Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Tralee Bypass (under construction)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

notice on kerry county council website thurs 20th may 2010..

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/advertsnotices/title,4102,en.html
    N22 Tralee Bypass - Design & Build Contract

Released: 20 May 2010
    Contract Notice
    Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates (Potential Tenderers) for the design and construction of the above project. The scheme has two main components, namely, the N22 Tralee Bypass and the N22 Access Route (Tralee to Bealagrellagh). The N22 Tralee Bypass will link the N69 Listowel Road with the N70 Killorglin Road via the N21 Limerick Road. It will comprise a Type 2 Dual Carriageway Road and will be approximately 8.0km in length. The N22 Tralee to Bealagrellagh will provide a separate access route for the N22 Killarney Road and will comprise a Standard 2-lane Single Carriageway Road and will be approximately 5.5km in length. For full information, please visit the Public Service Procurement Opportunities website at www.etenders.gov.ie and/or the database of the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU) at www.ted.europa.eu.

Closing date for receipt of Submissions is Monday, 28th June 2010 at 12:00 hours (noon).Submissions of Interest should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly endorsed "Expressions of Interest - N22 Tralee Bypass / Tralee to Bealagrellagh Road Improvement Scheme Design & Build Contract" and sent to the Senior Executive Officer, Corporate Services, Kerry County Council, County Buildings, Rathass, Tralee, County Kerry.
    The Freedom of Information Act 1997 applies.
    Funded by the Irish Government under the National Development Plan (2007-2013).
    Gerard O’Brien
    Acting SEO
    Coporate Affairs

posted up on etenders...
    http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=MAY152075&catID=1

I love the bit ... 32,000 km of fencing!

I expect it should be meters!! otherwise, it's a long fence!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're actually fencing off all of Kerry to keep us non-Kerrymen out ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

MYOB wrote: »

Damn right about time they did it too, damn Cork feckers coming over the border trying to steal our wimmens and jobs. Imagine the invasion of the langers in Killarney on the 6th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

MYOB wrote: »

In an article about Kerry County: The irish population has two categories, A: Kerrymen B: those who wish they were Kerrymen. :)

Another item: What was the best thing that ever came out of Cork County?
    THe N22 road to Kerry County. :)

The sooner the N22 road is improved, the better can Cork, Kerry, Irish, European and all people of the world drive to Cork and Kerry Counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'd be all for digging up the N22 or at least making it one way into Kerry so that anyone who goes in cant get out again :D

Whilst I agree that the N2*-Triangle (N20,N21,N22 - Cork-Limerick-Tralee-Cork) requires significant improvement, I think that it's only fair that the N20 be prioritised.
    n20, n22, n21 in that order....

if we had the money, i'd do all three together... but we don't, so the best we can hope for is piece-meal improvement.

Some more documents up on the KCC website for this project:
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n22traleebypass/

The Preliminary Design Report is worth reviewing:
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n22traleebypass/thefile,4307,en.pdf

update on tralee bypass, thanks to dmeehan...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67202347&postcount=110

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

fresca wrote: »

Is this really to go to construction next year? Is the money available for it?

• Advertisement

the funds were already granted for cpo & fencing.
    i'd imagine it will stop there.
    but of course - we've had no "official" announcement!

Ann Lane has compiled a book of photos on road art in Ireland.
    She was inspired by An Capall Mor on the N22.

http://www.millstreet.ie/blog/2010/08/05/ann-lane%E2%80%99s-photographic-journal-of-public-art

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/womans-journal-catalogues-wealth-of-celtic-tiger-craft-127091.html
    Woman’s journal catalogues wealth of Celtic Tiger craft

By Scott Millar
    Thursday, August 05, 2010

FROM a Gaelic chieftain surveying the Boyle bypass to the giant, rearing horse overseeing the roadway from Tralee to Cork city, Ann Lane has spent four years and travelled over 14,000 miles on an odyssey to catalogue the country’s main pieces of public art.

Having finished her work earlier this year, Ms Lane’s photographic journal will be published in the autumn as a major art book.

The 64-year-old, originally from Co Cork, said it was her initial encounter with Capall Mór, the ferro-cement over a steel structure, near Tralee, that depicts a Celtic war horse with broken chains around its forelegs, signifying freedom, which inspired her to undertake the task of cataloguing the works.

"The best of these works, such as the Chieftain at Boyle, can make the hair nearly stand up on the back of your neck, they are so impressively located. That statue itself has become a tourist attraction with coaches bringing holiday-makers to see it."

Ms Lane estimates she has photographed over 750 pieces, but several remain to be added to her list.

"I was doing up to 800 miles a weekend photographing in specific areas just to find out I’d missed works and would need to go back," she added.

Hundreds of figures and statues have appeared along the country’s highways and within developments during the massive upgrading of the road network and construction boom of the last two decades.

Micheal D Higgins, former Minister for the Arts, was central to the flowering of public art, introducing legalisation during the early 1990s which resulted in each development having to set aside 1% of its funding towards artistic creation.

"Knowing that we were on a verge of a whole series of public developments I was anxious that local authorities and corporate entities would have a proportion of the construction budget that addresses the need for public art," he said.

