Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The attitude of prison guards towards the public

• 06-06-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Ok I might get completely banned for writing this . But I have to put it up to see has anyone else had the same experiences ,. Prison guards !!!! Jesus some of them can be so ignorant . Now I'm not tarring every prison guard with the same brush as some of them are genuinely sound . But some have just a chip on their shoulder . I know they have a hard job and all that but I've met a few that would almost shock u with their ignorance and attitude towards the public , and by the public I mean outside visitors to a prison . Has anyone else had this experience ? Or is it just me who's trying my best to be polite to people who have no concept of it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

You couldn't pay me enough to be a prison guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

A little more detail wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If you stopped trashing your cell, you probably won't have a problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Fackin' screws. Ah fink the best fing a'do is feed 'em ta pigs. Go through bone laahk buttah. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I myself am a prison guard (in a Dublin Prison) and I have to sympathize with you on this. I've seen it a lot myself from 'senior' staff especially.

My opinion is that visitors have it tough enough as it is, visiting their loved ones in jail, without having to deal with abrupt or rude staff. It's not their fault that the person is locked up, yet some officers make judgements anyway. Shame on them.

For what it's worth, we are instructed by management to be cordial and professional to all visitors to our jail and I can honestly tell you that I always am. But yes, there is a rotten attitude among some of the old timers and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Hope it improves for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Colash wrote: »
    Ok I might get completely banned for writing this . But I have to put it up to see has anyone else had the same experiences ,. Prison guards !!!! Jesus some of them can be so ignorant . Now I'm not tarring every prison guard with the same brush as some of them are genuinely sound . But some have just a chip on their shoulder . I know they have a hard job and all that but I've met a few that would almost shock u with their ignorance and attitude towards the public , and by the public I mean outside visitors to a prison . Has anyone else had this experience ? Or is it just me who's trying my best to be polite to people who have no concept of it??

What did you do that landed you in prison?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Valetta wrote: »
    A little more detail wouldn't go astray.

Ok . U say hello to a prison guard ! They look the other way ..., u ask a prison guard if the visiting times are from a certain time to a certain time , they say "do u not know by now " .. U walk to an exit gate to be let out after a visit and a prison guard huffs at the top of their voice and says " Jesus not another one" .. U arrive at a prison after booking a visit and no evidence of the per booked visit in found , after u travelling 2 hours and your told " come back tomorrow " next please .. Are they trained to be so blunt and ignorant ?

What did you do that landed you in prison?

U obviously didn't read the thread . I visited a prison . I'm not a prisoner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

A Prison Guard is one of those public-facing jobs where I can excuse a bit of rudeness or ignorance.

The only experience I have with prison guards was on a TY school tour to Mountjoy where, when we were walking in the gate, one of the prison guards pointed at the shy kid in our class and said "Ooohhh, they'll keep him!".

He shat his way through the entire tour.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    I myself am a prison guard (in a Dublin Prison) and I have to sympathize with you on this. I've seen it a lot myself from 'senior' staff especially.

My opinion is that visitors have it tough enough as it is, visiting their loved ones in jail, without having to deal with abrupt or rude staff. It's not their fault that the person is locked up, yet some officers make judgements anyway. Shame on them.

For what it's worth, we are instructed by management to be cordial and professional to all visitors to our jail and I can honestly tell you that I always am. But yes, there is a rotten attitude among some of the old timers and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Hope it improves for you.

Thank u very much for this reply . And I'd shake your hand if I met u as u seem like one of the decent few I was referring to

humanji wrote: »
    If you stopped trashing your cell, you probably won't have a problem with them.

As a moderator I would have expected u to read my original post !! But then again it's the after hours section .. I'm not in prison ,,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Ok . U say hello to a prison guard ! They look the other way ..., u ask a prison guard if the visiting times are from a certain time to a certain time , they say "do u not know by now " .. U walk to an exit gate to be let out after a visit and a prison guard huffs at the top of their voice and says " Jesus not another one" .. U arrive at a prison after booking a visit and no evidence of the per booked visit in found , after u travelling 2 hours and your told " come back tomorrow " next please .. Are they trained to be so blunt and ignorant ?

It's a prison, not a bloody 5 star hotel. What do you expect?

As a moderator I would have expected u to read my original post !! But then again it's the after hours section .. I'm not in prison ,,.

Not yet, but you keep harassing mods like that and see what happens!

It's a prison, not a bloody 5 star hotel. What do you expect?

