Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

singars radio

Options
  • 09-08-2012 7:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi , would it be possible to buy or get a used singars radio set up somewhere , rekon it would would great in my car for drivin around .
    doesnt have to be working as long as it looks good.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

an AN PRC 119 ??

Not for anything less than 6 or 700 euro im sure, they cost around 10 grand each back in 1998?

im not sure what the regulations are about owning such devices (if any) as they are still the main comms device in use by the DF.

however if you check ebay you will find 77 vietnam era sets and components and possibly shells of the newer versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Morphéus wrote: »
    an AN PRC 119 ??

Not for anything less than 6 or 700 euro im sure, they cost around 1- grand each back in 1998?

im not sure what the regulations are about owning such devices (if any) as they are still the main comms device in use by the DF.

however if you check ebay you will find 77 vietnam era sets and components and possibly shells of the newer versions.

We paid a lot more than a grand for each radio when we bought them - the U.S. bought 246,845 of them and paid $13,000 apiece all-in, so god knows what we paid for them. I would imagine they came with plenty of EOL conditions too, and seeing as JTRS was cancelled and SINCGARS is still the main ground forces radio for the Yanks, I think they would be very upset with units being sold, no matter what crypto they had. That said, I'd say there's a fair few Iraqi SINCGARs floating around the black market, but I'd expect to pay more for one than your car is worth.

As for the OP, try the airsoft forum - they seem to have replicas of everything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Thats supposed to be ten grand! I pressed the "-" instead of "0".. fat fingers. will fix now.

Ya dont happen to plan to stick it in the back of a green Patrol GR or Pajero by any chance!??!?!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

In short, no you cannot buy them from somewhere just to have in your car.

There are restrictions about which countries the DF are even allowed to permit to see them never mind use them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Why don't you paint a cornflakes box green, stick a calculator to the front of it and stick it on your dashboard.

There's a good boy.

Make sure you have an adult present if you are using scissors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You can get airfix type models of the half size, known as ASIP every where else.

Advertisement