Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

ASOT wrote: »
    Anyone manage to get in to see rafa today ??

I heard him on Today FM.

Absolute gent.

The most interesting part for me was when he was asked who was his best signing ever. He didn't answer the question directly but mentioned Reina, Lucas and Torres. But no mention of Alonso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

djPSB wrote: »
    The most interesting part for me was when he was asked who was his best signing ever. He didn't answer the question directly but mentioned Reina, Lucas and Torres. But no mention of Alonso.
    This summer; Mourinho to Chelsea => Rafa to Madrid => Xabi to LFC

You read it here first only.

Maybe my expectations are a little high, I really expected him to score some more goals :confused:

Again it's down to the formation and system.

Torres in his prime wouldn't score many with our current set up. Suarez and Carroll are both good players but they are not starting enough games together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm not going to get into the Carroll debate again.

I'd hang onto him. Anytime he has played since Christmas he has met my expectations. He's not a world class striker and never will be. It depends what you expect from him.

Plus we'd only get 10-12m for him. It's about adding to what we have. I don't see any reason why bringing in another striker would mean Carroll would have to leave.

I bet you were like me when you were satisfied in a Carroll performance .

Satisfied in that he got around the park and had a decent game , but don't forget how low the bar was for him to show improvement .

I never have held the price tag against the guy , but Ngog had a better first season than him but he never got defended like Carroll does .
    Both are not up to scratch but it just amazes me that the price tag is used to hit those that bring it into a debate , but it's omitted when you look at the standard and comparison with the lesser player .

Look I don't wanna get this Carroll debate going either so I will stop now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

For the love of god, don't go to Chelsea please Rafa. Can someone nip over to Trinity and pass on the message please.:)

• Advertisement

For the love of god, don't go to Chelsea please Rafa. Can someone nip over to Trinity and pass on the message please.:)
    I really think they're holding out for Mourinho to return. Which would make Rafa's return to LFC all the more interesting...

open-a-can-of-worms.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I really think they're holding out for Mourinho to return. Which would make Rafa's return to LFC all the more interesting...

open-a-can-of-worms.jpg

:pac:

Just like the good old days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I could probably come up with a similar statistic for when Maxi plays or not.

Maybe you could. What's your point? That we play better with Maxi than with Downing? Hardly a revelation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

murpho999 wrote: »
    Not sure if true, but read on a Manc friends FB today that today is the 8000th day since LFC won the league....made me sad!:mad:

Is it?

Happy anniversary, here's to another 8000! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

We haven't even given the 'big man, small man' partnership a chance to work. They haven't played enough games together to deem it successful or unsuccessful.

On too many occasions, we see either Suarez or Carroll playing up front on their own in total isolation. Even the best striker in the world wouldn't thrive on such a system.

The whole system needs to be rejigged. In fairness to Kenny, injuries have played a major part. Alot of it comes down to central midfield which is the engine room of the team. And anything that's being powered by Jay Spearing and Charlie Adam is going to suffer more often than not.

Its not so much the partnership as the fact i see very little 'brain' in Carrolls play. You cant play 'brainy' football or slick football and utilise Carroll. You have to play, get it wide, whip it in football, otherwise you arent using the player properly. Personally, i will be astonished if Carroll is still in the squad post summer window 2014. Either that or we will be playing non 'brainy' football and playing % football. I got no problem with % football (i dont mean agricultural hoofball) but id hope we settle on something because from what i see right now we are doing a tug of war on football principles with the strikers. Suarez needs game intelligence beside him (Bellamy), Carroll needs midfielders for knockdowns (Nolan) and every opportunity to hit Carrolls head with the ball is taken. We simply dont play that way.

Id argue we need 2 new midfielders who are starting XI players, id hope Adam and Spearing are nowhere near a liverpool teamsheet in 18 months, if they are bench warmers thats ok. I think Henderson will be very good in 2 years, if he stays central and not wide. Whoever comes into the centre of midfield needs to get into the box more, its easy to defend against if you dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

daithijjj wrote: »
    Its not so much the partnership as the fact i see very little 'brain' in Carrolls play. You cant play 'brainy' football or slick football and utilise Carroll. You have to play, get it wide, whip it in football, otherwise you arent using the player properly. Personally, i will be astonished if Carroll is still in the squad post summer window 2014. Either that or we will be playing non 'brainy' football and playing % football. I got no problem with % football (i dont mean agricultural hoofball) but id hope we settle on something because from what i see right now we are doing a tug of war on football principles with the strikers. Suarez needs game intelligence beside him (Bellamy), Carroll needs midfielders for knockdowns (Nolan) and every opportunity to hit Carrolls head with the ball is taken. We simply dont play that way.

