Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat fighting

Options
  • 29-06-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

My male 2 yr old cat is constantly fighting with other cats. He is neutered.

Its gonna sound strange but he really hates black and white cats!!! Another ginger cat can strol passed and he wont care but if a black and white one come near he goes mad! :confused:

We have moved a few times and he has been very good about it. Not real behaviour problems except for this. The house we are in now has a big garden with lots of trees and a black and white guy living out the back(not sure if he is a stray or not,cant get close enough). Im guessing it is a territorial thing but neither are backing down, my guy has had his nail pulled off in one fight.

He was a stary that i adopted (or adopted me!) and he cant cope with being inside all the time.

Any advice on what to do??:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

OP you will need to be wary of feline diseases such as feline AIDS, this can be caught from fighting.

I would keep your fella in but get one of those plugin pheromones yokes. Ask around about the black and white one,if its a stray you may be able to borrow a trap to catch it. If it's friendly it could be rehomed but if it's much older and possibly unwell it may be better to put it down at the vets.

If your good with your hands you can try cat proofing part of the garden or construct a cat run.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Put a trap out for the stray, and see if you can cat-proof your garden to make it more difficult for your guy to get out and for other cats to get in. Alternatively build your guy an enclosure outside that he can access via a cat flap - you don't need a concrete base in a cat enclosure, because they won't dig to china to get out of the pen like a dog would. You do need to remember to wire over the top, or they'll climb out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Thanks for the replies. ill have to see about the pen,he goes bananas if he's in the window and the cat passes cant imagine he'd be any better in a run. Unfortunately there are 20ft trees out the back that this cat loves so wont be able to keep him out.
    Might try the pheramones,maybe calm him enough that he wont want to fight?

Advertisement