Mr Higgins added: "This was never investing for art out of surplus but was integral to development."

The downturn has resulted in a massive slump in construction — and public art. Pressure is also mounting to scrap Mr Higgins’ rule, with some councils objecting to the funding of public arts while services are being cut back.

In the case of Limerick County Council, some councillors unsuccessfully attempted to halt the spending of €110,000 earmarked for roadside art on the new M7 Limerick to Nenagh motorway, demanding the funding be diverted to other projects.

* Ann Lane’s photographic journal of public art will be published this autumn by Wordwell Books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

radiokerry.ie provided an update from Tralee Town Council's meeting last night that the Tralee bypass is still on track so for now it does not appear to be shelved. Good news for Kerry residents and visitors!Tralee Ring Roads project on track with building due by end of 2011 The Tralee Ring Roads project is on track, and building work should begin by the end of next year.That's according the Tralee Town Manager Michael McMahon, who was speaking at the council's monthly meeting last night.The Tralee Ring Roads Project involves four routes; the Tralee Western Relief Road from the Fenit Road to Blennerville Bridge; the Tralee Bypass to Forge Cross on the Listowel Road; and from there onto the Abbeydorney Road, and then to the Bracker O'Regan Road.Town Manager Michael McMahon says it's on schedule; the Compulsory Purchase Order of land has been approved, and Kerry County Council has taken possession and fenced off the land.Five contractors have been approved to tender for the project, and it's hoped to award it at the end of December or beginning of January.Building is expected to begin by the end of 2011, with the entire project going ahead at the one time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I don't whether or not it is related to the Tralee bypass, Killareny-Farranfore project or Ballvourney-Macroom bypass but the NRA have put a traffic counter on the N22 on the Killarney side of the level crossing just near John A. Woods quarry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

It wont be shelved probably delayed at worst. I still hate the design though. And KCC need to show some better details for the bypass not lines on a map. Galway County Councils website is superior to any other in the country for road projects.

This seems to be on the list of "small stuff that might still go ahead so there is not NOTHING happening". SOrt of like the Cork SRR interchanges or Longford. So this might go ahead within a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 atomohawk

good to see that the NRA have moved out of the 20th century and have now included in the design for a seperate cycle lane along the length of the 2x2 section 8km.:)
    However is a 2x2 dual carraigeway really needed to connect up two single carriage roads( killarney-Listowel) ?
    A decent single carraige would be adequate and has much better chance of being built in these must tighten our belt times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A 2+2 costs only marginally more than a 'decent single carriageway', thats the entire point of their design. They take little to no more land or surfacing than a WS2 - I'd even say they take less than Donegal County Council standard WS2s!

They also provide safe overtaking opportunities and prevent the need for upgrading in the medium term future should we have another massive hike in car usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I don't think anyone has uploaded a map of the bypass yet.

n22traleebypass.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Looks more like an Outer Ring Road than a Bypass.

• Advertisement

Just the first part of the Tralee Ring Roads project:
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/traleeringroadsproject/

Tragedy wrote: »
    Looks more like an Outer Ring Road than a Bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

fresca wrote: »
    Just the first part of the Tralee Ring Roads project:
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/traleeringroadsproject/

...which would look like this:

ringroads.jpg

I know it needs a bypass, does it need a ring road and a bypass? Only been in it 4-5 times at peak traffic in the last year, but it didn't seem that bad that it needs an almost complete orbital ring road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Tralee is one of the worst congested towns in the country. The first phase of the bypass wont make a dent on traffic entering and jamming the town centre.

Is it really? I've only been there during the summer and while it was always busy, it was always moving. Found a lot of the unbypassed towns on N roads in Cork worse!

Tralee Ringways anyone ;)

Had my first experience of Tralee today in quite some time, hitting it at 5pm and trying to get to a hotel on the outskirts (the other outskirts...)

That ringroad system is BADLY needed, even though it looks ridiculous in scale. Naas is marginally smaller in population and definitely smaller in local importance and has something similar and a full bypass.

Naas is bypassed though, with only two junctions on the bypass. This scheme seems to be a ring road, as much if not more for traffic inside tralee as people trying to get past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Tragedy wrote: »
    Naas is bypassed though, with only two junctions on the bypass. This scheme seems to be a ring road, as much if not more for traffic inside tralee as people trying to get past it.

Well that and no doubt opening up land for development! Given that they zoned enough Land in Kerry to house the entire population of Munster I wouldn't be surprised that when they originally designed the road during the boom years that this was part of their thinking.

• Advertisement

I've been looking at Furet's map and google maps, and I can't see how internal traffic will really benefit from the ring roads above. For northern traffic, you already have the new link road between R551, R556 and N69 as well as brewery road, for east to south/southwest, you have the N86 and Cloghers Road(not sure how good that road is, however).

Why is anything but an orbital N69 to N21/22 bypass needed? Perhaps with an extension to the N70.

I think the roundabout needs to be removed at the N21/N22 junction as part of the scheme with some sort of freeflow system implemented(plenty of open land to do it too!)

Advertisement