So saying hello and asking a question to a public servant is seen as excessive ???! Jesus Mary and Joseph has the county really come to this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You'll be off to prison here too if you don't start using the full keyboard and the guards there are real bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Seachmall wrote: »
    A Prison Guard is one of those public-facing jobs where I can excuse a bit of rudeness or ignorance.

The only experience I have with prison guards was on a TY school tour to Mountjoy where, when we were walking in the gate, one of the prison guards pointed at the shy kid in our class and said "Ooohhh, they'll keep him!".

He shat his way through the entire tour.

The shy kid .... it was you , wasn't it ?

Seachmall wrote: »
    Not yet, but you keep harassing mods like that and see what happens!

Harassing mods ? Ah lads c'mon .

mattjack wrote: »
    The shy kid .... it was you , wasn't it ?

I'm not shy, I'm a lone wolf!
    Harassing mods ? Ah lads c'mon .
    Hey now, no need to start on me. I'm just giving some friendly advice!

Roughian...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've done some volunteering work in prisons and found the staff to be mostly ok. Think after a while it erodes the soul. Would not do it for love nor money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I've done some volunteering work in prisons and found the staff to be mostly ok. Think after a while it erodes the soul. Would not do it for love nor money.

Very difficult to volunteer in prisons , the agency I work with only lets full time employees into prisons.
    Pretty impressive to get in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Very difficult to volunteer in prisons , the agency I work with only lets full time employees into prisons.

Yeah. I've worked in a couple of places like that... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Thank u very much for this reply . And I'd shake your hand if I met u as u seem like one of the decent few I was referring to

I don't understand. Your entire post reads grand, except you can't be bothered to type 'you'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I did read you rant and felt a quick quip was all it deserved. There's arseholes in every job that deals with the public. It's nothing new. Expecting everyone to treat everyone else with respect is asking a bit much from humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Yer, I can kinda understand, dealing with hardened criminals all day would probably erode your ability to put on a pleasant face for the public and on top of that I've heard of many prison guards getting a lot of crap from visitors - even threats against their families, lots of scum out there.

I don't do it directly for the prison service. I am with an organisation that run work shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Should this not be in the Prison Section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I wouldn't know, thankfully I've never had cause to visit a prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I can hardly get the gear outa me youngfellas nappie without dem annoying me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I visit prisons a lot, like all walks of life there are good and bad, to be honest the majority I have met are good. Was in a prison recently waiting in the waiting room to be processed through, women came into visit bf/husband she had her child with her, prison office had a chat with her about baby asking after the child and how was the person getting on very friendly and very polite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

When they work in a nasty environment, see nasty things and have to put up with a lot of sh!t from prisoners it's probably hard to be all cheerful and jolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I wouldn't know, thankfully I've never had cause to visit a prison.

La de dah. I have, it was fascinating. Incredible stories from my detained acquaintance. And I could talk all I wanted, captive audience and all that.

The officers were all very courteous and helpful. Even some of the other prisoners seemed very civil and generally sound. Which is crazy when you hear what they're in for.

I have another mate who's a prison officer in the same place. He's extremely witty, ignorant as hell at times and a genuinely brilliant raconteur of just bananas stories.

Very tough job. The things they see and deal with on a daily basis are well beyond most people's ken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Well, we must get onto our local TD's and write to them demanding that your prison visiting experience be improved. Those poor souls that are in there worked so hard to get there, and the prison officers too.

A complimentary glass of wine and foie gras on arrival perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

hes a cat mod. can get you places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Every day they have to look over their shoulders, they have to treat everybody equally, they cant trust anybody and their always on edge. Wouldnt blame them TBH

they are getting well payed in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Stop chipping holes in your wall behind a Rita Hayworth poster and you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I don't do it directly for the prison service. I am with an organisation that run work shops.
    In the past I did a good deal of work(practical skills rehab)with prisoners - I was an Instructor and got to train some really "interesting" characters, I was the one who got pushed forward to do those courses as I have quite a confident/well able to handle a class full of jack-the lads personality and get them to pay attention without running amok.

A couple of them were genuinely scary characters who I spent most of the time wondering wtf I would do if they did kick off as overpowering them was not going to be an option, happily, we all got along fine and I never once had an issue. I actually remember those times fondly and think I might just possibly have managed to do some good for some people who didn't really ever get much of a chance.
    I'd be fairly proud of having done it, warm fuzzy glow and all that jazz.

