Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double murder accused granted bail!!!

• 17-07-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

WTF???

A Dublin youth charged with the murders of Polish nationals Pawel Kalite and Marius Szwajkos was today served with the book of evidence and sent forward for trial to the Central Criminal Court....

Following his first court appearance he had been remanded in custody but was subsequently granted bail by the High Court....

Conditional bail including a curfew from 10pm to 7am and a ban on consuming drink and drugs had been fixed by the High Court in March with a cash lodgement of €4,000....

However, the teenager is being held in custody in St Patrick’s Institution on foot of a High Court warrant pending an application to have his bail revoked next week....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlaukfkfmh/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

If he is inside he costs money.

If they let him out they get a bail payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Dragan wrote: »

Forget about the money aspect. THIS GUY IS ACCUSED OF THE MURDER OF TWO PEOPLE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

SCUM
    end of discussion

LouOB wrote: »
    SCUM
    end of discussion

I'll wait for the verdict before I start the name calling, but I'm in shock that a person charged with 2 murders can be given bail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I think Dragans point is that from a fiscal perspective it's cheaper if he's on the streets, (in other words not a moral choice).

That said, you focused on his "release" and completely failed to notice that he's been remanded in custody pending the outcome of an attempt to revoke his bail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

How exactly do you think it works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

To England, forthwith!

That said, you focused on his "release" and completely failed to notice that he's been remanded in custody pending the outcome of an attempt to revoke his bail.

Yeah never got that far as I was fuming :mad: The fact that bail was granted is sickening :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

This is the Irish judicial system, is it news to you that it's quite ****ed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually bail is only a bond, not a payment. If the kid turns up to court again, then the person who put up his bail gets their €4k back.

€4k is way too small. It should be something more substantial like €250k (i.e. the cost of his Dad's house).

At least though the kid is actually still in custody because someone realised that letting him out was a dumb idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I think Dragans point is that from a fiscal perspective it's cheaper if he's on the streets, (in other words not a moral choice).

That's true and to be honest I think everyone should be entitled to bail and it shouldn't be the province of only the rich. Still his bail conditions are a joke. It's not even house arrest, just a curfew.

Yes, but not to sound pedantic but the only reason he's still remanded is because he was granted bail.

He should still be in custody as a result of never having been granted bail on such a charge in the first instance. The lightweight bond is a joke.

I suppose it's an indication of the Irish Justice system that someone is meant to weigh up four grand, compare it to the possible sentence and decide to stick around as losing four grand is worse than being convicted. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

DonJose wrote: »
    Forget about the money aspect. THIS GUY IS ACCUSED OF THE MURDER OF TWO PEOPLE!!!

well spotted. He's accused of it. Not guilty. If a person isn't guilty of a crime and doesn't have 'form' for not turning up for court hearings, it's possible for bail to be granted with rather strict conditions. I'm not saying that the conditions here are strict enough, or agreeing with the terms, but the idea that a person should be locked up just 'cos they've been accused of something is ridiculous.

What if the case is thrown out? What if he's found not guilty by virtue of the evidence presented? He'd never get that time spent inside.

First time he steps out of line whilst out on bail, he's going in anyway, so it's not as if the streets are that unsafe. And if they are, that's the price we pay (rightly or wrongly) for having a system where you're innocent till proven guilty.

and @ Seamus - the chances are that the cash lodgement is only a portion of what the person who put up the money would be 'down' if the guy didn't turn up; they tend to require 1/3 of the bail be cash, such that the surety is actually 'bonded' to the amount of €12,000. Still not worth the value of a house, but the kind of money that will mean that the surety will try and be certain the accused will actually turn up for the hearing.
    Now playing: The Rolling Stones - Sister Morphine
    via FoxyTunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Innocent until proven guilty.

I assume that had he caused trouble whilst in custody, the bail application would've been rejected. He may very well have behaved sensibly, and therefore would be seen as low risk.

I do however take the point, as last year I remember there was a shocking statistic showing the amount of 'accused' crims skipping out whilst on bail. Why don't we have these electronic ankle tag gismos? That'd at least make the general public feel a bit safer, I think.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

connundrum wrote: »
    Innocent until proven guilty.

That's a concept that's entirely lost on many people around here.

It's "presumed guilty 'cos that's wot I did read in the Star and wot everyone else does think, until proven innocent"

connundrum wrote: »
    I do however take the point, as last year I remember there was a shocking statistic showing the amount of 'accused' crims skipping out whilst on bail.

Too true, just read a story about one of these cases this week,

Lithuanian man accused of rape fails to make court appearance

He was remanded on continuing bail for the rape trial but was then arrested at the door of the court-room in the Round Hall of the Four Courts on foot of a European arrest warrant for an alleged offence in Lithuania and taken away in handcuffs....

The accused’s partner told Mr Bowman she had posted €4,000 bail for him....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2008/0714/ireland/mhgbsngbidmh/

I'll wait for the verdict before I start the name calling, but I'm in shock that a person charged with 2 murders can be given bail.
    Maximilian wrote: »

It's "presumed guilty 'cos that's wot I did read in the Star and wot everyone else does think, until proven innocent"

Which is exactly why I posted, "I'll wait for the verdict before I start the name calling, but I'm in shock that a person charged with 2 murders can be given bail." Plus I also made reference to "ACCUSED" several times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

This is the little bollox who showed up at his first hearing wearing a tracksuit.For that alone i'd happily sentence him to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Maximilian wrote: »

Not on good ol' Paudge Behan though.

"In Irlandesa innocente until proven guilty!"

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Which is exactly why I posted, "I'll wait for the verdict before I start the name calling, but I'm in shock that a person charged with 2 murders can be given bail." Plus I also made reference to "ACCUSED" several times.

Steady on old chap, I wasn't referring to you, rather those who will before long crawl out from rocks up yonder where thar be that there moral hoy groun'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is he tagged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

if two irishmen were killed in poland, and then one of the accused was granted bail then there would be absolute outroar here!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Accused. Not too long ago a man was held in custody for over a year on foot of a false allegation of rape.

Our bail laws are really quite simple, unless there is a good reason to refuse bail, it is granted as of right. You are presumed innocent and you have the right to liberty that shall not be interfered with save in due course of law.

On the other hand, if the gardai suspected that he was going to commit more serious crimes they could make a s.2. application to have bail revoked, so there is nothing wrong with the legal system.

What is wrong is that people look no further than the charges, and, as Maximilian says, presume guilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,113 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't know they don't just drive 'em to the airport. At least they'll then know where they've gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Too true, just read a story about one of these cases this week,

Lithuanian man accused of rape fails to make court appearance

He was remanded on continuing bail for the rape trial but was then arrested at the door of the court-room in the Round Hall of the Four Courts on foot of a European arrest warrant for an alleged offence in Lithuania and taken away in handcuffs....

The accused’s partner told Mr Bowman she had posted €4,000 bail for him....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2008/0714/ireland/mhgbsngbidmh/

Fookin foreigners. If an Irish lad was up on a charge commited against a foreigner he would be on remand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Degsy wrote: »
    This is the little bollox who showed up at his first hearing wearing a tracksuit.For that alone i'd happily sentence him to death.
    RACIST! That "tracksuit" is a traditional garment of his unique culture. The bright, clashing colours symbolise his sexual potency. The €200 runners advertise his wealth.

Also, it doesn't matter that he's only accused. The case carries (potentially) two life sentences, making it almost certain that he's already off to Morocco in a rowboat

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

Not on good ol' Paudge Behan though.

"In Irlandesa innocente until proven guilty!"

That was so cringe-worthy....and he's lived in Italy for 2 years :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

And then if they are proven innocent? What happens to compensate them for the time they spent imprisoned for, let's face it, no reason?
    Yes, and there's a reason we have courts: to try and examine that evidence to make absolutely sure that the accused person has, in fact, done something which warrants the total destruction of their liberty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

As an update, Newstalk are now saying that this young chap is to come before the High Court as he was in breech of his bail terms.

Apparently he was caught off his head on E and drink about 3 weeks ago.

He hasn't been arrested but is due to make this court appearance where the Judge will take this new evidence into consideration.

Innocent or guilty, when you're on bail and act the eejit then you deserve a kick in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I think you did it and should be locked up until you can prove you are innocent.

Terry wrote: »
    I think you did it and should be locked up until you can prove you are innocent.

Indeed. What's more, the AH mods could start banning people if they felt a person is likely to breach the Charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I already do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Yes, their lives are only worth 4000e. Letting an accused murderer wander the streets is worth 4000e? What a crazy statement to make. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Our bail laws are really quite simple, unless there is a good reason to refuse bail, it is granted as of right. You are presumed innocent and you have the right to liberty that shall not be interfered with save in due course of law.

On the other hand, if the gardai suspected that he was going to commit more serious crimes they could make a s.2. application to have bail revoked, so there is nothing wrong with the legal system.

What is wrong is that people look no further than the charges, and, as Maximilian says, presume guilt.

So, its the Garda fault for not making this application to revoke bail?

How do we draw a line on the bigger picture, should every person accused of murder be granted bail?
    I believe they shouldn't as i do trust the gardai to apprehend the right people who have been suspected of this offence with evidence due before a court.

It just ain't right! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

gurramok wrote: »
    How do we draw a line on the bigger picture, should every person accused of murder be granted bail?

If there's no reason to suspect that they won't turn up for their trial, and no reason to suspect that they won't offend again, then yes.
    gurramok wrote: »
    I believe they shouldn't as i do trust the gardai to apprehend the right people who have been suspected of this offence with evidence due before a court.

But sure if the Gardai are always going to get the right person, why do we bother our arses having trials in the first instance? As a rubber-stamping exercise?

Why not just give the Gardai power to lock up anybody once they reckon that 'yer man must have done it'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement