Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen Election leaflet from 2007

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭NUIG_FiannaFail

I fail to see anything 'bad' or misleading in that literature? Most of it has been achieved, or would have been, but for severe global recession and idiot economists in this country talking down the property market.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...idiot economists in this country talking down the property market.
    So the bubble wasn't the problem, so much as the fact that it burst?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I fail to see anything 'bad' or misleading in that literature? Most of it has been achieved, or would have been, but for severe global recession and idiot economists in this country talking down the property market.

Someone better tell McWilliams then. He's missing out on a lucrative deal with NAMA if he's the one responsible for the collapse.

Also, the fact that on a quick search of your posts shows that you like to use the words, "patriotic" and "pinko" says quite a lot about you.

Awaiting your favourable reply,
    Byron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Fianna Fail must be delighted to have someone who tows the party line like you amongst their supporters. Take off the party glasses and stop being so bloody blinkered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

You must have either a short or a selective memory because as I recall Cowen was selling the message of a soft landing in the run up to the 2007 election. He was also spitting out the mantra that FF are the best managers of the economy in the event of a downturn.
    Both assertations turned out to be completely untrue and Cowen has now lost all credibility as has anyone who is a member of that party.

• Advertisement

Let's not personalise the discussion, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So it's all the fault of the 'idiot economists' is it? Silly me, i didnt realsie they ran the countyr for the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,283 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Idiot economists? Who was Minister for Finance?

Oh, yes, sorry, some small town solicitor was Minister for Finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what about sean fleming being born in the swan? that's surely a major achievement for genetics and humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Do you think that having the average house price at twelve times the average salary - and the high wages that results in - was sustainable for ever?

Do you think that the house prices across the world were all talked down due to economists?

Do you think that cheap credit was going to last forever?

Do you think that property-oriented banks such as Anglo Irish Bank, now tens of billions in debt, had a sustainable business plan that was only affected by "idiot economists"?

P.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭NUIG_FiannaFail

Lads the reason the crash hit us so hard was a combination of global events outside the control of our government and a lot of negative talk here at home combined with a lack of confidence by the irish public in their own abilities. However i'm not here to play the blame game. We all need to put our shoulders to the wheel, cut out the complaining about NAMA (which is the only game in town) and cutbacks (no-one likes them but they are needed) and in no time we'll back to the good old days. Positive thinking lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Lads the reason the crash hit us so hard was a combination of global events outside the control of our government and a lot of negative talk here at home combined with a lack of confidence by the irish public in their own abilities. However i'm not here to play the blame game. We all need to put our shoulders to the wheel, cut out the complaining about NAMA (which is the only game in town) and cutbacks (no-one likes them but they are needed) and in no time we'll back to the good old days. Positive thinking lads.

There is so much cognitive dissonance in your two posts it's almost beyond belief. Best of luck to you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Yeah sure it was nothing at all to do with the government's economic policies, or the lack of proper government regulation, it's just cause we had a lack of confidence. Jesus man get a grip, wonder why Ireland is worst hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,283 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lads the reason the crash hit us so hard was a combination of global events outside the control of our government and a lot of negative talk here at home combined with a lack of confidence by the irish public in their own abilities.
    Bertie, is that you? should we all commit suicide now?
    However i'm not here to play the blame game. We all need to put our shoulders to the wheel, cut out the complaining about NAMA (which is the only game in town) and cutbacks (no-one likes them but they are needed) and in no time we'll back to the good old days. Positive thinking lads.
    Bread and circuses? Lots of people are missing the bread.

Lads the reason the crash hit us so hard was a combination of global events outside the control of our government and a lot of negative talk here at home combined with a lack of confidence by the irish public in their own abilities. However i'm not here to play the blame game.
    As has been said, cognitive dissonance. How can you lay the blame everywhere but at the feet of the government that was, y'know, running the country, and then say you're not playing the blame game?

Have you read the recent reports into the banking crisis in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Amazing. It has taken almost two years for the architects of this crisis to admit responsibility. It was only stimulated by the Reigling and Watson Reports and Honohan Report, but at least the first steps of self-reflection and self acceptance have began. Regrettably, people like NUIG-FF dont read newspapers, or watch television, and are stuck spouting the 2008-2009 mantra of "Global Economic Recession". P.S Windfall/unsustainable property taxes were always going to dry up. The likes of David McWilliams had nothing to do with the collapse of the property market. The Japenese experience in 1991 has taught us all we need to know about booms fuelled by unsustainable suorces of revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

yes because what we need instead of realistically priced houses that normal people can afford is multi generation mortgages so your grandchildren can pay off the last of your mortgage - i blame the banks!!!!

NUIG_FiannaFail wake up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Do ya want to say that over a megaphone to the 450,000 people on the dole ques ?

Does 10% + Increases in public expenditure have anything to do with this crisis ?

Have you not read Reigling and Watson and Paddy Honohan ?

While Cuts are needed, why were they not implemented earlier, and why was financial austerity not the order of the day for most of the last decade ?

You cant plausably spout such nonsense. In case you dont know, the FF PP have put thier hands up and accepted responsibility for the structural problems which exist, and have been artiuclate dby the experts. You are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

However i'm not here to play the blame game. We all need to put our shoulders to the wheel, cut out the complaining about NAMA (which is the only game in town) and cutbacks (no-one likes them but they are needed) and in no time we'll back to the good old days. Positive thinking lads.

:rolleyes: No one in FF wants to "play the blame game" because FF are to blame.

BTW, what - in your opinion - are "the good old days" ? The pre-boom sustainable ones or the sickening stroke-pulling, profiteering and gambling stoked and encouraged by your beloved party ?

As for blaming the global recession.......:rolleyes: Looks like you're not too gone on facts, trotting out that lie-through-your-teeth stock FF response.

I'll "put my shoulder to the wheel" when the outcome of my efforts are not being wasted on €81,000 "expenses" for your party members (not to mention the billions being wasted on your party's beloved Anglo), condoned and supported by Cowen & Co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

How do you talk down an economy exactly? Why dont we all just be positive then if its that easy? It doesnt work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I hope this guy keeps talking; I can just see an imaginary FF vote counter clicking down each time he's comes out with a reality-defying cliche (we are where we are, it was Lehman's and their testicles, we've turned a corner, NAMA is the only solution...)

P.

PS: I'm amused at the NUI Galway Fianna Fail official site:

http://www.ff.nuigalway.ie/

"Super Nintendo Chalmers" and Ralph from the Simpsons picking his nose - kinda sums up Government strategy really.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Lehman Brothers pissed all over that poster amiright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

goat2 wrote: »
    we were misleaded
    when we voted for ff we did not realise that the green party would be in fact making all the decisions, and running this country, right now they have run us into the ground

no jobs
    no money
    no turf
    next thing to go will be
    greyhound racing, horse racing, the best one to come will be
    no turkey for christmas

what does it matter
    there are a bunch of turkeys running this little island

lol

April 1st was over 3 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Ok Nuig, you've had your fun. I'm surprised so many fell for it and didn't realise you were just takin the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Too right you don't want to play the blame game cos we all know where the blame lies. And what exactly were 'the good old days' in your strange world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Do Fianna Fail send out handbooks with stock answers to all the branches or something...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Anything that was achieved was done so at way over the generous estimated cost and way behind it's due completion date.
    Plus, the people that talked up the property market were the real idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The only surprising thing about this guff is the fact that Lehman Brothers wasn't mentioned, I thought it was mandatory for these statements, non?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I for one am glad to see you back NUIG, your posts are highly entertaining in a moronic kind of way. It should be interesting to see how long you can hold out before you get yet another ban for trolling :D

Advertisement