre, we're blessed (kippure is less than 3 hours return from my house in inchicore, 1000 meters climb, great burn for that time).

Taking a right after the Ballyboden roundabout and going up via stocking lane is a nice one too. That hill at mount venus is a good one to blow the cobwebs out.

ronoc wrote: »
    Taking a right after the Ballyboden roundabout and going up via stocking lane is a nice one too. That hill at mount venus is a good one to blow the cobwebs out.
    That also has the option of returning via Cruagh (stay left after the viewing point). Or it can be done vice versa - up Cruagh and down Stocking Lane.

Another option for anyone who wants a 'starter' climb is to go up Cruagh and take the acute left after the bridge on the bend. This will bring you down to Glencullen then turn left at the T junction at the Topaz filling station and you'll be heading back to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

It was tongue in cheek based on the 'challenge'. The first time I tackled it, I was almost traumatised! :pac:

Almost ! I was and still trying to pluck up the courage to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Thanks for that! Is the turn off for Enniskerry the L1011? Thinking of kcr/rathfarnham/stocking lane/military road/Enniskerry and back but not sure which turn off military road. Any recommendations 're good surfaces/options welcome...is it well signposted etc

Yes, the L1011 turns off the R115 in a hairpin and heads for Glencree (nice coffee shop just before the next right hand turn at the bottom of the hill there) and then on to Enniskerry. I don't mind that road heading to Enniskerry but the surface is cut up in places so despite the downward trend in that direction you don't get the benefit of being able to really speed down it! If you get as far as Enniskerry I would not go back, just go back along the Enniskerry Rd that will bring you directly to Sandyford/Dundrum, or if you want to kill yourself a little more, turn just before the "Blue Church" in Kilternan and head up past Johnny Foxe's and onto Cruagh Road from there.

One other option, and even though the surface is still iffy in places, is to go past the L1011 and turn left (its actually the second left, the first is more of a fork but don't go down there) along the other side of Glencree Valley - its a better "viewing" road and brings you out "above" Enniskerry to the south, and then you have the nice descent into Enniskerry and up the Lover's Lane climb we all love to hate!

Advertisement