Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC: cabled area, but no service.

• 15-09-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I am trying to sign up for UPC in my new home in Ballinclea heights in killiney. They say it is a cabled area but they cannot provide a service until December 2018, not even aerial TV. They are unable to find out why.

Does anyone have experience of why this might be the case? The response they're giving doesn't make sense ... Why cable the area if they can't provide a service? It also seems a bit odd that they've given a date when they don't know what is stopping them from making services available.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

Pete

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

I am trying to sign up for UPC in my new home in Ballinclea heights in killiney. They say it is a cabled area but they cannot provide a service until December 2018, not even aerial TV. They are unable to find out why.

Does anyone have experience of why this might be the case? The response they're giving doesn't make sense ... Why cable the area if they can't provide a service? It also seems a bit odd that they've given a date when they don't know what is stopping them from making services available.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete

I can understand your frustration. I also live in a cabled area (Naas in Kildare) and am in virtually the same situation as you. However in your case they gave you a date, which I think is an easy way to say there will never be service there. In my case this was the feeling I got when I dealt with their reps (here on boards). I was only looking for their broadband and phone service, not TV as I have Sky, which is far superior.

Thankfully for me Naas is listed as one of the 50 areas for the ESB fibre rollout. It might worth a look to see if Killiney is also included, as there are some Dublin areas listed.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2 peterpetros

Upc have confirmed that although it's a cabled area, the cables won't be connected until December 2018. Eircom aren't sure when they'll upgrade us to fibre, they wouldn't be drawn - just said the "guideline is before the end of this year" - which the sales person said they say to everyone in the whole of Ireland at the moment. Ho hum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Upc have confirmed that although it's a cabled area, the cables won't be connected until December 2018. Eircom aren't sure when they'll upgrade us to fibre, they wouldn't be drawn - just said the "guideline is before the end of this year" - which the sales person said they say to everyone in the whole of Ireland at the moment. Ho hum!
    Check fibre rollout.ie , if you're planned by end 2015 it'll be listed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

Hi peterpetros
    I'm not far from you on Cunningham Road, been working in ICT for 20 odd years plenty experience in datacomms etc.
    I'll tell you now they are lying to you and I challenge any UPC rep on here to reply to this thread and contradict me

My prediction is that we won't see proper cabled BB in our part of the world in our lifetime....for example there's a UPC node within spitting distance of my house, I used to call regularly and received the same lies from the sales rep on the other end of the phone...oh yeah by summer 2011/12/13/14....blahdey blah....to add insult to injury every year they put their flyers in my letterbox advertising...guess what!? :)

Large parts of Killiney and Dalkey are BB black holes. Everything is working against us from ancient twisted pairs (which are sometimes shared with your neighbours without your knowledge even tho you are paying full price for the dsl joke) connected to exchanges so far away you'd need a flight to reach them to awkward topography (places like the quarry turning services like Imagine BB service into tin cans + string) to the fact that the housing density is just too low to get them to make an effort to lay coax.

the SAD truth is that like a lot of rural areas there are also urban areas in broadband hell and it will never ever change until the state intervenes and actually implements real infrastructure projects instead of relying on market forces...and I wouldn't hold my breath

best I reckon I can ever hope for is improved tech on vodafone 4G or similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just a tad exaggerated there. VDSL covers or is soon to cover most of the described area with relatively short loops now. Its not DOCSIS, but the majority of end users are still on 40-60Mb wireless connections that dont utilize their 200Mb.

U1rTe68.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

Hi ED IE
    yeah I've seen the plans....sorry but years of disappointment etc.
    I hope you're right

Advertisement