Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees for water connections in Donegal?

Options
  • 12-11-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭

Could I get a general breakdown of connection and development contribution fees for a standard domestic water connection for a new house in rural Donegal. Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 485 Verified rep Irish Water: Allanah

Hi muffler,

Thanks for getting in touch and apologies for the delay.

We have contacted the relevant department about your query and will contact you once there is any update on this.

Thanks for your patience.

Kind regards,
    Allanah

Hi muffler,

We have received an update from the connections department who have advised that if you have an application, we can provide a breakdown of costs to you through private mail. We would require the following details:

- Name;
    - Account number; and
    - Connection address.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide a general breakdown as the fee is dependent on numerous factors i.e. the size of the connection and the distance from the mains.

Please feel free to send through your details and we can assist you further with this matter.

Kind regards,
    Allanah

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi Allanah,

Thanks for the response although its not what I was looking for though.

I am involved in the planning/architectural and construction business and I have been asked a few times by clients what the water connection fees and development contributions will be. Sometimes they have a choice of sites, sometimes they are divided on what size of a house they should plan for but in each scenario all projected costs must be included in the budget.

Pre "Irish Water" we were all aware of the charges levied by the local authorities so I can see no reason as to why we cant get a basic breakdown now. Its hardly a breach of national security.

So if we take an average rural site with mains water along road frontage (either near or opposite side of road) and the clients are proposing to build a 190 sq. metre house and use a standard connection can you give me a breakdown of associated charges please?

Also does the size of the house have a bearing and if so can I have a breakdown of how the charges are levied please?

Any update on this please?

Thanks.

Hi muffler,

Thank you for your patience whilst we investigated this matter.

As you are aware, Irish Water has been responsible for the provision of water services since January 2014. As of this date, and with the approval of the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER), Irish Water has been applying Interim New Connection Charges in the form of (i) Works Fees; and (ii) Infrastructure Fees; and (iii) Supplemental Fees (where applicable). These fees are the equivalent of (i) Connection Fees; and (ii) that portion of Development Levies which the Local Authorities (LAs) were formerly entitled to charge for water and/or waste water infrastructure; and (iii) Supplemental development contribution schemes respectively.

The previous Local Authority Connection Fee is now called a Works Fee and the previous Local Authority Development Levy (for water or waste water connections) is now called an Infrastructure Fee. Both these fees are now charged by Irish Water as they were charged in the Local Authorities on the 31st of December 2013. Please note that these charges and the calculation of these charges differ from one Local Authority to the next.

During the interim period (until the CER approves an enduring Connection Policy), Irish Water charges customers in accordance with the CER approved 'Water Charges Plan'. Sections 21 and 22 of the Water Services Act (No. 2) 2013 sets out that Irish Water shall charge customers as calculated in accordance with the approved Water Charges Plan. The current Water Charges Plan states (at Section 6) that in relation to new connections, Irish Water is entitled to charge an amount 'equivalent to the water and Wastewater related development levies which the Local Authorities were formerly entitled to charge'.

In regards to the connection charges for the water and wastewater connection with both mains running along the road frontage located within the County Donegal, an estimated connection charge of E2,825.95 is appropriate, assuming no additional works. Again, these charges are based on what Donegal County Council would have charged as of 31 December 2013. The breakdown of these charges would be:

1) Works Fees: E570.00 (minimum standard charge)
    - Water Connection: E285.00 (minimum standard charge). Additional charges may apply on a case by case basis.
    - Wastewater Connection: E285.00 (minimum standard charge). Additional charges may apply on a case by case basis.

