Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would win..

Options
  • 10-11-2008 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

In a close quarter dog fight, lets say at under 1500mtrs distance and just using guns, between a modern day jet fighter (any type) and a WWI biplane - again any type.

I'm guessing the biplane being slower, smaller and lighter would out maneuver the jet and hand him his ass?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I'd go with Biggles in his Sopwith Camel too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Mairt wrote: »
    In a close quarter dog fight, lets say at under 1500mtrs distance and just using guns, between a modern day jet fighter (any type) and a WWI biplane - again any type.

I'm guessing the biplane being slower, smaller and lighter would out maneuver the jet and hand him his ass?.

or the big F*ck Off Fighter Jet just does 1 quick fly by with full burners on and watches Biggles bite it/burn it/ get ripped apart by wake turbulence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gatecrash wrote: »
    or the big F*ck Off Fighter Jet just does 1 quick fly by with full burners on and watches Biggles bite it/burn it/ get ripped apart by wake turbulence

Unless the biplane pilot is a kamakazi!..

One biplane a few hundred quid - V - multi-million dollar jet.. Biplane wins!.

Mairt wrote: »
    Unless the biplane pilot is a kamakazi!..

One biplane a few hundred quid - V - multi-million dollar jet.. Biplane wins!.

Canvas wings and airframe vs metal wings and frame
    wooden struts and supporting wires v metal frame and no supporting wires
    Ok prop engine v jet engine would hurt

But I'd take my chances in my bulti-squillion-trillion-gazillion euro fighter jet!! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Wasn't something like that already hypothesised?

Zero1.JPG

I seem to recall the prop-jobs didn't come out the better of the exchange.

I'm going to go with the zoom-and-booms.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

remember the rules though..close quarter dogfight.( like I'd know!):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Someting like a Typhoon could turn almost as tightly as a Camel. A WW1 scout only had rifle calibre machine guns. All the fast jet pilot would hear is dink, dink, dink. A modern fighter could sustain the turn rate until the biplane spins out of the turn. Failing that the wake turbulence would roll the biplane into a ball. Even a blast of burner would set fire to the fabric and finally a simple tap on any part of the biplane would disintegrate it without any damage to the jet. GAME OVER!

Someting like a Typhoon could turn almost as tightly as a Camel. A WW1 scout only had rifle calibre machine guns. All the fast jet pilot would hear is dink, dink, dink. A modern fighter could sustain the turn rate until the biplane spins out of the turn. Failing that the wake turbulence would roll the biplane into a ball. Even a blast of burner would set fire to the fabric and finally a simple tap on any part of the biplane would disintegrate it without any damage to the jet. GAME OVER!

That's what i said!!! (Or at least implied) ((or maybe it's what i meant to say))

Advertisement