Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] Anyone interested in letting a student camp in you back yard (UCD)

Options
  • 04-03-2013 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello,

I'm an Msc UCD student looking for a way to make ends meet. A tent is the only option for me. Would anyone be interested in "letting" their back yard and possibly the use of a kitchen?

Let me know what you think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

How far from UCD you looking for?

And how much would you be looking to pay? (Its kinda difficult to price given a lack of known precident for this :))

Funnily enough recently a friend was looking to camp in my back for a while with a similar set-up but ended up not doing it.

Im in Dolphins Barn. Garden has rear access. Distacnec could be cycled easy enough at about 6km each way. Also very close to city.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 the5thace

Thanks for the response coolmelon. Dolphin Barns is too far away. I would end up spending another fortune on the bus or a bike. I would be willing to pay 50 a month for the opportunity. Perhaps more if my position improved. Hypothetically would that interest you?

It is difficult to know. Presumably you would be using the shower and toilet. In the kitchen you would be talking about the fridge, kettle, gas cooker, washing machine. Essentially everything someone in the house would be using bar the gas central heating.

These are all not cheap when the bills come in. But the the same time it would be difficult to aportion you usage of these given heating and cooking bills are together.

Hypothetically, I would probably be looking for between 80-100 (bills probably included)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 the5thace

You would be right about the kitchen use but I would leave your bathroom alone as the UCD gym sorts me out in that regard. Thanks for the feedback!

You could consider camping in a public park some place if you have a place to wash etc.. Im sure there are plenty of secluded places in SCD to do so. BUT, and I dont know if you have ever camped before, tents can get very wet on the inside every night from condensation and rain (even the expensive ones), and thats not a nice experience to wake up to every morning. Particularly after prolonged periods of rain when the tent dosnt get a chance to dry out. Tents are not good in my experience.

Sleeping rough sounds, well, hobo-ish. But having cycled around Ireland for two weeks and the continent for three months, thats exactly what I did to avoid using a tent. And its perfectly fine. Never4 had a spot of bother.

All you need then is a stove/kellyskettle or eat out, and a suitable place to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Is it possible to house sit for someone or dogsit for someone heading away for the summer??
    Or what about acting as an 'au pair' for an older person

These are only guesses for me-just if you have someone who can vouch for you maybe you could offer some type of help/work for free lodgings

Just an idea!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement