Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSc in Interactive Media

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mingushead

Hi,

I read some of these posts about the Interactive Media course in UCC and I made an account just to share my own experiences in this course.

I am currently enrolled, just finishing up semester one as we speak, 3 exams left. I don't think the opinions expressed here are a fair representation of the opinions of an average student enrolled in the course at all, so here's what I have to say.

This course is very tough. We've had about 5 dropouts so far, (out of 30 who started) despite everyone showing up to all labs, classes, putting in the time doing assignment work in the evenings etc. I'm coming in most weekends (both Saturday & Sunday), but I am in the minority, I don't usually see a lot of others doing the same. From speaking with my classmates, I can say that while there are some organizational issues with the course, everybody who is still here is really enjoying it and getting a lot from it. Personally I still don't believe how far I have come in such a short space of time. As a rule you will not be given enough time for assignments, although for every assignment that we felt we had an indefensibly short amount of time to complete, we were given extensions. (Our two toughest assignments for example, have been pushed back from the start of December, to early January.) The lecturers are all decent lads, are aware of the immense workload, and of the fact that we are all noobs, and will do their best to ensure everybody does the best he/she can.

I would definitely recommend to everybody coming into this course to do some prep work beforehand in any programming language, as I did. I studied music as an undergrad, and so had next to no programming experience coming into the course, but I did a couple of internet courses during the summer months before starting this course, which were invaluable. For anyone interested in starting the course, here's what we did so far, and here are the things I would recommend doing some prep work in:

Languages we covered:

HTML, CSS {
    These are both web-based, and handy enough to pick up. I did about 6 hours overall on codeacademy.com with these languages, which was more than enough imo to get through everything we did with ease.

PHP, MYSQL {
    The other two web-based languages, used with databases. These two are a bit tougher, we don't do a lot with them though, so there's not a lot to learn. I had no previous experience with these.

JavaScript, Processing {
    These are the two toughest from semester one. I had done a fair bit of work on processing.org for processing and codecademy.com for javascript before starting this course, about 15-20 hours each. This was invaluable, as almost all cases where someone was having difficulties with an assignment were a result of these two bad boys. I had no real difficulties with these two, but I had done a lot of work on them.

Actionscript {
    This has huge similarities with javascript. I had never used Actionscript before, but knowledge of javascript made this one easy.

Programs/Environments:

Logic, Photoshop {
    These are both handy enough, noone had any problems with these as far as I could see.

Blender {
    This one is definitely worth downloading before you start also. I had never used it, but if I had a month to myself right now, you can bet I would spend it getting comfortable with and learning how to be efficient using Blender.

Well, that's my two cents anyway. I was pretty well-prepared for the course, so I know I'm biased in that respect, but I did all that prep myself, just teaching myself on the internet. Anyone could do the same. I knew absolutely nothing about coding before last summer and now at the end of semester one my average assignment grade is about 87%.

In conclusion: Not for everyone, but highly-recommended from this poster. If you go for it, do some prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 speedytyper

I have finished this course and had a great background knowledge in coding before I started.

From being there every week, week in, week out - u are not the average student. The average student on this course is the student who has to leave at six o clock in the evening to go to work or take care of family commitments. The average student can't come in the weekends like you say cause they can't afford to be on the course with earning a living with it!

When I was doing the MSc, one student out of a class of 30+ had your position of being able to stay late at night and the privilege of using the labs the weekend. None of the rest of us could due to external commitments.

Yes the course is tough, it is a Masters programme at the end of the day. Yes you will be thrown in the deep end with coding many languages all at once, but u will survive if u can create a team of people around you to work on projects together! Many hands make light work!

Many years down the line - I still wish I had chosen a different Masters, not because of the course itself - I have amazing friends as a result of it, but because of its lack of teaching! UCC didn't teach me my 'taught masters' - I did!

What I would now say is - for the average student who has those external commitments - you will get there! You will achieve the M.Sc. it's disorganised, they won't teach you, but Google and Wikipedia are your best friends until October 2015, don't give in to the stress the course will put you under - it is achieveable!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pronoP2

Hello,

I was looking between this course and MSc in Digital Games which is been taught at DIT.
    Which one would you guys recommend. What the practicality for both the courses. What kind of job opportunity i can expect with this course .

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 speedytyper

A good 90% of the students that finished this course with me do have jobs - but they are based on their primary degrees not their Masters
    pronoP2 wrote: »
    Hello,

I was looking between this course and MSc in Digital Games which is been taught at DIT.
    Which one would you guys recommend. What the practicality for both the courses. What kind of job opportunity i can expect with this course .

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

Hi Everyone.

I am really considering studying the Interactive media course & just looking for some recent feedback on the course material & the lecturers.

From the reviews I've seen its a really difficult course over 1 year. Considering doing the course over 2 years.

If anyone has links on useful material or past papers please do let me know or send me a pm.

Many thanks,

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 6 omathum2

Hi Guys,

I'm considering the Interactive Media Masters in UCC, and some of the historic feedback on the course on here is really mixed. I'd love to hear a more recent perspective on what the course was like -

How did people find it? Is it still overwhelmingly technical?
    Are they still teaching a lot of the Adobe stuff like Flash which would seem a little out of date?
    How is the teaching ethos; is it still very much figure it out yourself, or have they improved the tutoring / taught part to help students out more, particularly those not coming from a coding background?
    Is there much of a design emphasis, given the increased importance of UI / UX in this field?

I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CorkRebell

Hi All,
    I’ve been offered a place on the MSc in Interactive Media in UCC however I have read very mixed reviews from students of previous years in this forum and i’m having second thoughts. Can anyone that has done the course in the last year or two say if the issues with course have been resolved and if they would recommend it? Thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

I did some modules from it, Its a great course but expect a lot of work.

Advertisement