2) Infrastructure Fee (Water only): E2,255.95
    - Floor Area = 190m2
    - Residential Infrastructure Fee – Water Services (House/Apt over 160m2 - 200m2) = E1,877.37
    - Residential Infrastructure Fee – Wastewater Services (House/Apt over 160m2 - 200m2) = E378.58

3) Total Connection Charge (Water only): E6,964.20
    Connection Works Fees in Co. Donegal are generally calculated on a case by case basis, incorporating a standard minimum charge. In regards to Infrastructure Fees, below is a table outlining the Infrastructure Fees for Water and Wastewater Services for residential developments in County Donegal. These fees are based on the Donegal County Council Development Contribution Scheme in place on 31st December 2016 and have been indexed accordingly:

House/Apt 160m2 or less: Water: E1,877.37 Waste:E124.46
    House/Apt over 160m2 - 200m2: Water: E1,877.37 Waste: E378.58
    House/Apt over 200m2: Water: E2,613.79 Waste: E378.58
    Holiday Home/Apt: Water: E3,044.24 Waste: E378.58
    Holiday Home/Apt (5 or more): Water: E1,903.30 Waste: E378.58
    Caravan/ Mobile Homes: Water: E1,037.22 Waste: E0.00

Specific connection charges should not be assumed on the basis of the information in this response, Irish Water will confirm the cost of a connection on a case by case basis in line with the LA development scheme in effect on 31st Dec 2013.

I trust that the above answers your query. Should you wish further clarification on this information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Allanah

• Advertisement

Thanks very much Allanah. Thats exactly what I was looking for as it will be most beneficial when preparing provisional costings.

Much appreciated :)

Hi muffler,

You're more than welcome, we are happy to be able to help.

If you have any future queries, please feel free to contact us again.

Kind regards,
    Allanah

Hi Allanah,

I had a fleeting glance at your earlier reply outlining the charges and I fully understand that the figures given are base charges and that each particular case will / could be treated differently depending on circumstances. However, having read it again in a little more detail I am struggling to understand the figure of €6964.20 listed at point 3.

Items 1 and 2 are obvious but item 3 seems to be either wrong or else there is an additional levy over and above what the local authority would have charged in the past and indeed taking into account their new scheme which kicks in at the end of the current year.

I would appreciate it if you could explain the figure at item 3.

Thanks.

Hi muffler,

Thanks for highlighting that.

There was a typographical error in the response above. Item three should read as the sum of items one and two. The figure should read E2825.95.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
    Allanah

No problem Allanah.

Im just happy that the figure was a total of items 1 and 2 and not something else. :)

• Advertisement

Hi muffler,

Please don't hesitate to get in touch again if there is anything else you would like further clarification on.

Kind regards,
    Allanah

Hi muffler,

Thank you for your patience whilst we investigated this matter.

As you are aware, Irish Water has been responsible for the provision of water services since January 2014. As of this date, and with the approval of the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER), Irish Water has been applying Interim New Connection Charges in the form of (i) Works Fees; and (ii) Infrastructure Fees; and (iii) Supplemental Fees (where applicable). These fees are the equivalent of (i) Connection Fees; and (ii) that portion of Development Levies which the Local Authorities (LAs) were formerly entitled to charge for water and/or waste water infrastructure; and (iii) Supplemental development contribution schemes respectively.

The previous Local Authority Connection Fee is now called a Works Fee and the previous Local Authority Development Levy (for water or waste water connections) is now called an Infrastructure Fee. Both these fees are now charged by Irish Water as they were charged in the Local Authorities on the 31st of December 2013. Please note that these charges and the calculation of these charges differ from one Local Authority to the next.

During the interim period (until the CER approves an enduring Connection Policy), Irish Water charges customers in accordance with the CER approved 'Water Charges Plan'. Sections 21 and 22 of the Water Services Act (No. 2) 2013 sets out that Irish Water shall charge customers as calculated in accordance with the approved Water Charges Plan. The current Water Charges Plan states (at Section 6) that in relation to new connections, Irish Water is entitled to charge an amount 'equivalent to the water and Wastewater related development levies which the Local Authorities were formerly entitled to charge'.

In regards to the connection charges for the water and wastewater connection with both mains running along the road frontage located within the County Donegal, an estimated connection charge of E2,825.95 is appropriate, assuming no additional works. Again, these charges are based on what Donegal County Council would have charged as of 31 December 2013. The breakdown of these charges would be:

1) Works Fees: E570.00 (minimum standard charge)
    - Water Connection: E285.00 (minimum standard charge). Additional charges may apply on a case by case basis.
    - Wastewater Connection: E285.00 (minimum standard charge). Additional charges may apply on a case by case basis.