Id argue we need 2 new midfielders who are starting XI players, id hope Adam and Spearing are nowhere near a liverpool teamsheet in 18 months, if they are bench warmers thats ok. I think Henderson will be very good in 2 years, if he stays central and not wide. Whoever comes into the centre of midfield needs to get into the box more, its easy to defend against if you dont.

I understand people who support Carroll, but anyone who can't see this isn't looking at the situation objectively imo. Carroll and Suarez won't work imo and I reckon Suarez isn't keen on playing with Carroll. I think we could see Suarez as twice the player he is playing alongside someone who gets his play, and has the pace, passing and movement to link up with him.

Case in point was in the Carling Cup final, I remember in the first half Suarez playing a very neat and clever first time through ball for Carroll. A combination of Carroll not being aware, not having the desire, and not having the pace to get on the ball saw it as a harmless pass. Put the likes of Soldado in Carroll's place here and we're looking at a very likely goal.

Seriously those (few) writing off Suarez need their heads checked. He's clearly top class even if his finishing is hit and miss, and we'll see a hell of a lot more of him alongside another top striker.

On a side note, I disagree about Spearing and think you are being a bit harsh on the lad. He is easily good enough to be a back up midfielder. We need a big squad and I think Spearing is a very decent player, if nowhere near the league of Lucas. I thought he was outstanding against Arsenal and arguably our man of the match. He'd be happy to stay as a back up with relatively low wages and do a very capable job when called upon. I have absolutely ni problems with Jay Spearing as a backup for Lucas, just hopefully he won't have to be called upon as often as this season

EDIT: Sorry missed your point about you being happy with Spearing as a bench warmer. Ignore my point about Spearing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I heard him on Today FM.

Absolute gent.

He also mentioned Skrtel

The interesting thing is that both Skrtel and Lucas were heavily criticised in the early part of their Liverpool careers, now they aren't far off being the two most important players in the team

let's hope someone from adam, henderson, downing and carroll can make the similar jump from questionable start to one of the first names on the team sheet on form

and one other thing, why is reina immune from criticism? He has made numerous errors this season, dodgy goals conceded in at least five or six games this season and very little is said about it, he has been excellent for liverpool, the fans love him, he's a character, he likes to start attacks, he has great body language etc etc but this season he has been poor for liverpool - simple as that, we've got to be honest when we critique players and not go on past reputations, same applies to Dalglish who had a mixed first year in charge, i love the guy to bits, he has us playing an attacking style of football and he lives and breathes the football club and doesn't take ****e from critics but the majority of his signings have not delivered this year and he failed to take action in January, those are minus points for me, having said that i hope some of those signings come good like lucas and skrtel did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Was in at the Rafa talk in Trinity tonight.

Legend.

Wilshere in a familiar looking top today at training.

531489712.jpg?key=640480&Expires=1330985617&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=GCF7mYB146re5k3T5hb5QP902xa8pL22edS0zgFh6QcberwYS5cGu15dAL~QVuJWyQ3~w4iAhUJD0nYVqkfz8sS-3LVdurUE1HXbHEfnzGuCUc7x9msknIJjyrp-7jnbbUsp7Eon1Xu-CNXByQ8udTwaN3ezzNhB1LrhdqiR-vA_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

koppy wrote: »
    i think we need

a central defender thats ready to play..for cover for agger/skertel.
    wingers for both sides that can cross a decent ball.
    a proven striker that will hit 20 +m a yr.
    cover for lucas.

think we need to sort out what saurez is..is he a striker..a provider..winger type attacker. at the minute he not doing any of the above. i dont think were strong enough to have a player in that does not do much but look good on the ball. not saying get rid of him but just think we need to find out how to get the best out of him

Coates...