On topic, I never had an issue with prison staff either - some were a bit aloof alright, but most were genuinely helpful and did give a damn - but then I wasn't visiting a prisoner, I was working, so maybe they treated me differently. Most of the inmates struck me as bored stupid and glad of a chance to do somthing outside the routine.

In the past I did a good deal of work(practical skills rehab)with prisoners - I was an Instructor and got to train some really "interesting" characters, I was the one who got pushed forward to do those courses as I have quite a confident/well able to handle a class full of jack-the lads personality and get them to pay attention without running amok.

A couple of them were genuinely scary characters who I spent most of the time wondering wtf I would do if they did kick off as overpowering them was not going to be an option, happily, we all got along fine and I never once had an issue. I actually remember those times fondly and think I might just possibly have managed to do some good for some people who didn't really ever get much of a chance.
    I'd be fairly proud of having done it, warm fuzzy glow and all that jazz.

On topic, I never had an issue with prison staff either - some were a bit aloof alright, but most were genuinely helpful and did give a damn - but then I wasn't visiting a prisoner, I was working, so maybe they treated me differently. Most of the inmates struck me as bored stupid and glad of a chance to do somthing outside the routine.

The first time I went in was for a few days and honestly if you asked me how I felt about it upon finishing I could not have told you. It took a while to sink in.

I meet some amazing people who are victims of circumstance but still chose to live a certain lifestyle. Like you I have met scary people who I truly believe are in the right place and should be kept there for as long as possible. It really is an eye opener though and I thank my good fortune on how life has fallen for me so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

not a job id envy,but i frequent two bars in phibsborough where screws gather en masse and to be honest the op has a point,they come across as loud obnoxious ignorant fkers that view anybody with a local accent as potential scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

It's the same in all walks of life, You get dicks in all jobs. But I will say this the absoloute **** po's put up with is scary and I'd be amazed if most of the population stuck it to retirement. My old lad is one, his first day on a job before him and other new ones started a guy slashed his wrists so blood was everywhere, they were walked along the trail of blood. Two blokes packed it in there and then according to my old lad.

The money would seem great starting off don't get me wrong but at what point of physical and mental assault would the money stop being worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Well, we must get onto our local TD's and write to them demanding that your prison visiting experience be improved. Those poor souls that are in there worked so hard to get there, and the prison officers too.

A complimentary glass of wine and foie gras on arrival perhaps?

It's funny that Irish people will tut about how terrible conditions are in American prisons, but don't give a damn about conditions in Irish prisons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

goose2005 wrote: »
    It's funny that Irish people will tut about how terrible conditions are in American prisons, but don't give a damn about conditions in Irish prisons

If it makes you feel better, I don't care about conditions (for prisoners) in any prison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Ok I might get completely banned for writing this . But I have to put it up to see has anyone else had the same experiences ,. Prison guards !!!! ...
    I can only conclude that you watch too much telly. The Irish Prison Service doesn't employ "prison guards" but does employ prison officers.

I've visited incarcerated clients in prison and have met staff at all grades and levels in prisons and have never been treated or witnessed anything but the greatest courtesy and professionalism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

A lot of the people commenting on a negative level must be so content in the knowledge that they or someone they know will never be in prison.
    I for one don't know what's round the corner for me or mine but I would hope that whoever I or they encounter would at least be courteous.
    Perhaps one silly mistake led them there, who in here can say hand on heart they have never made a silly decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭DubiousV

they are getting well payed in fairness
    By comparison to what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH response - sure that's what they all say. I'm sure you didn't do the crime either winkwink

On topic, when you spend your days working with hardened criminals and people that possibly would stab you given half a chance it tends to bring out the worst in people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭club goldgrain

caustic 1 wrote: »
    A lot of the people commenting on a negative level must be so content in the knowledge that they or someone they know will never be in prison.
    I for one don't know what's round the corner for me or mine but I would hope that whoever I or they encounter would at least be courteous.
    Perhaps one silly mistake led them there, who in here can say hand on heart they have never made a silly decision?

it's only by mistakes that we learn.
    and i for one have made many,never been in prison but know someone who was because of a silly mistake. so i agree we don't know whats around the corner for any of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Omackeral wrote: »

surely this works both ways, for every unhelpful officer, im sure theres plenty of ignorant prisoners and visitors in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

DubiousV wrote: »
    By comparison to what?

To the average person who's only education is a **** leaving cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭DubiousV

To the average person who's only education is a **** leaving cert.
    Since 2007 new entrants to the prison service are required to attain a higher certificate in order to stay in the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement