Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone get called to do their BARB test recently?

• 15-06-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering did anyone get called up for their BARB test or their application pushed onwards after the report came out on BAF redunancies/down sizing by 20,000 troops.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Hi All,

Just wondering did anyone get called up for their BARB test or their application pushed onwards after the report came out on BAF redunancies/down sizing by 20,000 troops.

Any idea how these cuts will affect recruitment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Well Shakin you up late :D. I don't know to be honest. I thought it would cause I applied in March and heard nothing till this week. The report came out on the 12th and I got a call the 13th for to see when I could go to the BARB test. Olny thing I can think of is that there is alot of older soliders that may be near or a few years off retirement and they might take redunancy but even if 20,000 do go for it I still don't see how they can go on recruiting if they want the numbers down to 82,000. Bear in mind they want numbers down by 2020 but they are letting people go right now. Its on the army website on the home page, article on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭delta-boy

Had mine on Monday, got 54 :D

54? You did the 5 barbs and got 20 on each? plus the literacy and numercy test? What were they like to deal with? Any pressure in the interview or really easy going?

54? You did the 5 barbs and got 20 on each? plus the literacy and numercy test? What were they like to deal with? Any pressure in the interview or really easy going?

Hi,

Not sure but all I know is that all jobs are open to you if you get above 60, par some in signals and military intelligence I was told because I am an Irish Citizen. I got level 2 on both my numeracy and literacy.

This has been my 3rd visit do although it was quite relaxed the way I spoke and the informal mannerisms when I go for my pre-adsc and interviews in 4 weeks it's going to be a lot more like a Jon interview, I even have to watch how I speak regarding my Dublin accent.

The careers advisers are two gents and obviously I'm not gonna mention for security reasons. Medical forms are being posted in the morning. :)

• Advertisement

delta-boy wrote: »
    Hi,

Not sure but all I know is that all jobs are open to you if you get above 60, par some in signals and military intelligence I was told because I am an Irish Citizen. I got level 2 on both my numeracy and literacy.

This has been my 3rd visit do although it was quite relaxed the way I spoke and the informal mannerisms when I go for my pre-adsc and interviews in 4 weeks it's going to be a lot more like a Jon interview, I even have to watch how I speak regarding my Dublin accent.

The careers advisers are two gents and obviously I'm not gonna mention for security reasons. Medical forms are being posted in the morning. :)

I went for mine yesterday and got 53 on the BARB and entry level 3 on the literacy :o and level 1 on the numeracy. That was only my 1st visit but he gave me the medical forms to take away. Got them filled out today just waiting to speak to my old doctor about the vacination part of it to see what i got and what I haven't. There is a pre-adsc? what does that consist of? As far as im aware i'll get called back for my 2nd interview with a senior recruiter, talk about my life and then if he or she is happy i'll for to ADSC. Thats as far as I know it wasn't explained to me what will happen next. Was just told to send back medical forms asap and it will take about 3 or 4 weeks before I hear anything back.

Hi,

I went for mine yesterday and got 53 on the BARB and entry level 3 on the literacy :o and level 1 on the numeracy. That was only my 1st visit but he gave me the medical forms to take away. Got them filled out today just waiting to speak to my old doctor about the vacination part of it to see what i got and what I haven't. There is a pre-adsc? what does that consist of? As far as im aware i'll get called back for my 2nd interview with a senior recruiter, talk about my life and then if he or she is happy i'll for to ADSC. Thats as far as I know it wasn't explained to me what will happen next. Was just told to send back medical forms asap and it will take about 3 or 4 weeks before I hear anything back.

Hi, I actually posted my medical forms off without my vaccine history :/ hope it doesn't defer me because my clinic and GP doesn't have my vaccination records before 2002 :0

Yeah same with me I have Pre-ADSC in 3/4 weeks to, basically it consists of us travelling to ACIO Portadown in the morning, a 800meter slow warmup and then best effort 1.5 mile run, a 150m Kerry can carry (20kg each) and a ice breaker confidence talk. I was told it was over by mid afternoon.

Next step then is a very formal interview, 2 of them in one day, one with your careers adviser and the second with an officer of our recruiting station.

Then it's ADSC in Belfast for 3 days, more runs/fitness/team tasks/gym test/ interviews. Then off to PRAC for me and (hopefully) depot.

What is your 1st choice job wise man :)?

Hi, I actually posted my medical forms off without my vaccine history :/ hope it doesn't defer me because my clinic and GP doesn't have my vaccination records before 2002 :0

Yeah same with me I have Pre-ADSC in 3/4 weeks to, basically it consists of us travelling to ACIO Portadown in the morning, a 800meter slow warmup and then best effort 1.5 mile run, a 150m Kerry can carry (20kg each) and a ice breaker confidence talk. I was told it was over by mid afternoon.

Next step then is a very formal interview, 2 of them in one day, one with your careers adviser and the second with an officer of our recruiting station.

Then it's ADSC in Belfast for 3 days, more runs/fitness/team tasks/gym test/ interviews. Then off to PRAC for me and (hopefully) depot.

Who were you dealing with in Portadown? I wasn't told any of this when I met mine yesterday. He just told me to get my run time down to 9.30 that was as it. So you got told when your going for the Pre-ADSC and that it would be in 3/4 weeks time that they would let you know?

You have the 2 interviews in portadown too?

My 1st choice was RIR and thats what he put on the system. If im good enough and selected and pushed to go for the Para's I will. He gave a me a list of jobs to look up and see if any of them interest me. They are all combat roles I think but there is stuff like logistics and tank crewman in there too.

Who were you dealing with in Portadown? I wasn't told any of this when I met mine yesterday. He just told me to get my run time down to 9.30 that was as it. So you got told when your going for the Pre-ADSC and that it would be in 3/4 weeks time that they would let you know?

You have the 2 interviews in portadown too?

My 1st choice was RIR and thats what he put on the system. If im good enough and selected and pushed to go for the Para's I will. He gave a me a list of jobs to look up and see if any of them interest me. They are all combat roles I think but there is stuff like logistics and tank crewman in there too.

Not gonna name names as its quite silly to do but if he was RIR same person, I have paras as no.1 and RIR no. 2, what's your run time like and same I got 42 jobs and some others I was qualified to do from my BARB score were ruled out because I do t have a Leaving Cert.

Not gonna name names as its quite silly to do but if he was RIR same person, I have paras as no.1 and RIR no. 2, what's your run time like and same I got 42 jobs and some others I was qualified to do from my BARB score were ruled out because I do t have a Leaving Cert.

Yes he is RIR. I haven't run the 1.5 mile in a timed run the last while i've been concentrating on doing longer runs like 6 and 7k.I ws doing them in 10.30 and 10.40. Did he tell you when the start date might be. I see from the sheet there will be an intake of 43to the Para's in sept.

Can't believe I wasn't told about the Pre-adsc :mad:.

• Advertisement

Yeah I heard about the September intake and October intake for paras, my goal is to start a training platoon in September. *touch wood*

Ahh you'll get your time down, the thing that worked for me was intervals, say, twice a week, jog the length of a football pitch, sprint the width, repeat 5x times. Build it up etc... so you could do 10 of them.

Hillsprints, hillsprints, hillsprints, I'm both gifted (and cursed) at the same time having a nice steep 200m long hill near my gaf.

Let me know how you get on with the pre-selection and what you did there. you got the 2 interviews in portadown the same day too? Im going to call them monday with a query about the medical form but i'll ask whats the next stage. Been reading up on it and not everyone does the pre-adsc. Will see what happens :confused:.

Let me know how you get on with the pre-selection and what you did there. you got the 2 interviews in portadown the same day too? Im going to call them monday with a query about the medical form but i'll ask whats the next stage. Been reading up on it and not everyone does the pre-adsc. Will see what happens :confused:.

No I'll prob have the interviews the week after Pre-ADSC, and yes mate everyone does it. Its compulsory to show your careers adviser that you have what it takes to attend selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Best of luck lads. I did my ADSC back in 2010, and after that I attended the Pre-Phase 1 training in the 2 RIFLES base (don't name it) for 10 days. It's a course to make sure you're ready for basic training in Pirbright or Catterick. Try get on to it, I found it harder than phase 1 training, it's well worth being prepped for the worst.

is the adsc in belfast for specific jobs or everyone applying from the republic?

Thanks Discus, Bit of a push for me to go on a 10 day training course without actually being enlisted 1st cause of work and that but I see where your coming from and its a great Idea. Your based in the north I take it? I was thinking of the Rifles cause id be based in the north and my home is in the south (you can see why id want to be based up north), but it just doesn't appeal to me for Some reason. I went out for my jog/run this morning and I got my 2.4k in 9.17 seconds which I find hard to believe I did it that fast but I had to stop half way through cause I took off like a bullet when left the house then at more than half way i was dead :o.

shakin wrote: »
    is the adsc in belfast for specific jobs or everyone applying from the republic?

Don't know Shakin, id say it for everyone applying from the Republic cause its only the fitness aspect of it and teamwork. You wouldn't need to travel to the UK just for them I wouldn't think but don't quote me on it. You driving up to pre-adsc or getting train up Shakin?

Don't know Shakin, id say it for everyone applying from the Republic cause its only the fitness aspect of it and teamwork. You wouldn't need to travel to the UK just for them I wouldn't think but don't quote me on it. You driving up to pre-adsc or getting train up Shakin?

I still have to do my barbs and my run times arent what they should be yet. Train from dublin is handy, just buy online-cheaper :)

Oh Yeah forgot you still have to do barbs. Yeah I got thr train when I went up for mine, was 25 euro return from Connolly on Monday but I didn't book till tuesday and they went up by 5 to 30 return :mad:. Still dearer than the bus but I don't have to change over in banbridge to go to portadown so prob works out the same. Man stick at the running. I never did running before this march but I did cycle alot so my cardio wasn't the worst.

When I started I was at 12.30 then down to 10.30 in a matter of a few weeks. Then today I ran then jogged as hard as I could and I got 9.17. Try for a 1 way 1.5 mile if you can cause stopping and going back and forth costs valuable seconds. Bear in mind I don't run half as often as I should.

shakin wrote: »

I still have to do my barbs and my run times arent what they should be yet. Train from dublin is handy, just buy online-cheaper :)

Basically ACIO Portadown/Coleraine/Enniskillen/Belfast do their own Pre-ADSC in their own respective barracks. From there, all potential soldiers from the island of Ireland as a whole attend ADSC Belfast - which is in Palace Barracks.

There is 4 ADSC centres across the UK. Thanks Discus my mate who recently has been posted to a Battalion told me before he started ITC he did a 10 day course with 2RIFLES at B-K. I did my school work experience there haha. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Thanks Discus, Bit of a push for me to go on a 10 day training course without actually being enlisted 1st cause of work and that but I see where your coming from and its a great Idea. Your based in the north I take it? I was thinking of the Rifles cause id be based in the north and my home is in the south (you can see why id want to be based up north), but it just doesn't appeal to me for Some reason. I went out for my jog/run this morning and I got my 2.4k in 9.17 seconds which I find hard to believe I did it that fast but I had to stop half way through cause I took off like a bullet when left the house then at more than half way i was dead :o.

I'm not based in the north, and I don't want to go there either. The course is not optional, a lot of guys were told to do this or they're not going to phase 1! 9.17 is pretty good. Don't forget to smash push ups, sit ups, pull ups, squat jumps etc. It's all fitness at the end of the day, and your 1.5 miler comes after your push up test and sit up test.

Apologies for the mix up with where your based. Yeah today I did situps and pull ups before going out on my run and did it in less time than yesterday but tomorrow im going to go a little bit further as in 2.5k and get in done in under the 9.30 cause don't know if when your doin the run do they stop you right at the 2.4k mark or keep going till you nearly at 2.5. I know its only an extra 0.1k but can make a difference if your fcuked.

Apologies for the mix up with where your based. Yeah today I did situps and pull ups before going out on my run and did it in less time than yesterday but tomorrow im going to go a little bit further as in 2.5k and get in done in under the 9.30 cause don't know if when your doin the run do they stop you right at the 2.4k mark or keep going till you nearly at 2.5. I know its only an extra 0.1k but can make a difference if your fcuked.

Mate, dont just be running 2.4km (1.5 mile), there is a slow 800 meter warm up by the way before the actual run aswell.
    I'd get a training routine done up, their is quite a good one here for potential para's off the army jobs website.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.army.mod.uk%2Fdocuments%2Fgeneral%2F6_WEEK_ADSC_TRAINING_PROGRAMME_2011.doc&ei=twPnT8KyFceDhQexpZDbCQ&usg=AFQjCNE17CDcw9pzmONvUrLl33dHc0hsNw

Forgot about the warm up :eek:. Thats not included in your time is it? Il be honest im not going for the Para's now I really really doubt id have the stamina to do what they do on youtube. Id love to think I could do it but as it stands now im ok fit but not as much as id need to be. Decided il def go for RIR and if I don't get in then I don't get in. Id love to no doubt about it but I can only give my best and if thats not good enough then im not meant to be there.

I know the above may sound like Im not training for it but I am, just at my own pace.