donfers wrote: »
    and one other thing, why is reina immune from criticism? He has made numerous errors this season, dodgy goals conceded in at least five or six games this season and very little is said about it, he has been excellent for liverpool, the fans love him, he's a character, he likes to start attacks, he has great body language etc etc but this season he has been poor for liverpool - simple as that, we've got to be honest when we critique players and not go on past reputations
    I've seen some criticism of Reina recently, but I stand by my point that he was not and never will be a top-drawer shot stopper but we accept that because of all the other positives you've mentioned above, which are much harder to find in a keeper (especially his anticipation/sweeping). But if he is making too many unforced errors (dropping crosses, spilling easy saves etc), then you're right, he shouldn't be exempt from criticism.

Morzadec wrote: »
    I understand people who support Carroll, but anyone who can't see this isn't looking at the situation objectively imo. Carroll and Suarez won't work imo and I reckon Suarez isn't keen on playing with Carroll. I think we could see Suarez as twice the player he is playing alongside someone who gets his play, and has the pace, passing and movement to link up with him.

Case in point was in the Carling Cup final, I remember in the first half Suarez playing a very neat and clever first time through ball for Carroll. A combination of Carroll not being aware, not having the desire, and not having the pace to get on the ball saw it as a harmless pass. Put the likes of Soldado in Carroll's place here and we're looking at a very likely goal.

Seriously those (few) writing off Suarez need their heads checked. He's clearly top class even if his finishing is hit and miss, and we'll see a hell of a lot more of him alongside another top striker.

On a side note, I disagree about Spearing and think you are being a bit harsh on the lad. He is easily good enough to be a back up midfielder. We need a big squad and I think Spearing is a very decent player, if nowhere near the league of Lucas. I thought he was outstanding against Arsenal and arguably our man of the match. He'd be happy to stay as a back up with relatively low wages and do a very capable job when called upon. I have absolutely ni problems with Jay Spearing as a backup for Lucas, just hopefully he won't have to be called upon as often as this season

EDIT: Sorry missed your point about you being happy with Spearing as a bench warmer. Ignore my point about Spearing

Completely agree. Id venture to say our away game at Chelsea in the league showed this, Bellamy/Maxi either side of Suarez. Just simple game intelligence is enough sometimes, Suarez wasnt great that day but he kept them busy giving others room, this is a large part of his game, its not a goal hanger. Playing alongside Carroll there is no intelligence, he is too slow upstairs and down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some posters seem sure we wont have big money to spend this Summer, don't know what that is based on?

I thought £50 Million or so last Summer and a few thought that was optimistic.

Ideally we'll save Cole and Aquilani's wages so roughly 120-140k a week there, would get 2 targets, wages aren't an issue. Club made a big profit on Torres and even made money book wise on Babel, shifted loads of dead weight that shouldn't affect the Accounts in a loss on player sales way. The club also spent a fair bit on ending a couple of players contracts last Summer.

I can see £30-40 Million easily, with little financial bother, if we get rid of those 2 financial millstones. Another cup win and a decent finish to the Season might see a bit more invested.

Edit: Maxi another 80-100k free, doubt he'll be here come September.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Again it's down to the formation and system.

Torres in his prime wouldn't score many with our current set up. Suarez and Carroll are both good players but they are not starting enough games together.

Excuses excuses excuses. With Carroll we are either not playing the right system, or he doesn't have the right players around him, or he isn't getting the right service. He's been at the club over a year, has played in plenty of different formations and with lots of different partners, and only looked a decent player a handful of times. If hes the type of player that requires every single part of the team to be tinkered to suit his strengths then hes not a Liverpool player.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Wilshere in a familiar looking top today at training.

531489712.jpg?key=640480&Expires=1330985617&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=GCF7mYB146re5k3T5hb5QP902xa8pL22edS0zgFh6QcberwYS5cGu15dAL~QVuJWyQ3~w4iAhUJD0nYVqkfz8sS-3LVdurUE1HXbHEfnzGuCUc7x9msknIJjyrp-7jnbbUsp7Eon1Xu-CNXByQ8udTwaN3ezzNhB1LrhdqiR-vA_

Bound to be shopped? If not, must have lost a bet or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Carrolls biggest problem is his lack of a first touch. He would be an asset to any team outside of the top six who that would rely on more long balls.

