Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The attitude of prison guards towards the public

Options
  • 06-06-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Ok I might get completely banned for writing this . But I have to put it up to see has anyone else had the same experiences ,. Prison guards !!!! Jesus some of them can be so ignorant . Now I'm not tarring every prison guard with the same brush as some of them are genuinely sound . But some have just a chip on their shoulder . I know they have a hard job and all that but I've met a few that would almost shock u with their ignorance and attitude towards the public , and by the public I mean outside visitors to a prison . Has anyone else had this experience ? Or is it just me who's trying my best to be polite to people who have no concept of it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

You couldn't pay me enough to be a prison guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

A little more detail wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If you stopped trashing your cell, you probably won't have a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Fackin' screws. Ah fink the best fing a'do is feed 'em ta pigs. Go through bone laahk buttah. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I myself am a prison guard (in a Dublin Prison) and I have to sympathize with you on this. I've seen it a lot myself from 'senior' staff especially.

My opinion is that visitors have it tough enough as it is, visiting their loved ones in jail, without having to deal with abrupt or rude staff. It's not their fault that the person is locked up, yet some officers make judgements anyway. Shame on them.

For what it's worth, we are instructed by management to be cordial and professional to all visitors to our jail and I can honestly tell you that I always am. But yes, there is a rotten attitude among some of the old timers and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Hope it improves for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Colash wrote: »
    Ok I might get completely banned for writing this . But I have to put it up to see has anyone else had the same experiences ,. Prison guards !!!! Jesus some of them can be so ignorant . Now I'm not tarring every prison guard with the same brush as some of them are genuinely sound . But some have just a chip on their shoulder . I know they have a hard job and all that but I've met a few that would almost shock u with their ignorance and attitude towards the public , and by the public I mean outside visitors to a prison . Has anyone else had this experience ? Or is it just me who's trying my best to be polite to people who have no concept of it??

What did you do that landed you in prison?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Valetta wrote: »
    A little more detail wouldn't go astray.

Ok . U say hello to a prison guard ! They look the other way ..., u ask a prison guard if the visiting times are from a certain time to a certain time , they say "do u not know by now " .. U walk to an exit gate to be let out after a visit and a prison guard huffs at the top of their voice and says " Jesus not another one" .. U arrive at a prison after booking a visit and no evidence of the per booked visit in found , after u travelling 2 hours and your told " come back tomorrow " next please .. Are they trained to be so blunt and ignorant ?

What did you do that landed you in prison?

U obviously didn't read the thread . I visited a prison . I'm not a prisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

A Prison Guard is one of those public-facing jobs where I can excuse a bit of rudeness or ignorance.

The only experience I have with prison guards was on a TY school tour to Mountjoy where, when we were walking in the gate, one of the prison guards pointed at the shy kid in our class and said "Ooohhh, they'll keep him!".

He shat his way through the entire tour.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    I myself am a prison guard (in a Dublin Prison) and I have to sympathize with you on this. I've seen it a lot myself from 'senior' staff especially.

My opinion is that visitors have it tough enough as it is, visiting their loved ones in jail, without having to deal with abrupt or rude staff. It's not their fault that the person is locked up, yet some officers make judgements anyway. Shame on them.

For what it's worth, we are instructed by management to be cordial and professional to all visitors to our jail and I can honestly tell you that I always am. But yes, there is a rotten attitude among some of the old timers and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Hope it improves for you.

Thank u very much for this reply . And I'd shake your hand if I met u as u seem like one of the decent few I was referring to

humanji wrote: »
    If you stopped trashing your cell, you probably won't have a problem with them.

As a moderator I would have expected u to read my original post !! But then again it's the after hours section .. I'm not in prison ,,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Ok . U say hello to a prison guard ! They look the other way ..., u ask a prison guard if the visiting times are from a certain time to a certain time , they say "do u not know by now " .. U walk to an exit gate to be let out after a visit and a prison guard huffs at the top of their voice and says " Jesus not another one" .. U arrive at a prison after booking a visit and no evidence of the per booked visit in found , after u travelling 2 hours and your told " come back tomorrow " next please .. Are they trained to be so blunt and ignorant ?

It's a prison, not a bloody 5 star hotel. What do you expect?

As a moderator I would have expected u to read my original post !! But then again it's the after hours section .. I'm not in prison ,,.

Not yet, but you keep harassing mods like that and see what happens!

It's a prison, not a bloody 5 star hotel. What do you expect?

So saying hello and asking a question to a public servant is seen as excessive ???! Jesus Mary and Joseph has the county really come to this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You'll be off to prison here too if you don't start using the full keyboard and the guards there are real bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Seachmall wrote: »
    A Prison Guard is one of those public-facing jobs where I can excuse a bit of rudeness or ignorance.

The only experience I have with prison guards was on a TY school tour to Mountjoy where, when we were walking in the gate, one of the prison guards pointed at the shy kid in our class and said "Ooohhh, they'll keep him!".

He shat his way through the entire tour.

The shy kid .... it was you , wasn't it ?

Seachmall wrote: »
    Not yet, but you keep harassing mods like that and see what happens!

Harassing mods ? Ah lads c'mon .

mattjack wrote: »
    The shy kid .... it was you , wasn't it ?

I'm not shy, I'm a lone wolf!
    Harassing mods ? Ah lads c'mon .
    Hey now, no need to start on me. I'm just giving some friendly advice!

Roughian...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've done some volunteering work in prisons and found the staff to be mostly ok. Think after a while it erodes the soul. Would not do it for love nor money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I've done some volunteering work in prisons and found the staff to be mostly ok. Think after a while it erodes the soul. Would not do it for love nor money.

Very difficult to volunteer in prisons , the agency I work with only lets full time employees into prisons.
    Pretty impressive to get in .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Very difficult to volunteer in prisons , the agency I work with only lets full time employees into prisons.

Yeah. I've worked in a couple of places like that... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Thank u very much for this reply . And I'd shake your hand if I met u as u seem like one of the decent few I was referring to

I don't understand. Your entire post reads grand, except you can't be bothered to type 'you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I did read you rant and felt a quick quip was all it deserved. There's arseholes in every job that deals with the public. It's nothing new. Expecting everyone to treat everyone else with respect is asking a bit much from humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Yer, I can kinda understand, dealing with hardened criminals all day would probably erode your ability to put on a pleasant face for the public and on top of that I've heard of many prison guards getting a lot of crap from visitors - even threats against their families, lots of scum out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't do it directly for the prison service. I am with an organisation that run work shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Should this not be in the Prison Section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I wouldn't know, thankfully I've never had cause to visit a prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I can hardly get the gear outa me youngfellas nappie without dem annoying me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I visit prisons a lot, like all walks of life there are good and bad, to be honest the majority I have met are good. Was in a prison recently waiting in the waiting room to be processed through, women came into visit bf/husband she had her child with her, prison office had a chat with her about baby asking after the child and how was the person getting on very friendly and very polite.

Advertisement