Forgot about the warm up :eek:. Thats not included in your time is it? Il be honest im not going for the Para's now I really really doubt id have the stamina to do what they do on youtube. Id love to think I could do it but as it stands now im ok fit but not as much as id need to be. Decided il def go for RIR and if I don't get in then I don't get in. Id love to no doubt about it but I can only give my best and if thats not good enough then im not meant to be there.

I know the above may sound like Im not training for it but I am, just at my own pace.

Fair play then man, and goodluck and have that run time down, my recruiter told me that RIR were only taking the best and spaces are limited. You can do it! :)

Fair play then man, and goodluck and have that run time down, my recruiter told me that RIR were only taking the best and spaces are limited. You can do it! :)

He told me the same thing :). Hence why he also told me to get my run time down to 9.30 or better. When you think of it you could qualify for the Para's too with that run time but at least in the RIR your stil part of the 16 air assualt team and can go for your wings if your good enough, as far as I know but without being a Para. Any idea what they do for selection for the RIR or is just the usual pushups, situps, pullups and run, plus the weight and gym tests? But you have to do really good at them?

He told me the same thing :). Hence why he also told me to get my run time down to 9.30 or better. When you think of it you could qualify for the Para's too with that run time but at least in the RIR your stil part of the 16 air assualt team and can go for your wings if your good enough, as far as I know but without being a Para. Any idea what they do for selection for the RIR or is just the usual pushups, situps, pullups and run, plus the weight and gym tests? But you have to do really good at them?

As far as I know, you arent tested on pullups/push ups/situps anymore at selection, but you may do them at Pre-ADSC depending on the office, and they are a pretty much a guarantee at the ADSC gym test and I was told you'd be doing them daily at phase 1. :)

I'd say 60+ pushups and situps are a good indicator, and 10 pullups for strength.

As far as I know, you arent tested on pullups/push ups/situps anymore at selection, but you may do them at Pre-ADSC depending on the office, and they are a pretty much a guarantee at the ADSC gym test and I was told you'd be doing them daily at phase 1. :)

I'd say 60+ pushups and situps are a good indicator, and 10 pullups for strength.

60+ in 2 mins ? Can do between 30 and 37 non stop as it is but then need to rest on my arms for a few secs then go again. I may start going for 70 non stop if I can, same with the situps. Started doing pullups today with a 2 litre in a backpack, they weigh 2 kilos you know :eek:. Going out for my run in a few so il do the warm up and 1.3 out and 1.3 back. Back is downhill so should be able to do it in 9.30 or less :D.

Anyone know what the story is the with levels on the payscale sheet? Level 1 through to 4 or 5 can't remember for a pvt. Its not like the Irish army with you are a recruit for first few weeks, then a 2 star and pass out as a 3 star and your that untill you go for NCO course. Its more complicated in the British army it looks like cause was told id be on the same money for the entire 26 weeks of training so your just a recruit till you pass out then what do you go up to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭clarbar

jesus didn't think there would been a thread here on the barb!! I got 54 thursday , been working out like mad can't wait to post my med forms and hopefully hear back soon :D

Good luck with your forms. Make sure the 1st thing you do is look for your vaccination records if you not with your original doctor since birth as I was waiting 3 weeks to get mine from the central immunision crowd, but I know other lads who sent theirs off without and they still got called for pre-adsc but better to have them on it or at least have them to hand for a later stage otherwise they might think you never been vaccinated against anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭clarbar

thanks I ll have to since I ve only back from the UK the last few months so Im waiting on getting my doctor set up back here also so. I ve got level 1 in both the literacy and numeracy tests. So Im quite scared incase this will affect me getting into the army in the end. how far are you along in the process?

clarbar wrote: »
    thanks I ll have to since I ve only back from the UK the last few months so Im waiting on getting my doctor set up back here also so. I ve got level 1 in both the literacy and numeracy tests. So Im quite scared incase this will affect me getting into the army in the end. how far are you along in the process?

Your worried the literacy and numercy tests will affect you? I was told they are not a test as such its just to see how far along you are. As in you'r not a person who can't add or spot words misspelt. Just like you did my BARB on the 21st June and sent off my medical forms on the 10th of this month. Just waiting to hear back now if I'm going for pre-ADSC or not. Shouldn't be any problems with my forms as I never go to the dr and no injuries, only issue was with my vaccination records but the doc give me 2 plus the MMR just to say I got them. Already have the 3 marks on my arm from the other injection from when I was a baby can't remember what its called.

Advertisement