Carroll cant take on players which is fair enough not every forward needs to beat a man, but he lacks the technical ability to play in a side that keep the ball on the deck.

Add to all of this that he is incredibly half arsed at times about getting into the 6 yard box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Mr Alan wrote: »

Legend.

Fill us in on the highlights

Tusky wrote: »
    Excuses excuses excuses. With Carroll we are either not playing the right system, or he doesn't have the right players around him, or he isn't getting the right service. He's been at the club over a year, has played in plenty of different formations and with lots of different partners, and only looked a decent player a handful of times. If hes the type of player that requires every single part of the team to be tinkered to suit his strengths then hes not a Liverpool player.

What about Suarez so? There has been plenty of excuses made for him for not scoring. Not a finisher, not a striker, needs someone better up front with him etc etc.

I agree that we need a new striker. But I don't see the problem with holding onto Carroll. Every team needs 3/4 good strikers, and I don't see why so people are so keen to see him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Completely agree. Id venture to say our away game at Chelsea in the league showed this, Bellamy/Maxi either side of Suarez. Just simple game intelligence is enough sometimes, Suarez wasnt great that day but he kept them busy giving others room, this is a large part of his game, its not a goal hanger. Playing alongside Carroll there is no intelligence, he is too slow upstairs and down.

Agree. Another case in point, when Suarez played with Meireles. Damn Il never forget the feeling I had thinking of those two linking up throughout the season. The pair of them changed that game against Arsenal.

And It was all short crisp pass and go movement.

I still firmly believe we would be much better off in the league if we had kept hold of Meireles.

5starpool wrote: »
    Bound to be shopped? If not, must have lost a bet or something.

Nah it's real.
    @JackWilshere: And by the way....Gooners, don't worry I am not a Liverpool fan I am a Pepe Reina fan! #Decent keeper!
    Fill us in on the highlights

Nothing we've not heard before.

Couple of funny stories from his days in Spain, other than that just pointing out a lot of the bollox said about him.

Bit on Istanbul, stats, zonal marking, differences between Spain/England/Italy.

Charming, funny, smart. I'm still in love :o

K-9 wrote: »
    Some posters seem sure we wont have big money to spend this Summer, don't know what that is based on?

The key part where we saved money (and how we bridged the gap between money in and out from transfers to have a net spend near to £0) was by massively reducing the wage bill - something in the region of 30m quid per year less is now going into wages.

That, coupled with our new revenue from Warrior, should easily give room to manoeuver.

So we need a Bellamy clone who is 5/6 years younger, fits into pass and move or Carroll knock ons seamlessly. The scouts on here I'm sure can provide Kenny with names.

Carroll isn't a 6 yard goal smoocher, neither is Suarez. Carrolls instinct is to lurk around the edge of the box and hit it first time, like the Downing assist, his Exeter goal and he does it very well if the team understands that. That combined with a Bellamy clone and Suarez can work.

On the Carroll/Suarez thing, I think people are concentrating far too much on players that don't suit Carroll or Suarez. We don't have any players that suit both except Bellamy, and we all know he's restricted on match time. Intelligent player that can perfectly fit in with Suarez and Maxi, play the lovely 1-2's and also has the intelligence to adapt, 9 times out of 10 the only player willing to gamble on a Carroll flick and that takes intelligence, something that gets forgotten when people think of Carroll or Agricultural football.

Gerrard could well fulfill this role but:

1. Doubt we'll see it,
    2. Injury doubts.

The more and more I think about it we need a new Bellamy signing and somebody to partner Lucas/Spearing. Adam isn't consistent enough, though alongside Lucas, not a bad option. Everybody moans about Aqua/Meireles and rightly so, neither would have solved that particular huge gaping hole. Gerrard nor Henderson neither.

So spend big on a partner for Lucas, personally I'd go for somebody 26/27, give Henderson a year or 2 to develop, Spearing as back up to Lucas, Adam to the new signing. We've been unlucky that Lucas and Gerrard have had injury worries but these are things top 4 clubs should have back up plans for.

Right Wing is the other obvious concern, we have nobody. Spend money there first, left wing with Downing and Bellamy is after that, concentrate on the wing with no Natural right wingers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What about Suarez so? There has been plenty of excuses made for him for not scoring. Not a finisher, not a striker, needs someone better up front with him etc etc.

