Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked landlord to remove sofa

Options
  • 19-03-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi just looking for advice here is there any laws or problems with asking a landlord to remove some large items sofa matress table stuff like that?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What's the context?

i.e. if you've just moved in and you have your own stuff, there shouldn't be an issue (except if owner has nowhere to store it).

Or is it stuff that has been in situ but now you don't want it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭deadwood85

pinkypinky wrote: »
    What's the context?

i.e. if you've just moved in and you have your own stuff, there shouldn't be an issue (except if owner has nowhere to store it).

Or is it stuff that has been in situ but now you don't want it?

Just moved in this week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

No law or problem to ask! You can always ask, if your landlord has no place to store them then there may be an issue.

No law or problem to ask! You can always ask, if your landlord has no place to store them then there may be an issue.
    If he has no place to store what options would I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

as others have said there is no law that the LL has to remove anything. You can ask and he can equally say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

deadwood85 wrote: »

Is it that the items are in bad order?

To be honest given you've moved in and I assume have signed a lease you have already agreed that you're happy to pay the rent for what you have.

You could pay for them to be stored but maybe your landlord would do that too. You won't know until you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

deadwood85 wrote: »

pay to have them taken away and held in storage and then pay for them to be returned to the property when your moving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

D3PO wrote: »

pay to have them taken away and held in storage and then pay for them to be returned to the property when your moving out.
    That's it really. You should have negotiated this before signing the lease. He is under no obligation whatsoever to remove the furniture unless it is unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

That's it really. You should have negotiated this before signing the lease. He is under no obligation whatsoever to remove the furniture unless it is unsafe.

Or in a condition not fit for purpose.

Should have agreed pre lease signing, however, ask him/her, they could be delighted if they need the stuff for another property.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Similar question asked here recently enough:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056844615

As above, he has no obligation to remove any furniture in the apartment. He may also not be amenable to the tenant paying to have it moved into storage as the sofa could be damaged either while moving it or while in the storage facility.

If he refuses to move it out of the apartment your only option is to put it out of the way - into a spare room or whatever.

• Advertisement

thanks for the input got it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I had a similar problem. As the items were not on my lease the agency agreed to pass them on to the LL. I think they knew there was no recourse if I sold them so were happy to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I had a similar problem. As the items were on my lease the agency agreed to pass them on to the LL. I think they knew there was no recourse if I sold them so were happy to take them.

Im not sure why you would think that there would be no recourse if you sold them? If an item is on the lease is damaged/missing when you move out then you are liable for repair/replacement, and it will be taken out of your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

djimi wrote: »
    Im not sure why you would think that there would be no recourse if you sold them? If an item is on the lease is damaged/missing when you move out then you are liable for repair/replacement, and it will be taken out of your deposit.

Sorry that should have read not on the lease.

Advertisement