Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops playing Christmas Music

• 23-09-2008 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

Was in Argos in Pavillions, Swords this morning ( 23rd September ).
    I could'nt believe my ears - they were playing Christmas songs :eek:
    I said to the clerk " Am I hearing things or is that Christmas music?"
    He replies " Yeah, ye know yourself!":rolleyes:
    He then points to a large poster of a dressed Christmas pudding.
    Mad - the first sign on a late summer and the Carols are being played:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Isn't there some unwritten rule where shops abuse Halloween before Christmas? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

There should be a rule, they dilute it so much that everyone is sick of it by the time it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I was in Superquinn in Ballinteer last night and Frankie Goes to Hollywood was blasting out 'The Power of Love' bit like Take That's 'Stay Another Day' not strictly a Christmas song, but only ever gets played at Crimbo and both are on all the Christmas Compilations. It sent a shiver down my spine I tell thee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I know I know. Dread it already

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

Disturbing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

We got mince pies today at Aldi. So it begins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I was in Superquinn in Ballinteer last night and Frankie Goes to Hollywood was blasting out 'The Power of Love' bit like Take That's 'Stay Another Day' not strictly a Christmas song, but only ever gets played at Crimbo and both are on all the Christmas Compilations. It sent a shiver down my spine I tell thee!

East 17 I think that was, and it's only a Christmas one of they play them bells in the middle of it. I'm not too bothered about whether they play Christmas songs before Christmas, same as I'm not bothered if they play big summer tunes in Winter. I think people get far too wound up about it, it's just music, if you don't like it, carry an mp3 player or whatever and listen to something you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Im sure its all very well thought out by the marketing departments of these large companies, i bet they have 'Pre Halloween Christmassy Compilations' that have songs that are not directly chrismassy as such, but plant the seed in your mind none the less.

Then post halloween Compilations, where they dip their toe in the water a little bit further, more indirect christmassy songs intersperessed with a few full on christmas tunes for the month of November.

Then when December rolls in, the 100% Full on Christmas Compilation rolls out.

I used to work in the bank a few years ago, they used to get a CD sent down from 'Head Somewhere' with a certain 5 or 6 songs on to suit the time of year etc. Needless to say, when you were sitting listening to them all day they began to grate, when we asked to change them we were told firmly 'No'.

I thought a little bit of metallica or some such would really brighten the bankers experience... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

some shops in the USA start to slowly creep in their christmas stock anytime after the 4th of July. Sad, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

Oh God, Its so depressing :(

• Advertisement

Bah humbug the lot of ye!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

We got mince pies today at Aldi. So it begins

Adli in Tralee are selling them too. Also Christmas cake. I wouldn’t mind only they out of date in November of this year:eek:

mmmmmmm mince pies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

/legs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh well it is nearly Christmas in fairness

:pac:

oh yeah only 90 odd days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*fingers in ears*

Lalalalalala not listening.... Nothing should be mentioned about Christmas before 1 December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I heard Santa held all his money with Lehman Brothers, so there'll be no toys this Christmas....

One to tell the kids...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Anyone else hate christmas more and more each year?
    Nothing should be mentioned about Christmas before 1 December.
    +1
    I'd support legislation on this.
    Ban the played-to-death christmas songs.
    Completely ban all christmas-themed advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i played a shítload of xmas songs in the pub i work in last week just wreck peoples heads/confuse them. it had the desired effect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dirtycode

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'll drop by ballinteer when i'm out walking this evening - i seriously doubt they've it on already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Anyone else hate christmas more and more each year?

+1
    I'd support legislation on this.
    Ban the played-to-death christmas songs.
    Completely ban all christmas-themed advertising.

When the clock strikes 12 you will be visited by 3 ghosts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭gidget

I feel sorry for the poor staff working there that have to listen to it over and over all day long, sure they can complain, but at the end of the day, it's the suits upstairs who orders it! Brings back memories of when i worked in Superquinn when i was a teenager and the music was on the loop system - even today when the songs that were played come on i have to quickly turn them off because i'm that sick of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Ok, the summer was sh1te, its only come september we get half consistent or decent weather, basically we have got our "summer" now.

And they, THEY have the fcuking cheek to start with cristmas music, now, when I can go outside and its not lashing rain for the first time in months.
    When I can walk around town, have a coffee, a smoke etc. in relative comfort outside.

Fecking christmas, FECKIN CHRISTMAS?

Fcuk feckin Christmas at this stage, what, remind me why dont ye that its going to start getting cold, and probably wet, right when I can just about go outside.
    Feck off, it will rain not snow, then snow in February, and we'll all buy as much sh1te as ever, in the tackiest way possible.

Anyone with sense wont be buying their presents in any gaudy shop decked out with bells, they'll buy it online, from a travel agency, and go to Australia for the Sun, and not miss the melted snow we'll have pouring on our heads back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Was in Argos in Pavillions, Swords this morning ( 23rd September ).
    I could'nt believe my ears - they were playing Christmas songs :eek:
    I said to the clerk " Am I hearing things or is that Christmas music?"
    He replies " Yeah, ye know yourself!":rolleyes:
    He then points to a large poster of a dressed Christmas pudding.
    Mad - the first sign on a late summer and the Carols are being played:confused:

Thats crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

gidget wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the poor staff working there that have to listen to it over and over all day long, sure they can complain, but at the end of the day, it's the suits upstairs who orders it! Brings back memories of when i worked in Superquinn when i was a teenager and the music was on the loop system - even today when the songs that were played come on i have to quickly turn them off because i'm that sick of them.

One of the years that I worked in GAME we took a hammer to the Christmas CD on New Year's Eve, after our manager had refused to play anything else for 7 weeks. Freedom was delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Motosam wrote: »
    Ok, the summer was sh1te, its only come september we get half consistent or decent weather, basically we have got our "summer" now.

And they, THEY have the fcuking cheek to start with cristmas music, now, when I can go outside and its not lashing rain for the first time in months.
    When I can walk around town, have a coffee, a smoke etc. in relative comfort outside.

Fecking christmas, FECKIN CHRISTMAS?

Fcuk feckin Christmas at this stage, what, remind me why dont ye that its going to start getting cold, and probably wet, right when I can just about go outside.
    Feck off, it will rain not snow, then snow in February, and we'll all buy as much sh1te as ever, in the tackiest way possible.

Anyone with sense wont be buying their presents in any gaudy shop decked out with bells, they'll buy it online, from a travel agency, and go to Australia for the Sun, and not miss the melted snow we'll have pouring on our heads back here.

What i said

dirtycode wrote: »
    Merry Christmas everyone.
    fixed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 SpookyWriter

Overheal wrote: »
    some shops in the USA start to slowly creep in their christmas stock anytime after the 4th of July. Sad, really.
    These the same shops that have black and white seating?

Advertisement