2) Infrastructure Fee (Water only): E2,255.95
    - Floor Area = 190m2
    - Residential Infrastructure Fee – Water Services (House/Apt over 160m2 - 200m2) = E1,877.37
    - Residential Infrastructure Fee – Wastewater Services (House/Apt over 160m2 - 200m2) = E378.58

3) Total Connection Charge (Water only): E6,964.20
    Connection Works Fees in Co. Donegal are generally calculated on a case by case basis, incorporating a standard minimum charge. In regards to Infrastructure Fees, below is a table outlining the Infrastructure Fees for Water and Wastewater Services for residential developments in County Donegal. These fees are based on the Donegal County Council Development Contribution Scheme in place on 31st December 2016 and have been indexed accordingly:

House/Apt 160m2 or less: Water: E1,877.37 Waste:E124.46
    House/Apt over 160m2 - 200m2: Water: E1,877.37 Waste: E378.58
    House/Apt over 200m2: Water: E2,613.79 Waste: E378.58
    Holiday Home/Apt: Water: E3,044.24 Waste: E378.58
    Holiday Home/Apt (5 or more): Water: E1,903.30 Waste: E378.58
    Caravan/ Mobile Homes: Water: E1,037.22 Waste: E0.00

Specific connection charges should not be assumed on the basis of the information in this response, Irish Water will confirm the cost of a connection on a case by case basis in line with the LA development scheme in effect on 31st Dec 2013.

I trust that the above answers your query. Should you wish further clarification on this information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Allanah
    Hi muffler,

Thanks for highlighting that.

There was a typographical error in the response above. Item three should read as the sum of items one and two. The figure should read E2825.95.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
    Allanah
    Apologies for bumping an old(ish) thread but as Donegal County Council have now changed their Development Contribution scheme does Iris Water follow suit? 

I am referring specifically to the house size. Previously there were 3 categories
    up to 160m2, 160 - 200m2 and over 200m2. However the current contribution scheme has just 2 categories i.e. up to 199m2 and 200m2 +. 

Does Irish Water now apply contributions based on the current Donegal County Council development scheme which came into force on 10/10/2016?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Irish Water: Mairead

Hi muffler,

We are currently following up with the relevant department regarding this and will supply you with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Mairead

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi,

Could I get a similar breakdown of charges (Post #6) for Roscommon but for a house over 2500 sq ft? I speaking to someone in the call centre last week but he seemed confused by the question.

Many thanks,

Hi Mac0783,
    Mac0783 wrote: »
    Hi,

Could I get a similar breakdown of charges (Post #6) for Roscommon but for a house over 2500 sq ft? I speaking to someone in the call centre last week but he seemed confused by the question.

Many thanks,
    Thanks for your query.

We are following up with the relevant department on your behalf and will be in touch with an update as soon as we can.

Thanks,
    Mairead

Hi Mac0783,
    Hi,

Many thanks,
    Thanks for your query.

We are following up with the relevant department on your behalf and will be in touch with an update as soon as we can.

Thanks,
    Mairead
    Hi Any update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Irish Water: Micheal

Hi Mac0783,
    Hi,

Many thanks,
    Thanks for your query.

Thanks,
    Mairead
    Hi Any update?
    Hi Mac0783,

I have requested an update from our relevant department and we will make contact with you again once a response is received.

Thanks for your patience.

Kind regards,
    Micheal

Any details available yet please?

Hi Muffler,

Thanks for your message.

I will contact our New Connections department requesting an update and will contact you as soon as possible

Thanks again for your patience.

Kind regards,
    Micheal

Hi, I was wondering if there's any update on my query from the 15th June?

• Advertisement

Hi Mac0783,
    We're very sorry for the delay.

We're currently waiting on an update from the relevant department in order to provide you with the most up to date information.

Thanks,
    Mairead

muffler wrote: »
    Apologies for bumping an old(ish) thread but as Donegal County Council have now changed their Development Contribution scheme does Iris Water follow suit? 

I am referring specifically to the house size. Previously there were 3 categories
    up to 160m2, 160 - 200m2 and over 200m2. However the current contribution scheme has just 2 categories i.e. up to 199m2 and 200m2 +. 

Does Irish Water now apply contributions based on the current Donegal County Council development scheme which came into force on 10/10/2016?
    15 days since I asked a very simple question yet you seem either unable or unwilling to answer it.

What a joke and a complete waste of tax payers money having people here who couldn't be arsed to do the job they're getting paid to do and that is to provide information to the public when they request it.

I'll fire off an email to the local TDs and link them to this thread and ask them to provide not only the answer to my query but also request an explanation as to why the reps here have refused to provide the data sought.

No need for any further response.

Hi Muffler,

Thanks for your message.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience, I will contact our relevant department requesting an update and I will be back in contact with a reply to your query.

Kind regards,
    Micheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Irish Water: Siobhan

Hi,
    muffler wrote: »
    Any details available yet please?
    Irish Water has been responsible for the provision of water services since January 2014. As of this date, and with the approval of the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER), Irish Water has been applying Interim New Connection Charges in the form of (i) Works Fees; and (ii) Infrastructure Fees; and (iii) Supplemental Fees (where applicable). These fees are the equivalent of (i) Connection Fees; and (ii) that portion of Development Levies which the Local Authorities (LAs) were formerly entitled to charge for water and/or waste water infrastructure; and (iii) Supplemental development contribution schemes respectively.

The previous Local Authority Connection Fee is now called a Works Fee and the previous Local Authority Development Levy (for water or waste water connections) is now called an Infrastructure Fee. Both these fees are now charged by Irish Water as they were charged in the Local Authorities on the 31st of December 2013.

Irish Water is reviewing the connection charging arrangements and is in discussion with the CER on this matter.  We expect that the CER will hold a public consultation on the matter once Irish Water has finalised its submission. We expect that this process will lead to an Enduring New Connection Charges regime to apply nationally from a designated date in the future, thereby replacing the current Interim New Connection Charges.

During the interim period (until the CER approves an enduring Connection Policy), Irish Water charges customers in accordance with the CER approved “Water Charges Planâ€. Sections 21 and 22 of the Water Services Act (No. 2) 2013 sets out that Irish Water shall charge customers as calculated in accordance with the approved Water Charges Plan. The current Water Charges Plan states (at Section 6) that in relation to new connections, Irish Water is entitled to charge an amount 'equivalent to the water and Wastewater related development levies which the Local Authorities were formerly entitled to charge'.

To summarise Irish Water apply the development contribution scheme regarding the provision for water & wastewater rates as per 31/12/2013 until a enduring policy is established in early 2018.

Thanks,
    Siobhan

Thanks for that Siobhan, unfortunately it in no way answers the question I asked.  What I asked was, what was the water and wastewater related development levies that Roscommon Co. Co. charged in 2013? I'd appreciate if you could provide details of same.

thanks,
    Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Irish Water: Siobhan

Thanks for that Siobhan, unfortunately it in no way answers the question I asked.  What I asked was, what was the water and wastewater related development levies that Roscommon Co. Co. charged in 2013? I'd appreciate if you could provide details of same.

thanks,
    Mac
    Hi Mac0783,

Please see the below with regard to your query:

From the Revised Development Contributions Scheme 2008 under Section 48 of the Planning & Development Acts 2000-2007.

Having regard to the estimated cost to the Council of providing further public infrastructure and facilities in the period 2008 to 2014 and the estimated floor area of projected development for the same period, it is estimated that a contribution of 8,000 euros per residential unit and 26.00 euros per m2 of industrial/commercial development would be required to cover the marginal capital cost involved.

This breakdown of the contribution with regard to water and wastewater facilities is as follows:

Water Facilities Including:
    Contribution to Small Schemes Programme
    Small Public Schemes DBP Contribution
    Future Domestic Demand not otherwise funded

Euros per Residential Unit: 1600
    Euros per m2 industrial/commercial development: Nil

Wastewater Facilities Including:
    Contribution to Small Schemes Programme
    Small Public Schemes DBO Contribution
    Future Domestic Demand not otherwise funded

Euros per Residential Unit: 2000
    Euros per m2 industrial/commercial development: Nil

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Thanks,
    Siobhan

Advertisement