I agree that we need a new striker. But I don't see the problem with holding onto Carroll. Every team needs 3/4 good strikers, and I don't see why so people are so keen to see him leave.

Suarez finishing has been poor, no question about it. But how many times has he been among the best 3 performers on the pitch? In most games, I would venture. He misses lots of chances, but he creates the majority of them himself. He's not perfect, and has to improve in some areas, but I genuinely believe he is not the problem. I think he has a great Liverpool career ahead of him if we can sort the rest of the team out.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gbear wrote: »
    The key part where we saved money (and how we bridged the gap between money in and out from transfers to have a net spend near to £0) was by massively reducing the wage bill - something in the region of 30m quid per year less is now going into wages.

That, coupled with our new revenue from Warrior, should easily give room to manoeuver.

Just in general terms, you've been a great addition to the LFC superthread over the last few weeks, wp.

Don't disappoint me and get all weird now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nah it's real.

Nothing we've not heard before.

Couple of funny stories from his days in Spain, other than that just pointing out a lot of the bollox said about him.

Bit on Istanbul, stats, zonal marking, differences between Spain/England/Italy.

Charming, funny, smart. I'm still in love :o

Did he mention when he would be unveiled as the Chelsea manager? :pac:

K-9 wrote: »
    So we need a Bellamy clone who is 5/6 years younger, fits into pass and move or Carroll knock ons seamlessly. The scouts on here I'm sure can provide Kenny with names.

Carroll isn't a 6 yard goal smoocher, neither is Suarez. Carrolls instinct is to lurk around the edge of the box and hit it first time, like the Downing assist, his Exeter goal and he does it very well if the team understands that. That combined with a Bellamy clone and Suarez can work.

Gerrard could well fulfill this role but:

1. Doubt we'll see it,
    2. Injury doubts.

The more and more I think about it we need a new Bellamy signing and somebody to partner Lucas/Spearing. Adam isn't consistent enough, though alongside Lucas, not a bad option. Everybody moans about Aqua/Meireles and rightly so, neither would have solved that particular huge gaping hole. Gerrard nor Henderson neither.

Onthe Carroll/Suarez thing, I think people are concentrating far too much on players that don't suit Carroll or Suarez. We don't have any players that suit both except Bellamy, and we all know he's restricted on match time. Intelligent player that can perfectly fit in with Suarez and Maxi, play the lovely 1-2's and also has the intelligence to adapt, 9 times out of 10 the only player willing to gamble on a Carroll flick and that takes intelligence, something that gets forgotten when people think of Carroll or Agricultural football.

So spend big on a partner for Lucas, personally I'd go for somebody 26/27, give Henderson a year or 2 to develop, Spearing as back up to Lucas, Adam to the new signing. We've been unlucky that Lucas and Gerrard have had injury worries but these are things top 4 clubs should have back up plans for.

Right Wing is the other obvious concern, we have nobody. Spend money there first, left wing with Downing and Bellamy is after that, concentrate on the wing with no Natural right wingers.

The problem is alot of people see Carroll as the root of our problems which is unfair. He has been very good since the New Year, and has probably contributed more than Suarez.

I'd like to see Hoilett brought in. Should be available for 9-10m.

Maybe Pogrebnyak wouldn't be a bad option as an additional striker. He's only on loan at Fulham and has scored 5 in 3. Could be next seasons Demba Ba.

Would also like to see Keita or someone of his ilk brought in. Should be available for 5-6m.

Realistically, Spearing can't be starting more than 3/4 PL games next season if we have any chance of making top 4. Adam about 7/8. And both of them featuring on the pitch at the same time should be very very very rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Does anyone have a break down on how we have reduced the wage bill?

Suarez finishing has been poor, no question about it. But how many times has he been among the best 3 performers on the pitch? In most games, I would venture. He misses lots of chances, but he creates the majority of them himself. He's not perfect, and has to improve in some areas, but I genuinely believe he is not the problem. I think he has a great Liverpool career ahead of him if we can sort the rest of the team out.

I am not saying he is the problem.

Just think it's unfair that Carroll has to shoulder most of the criticism, especially when he has been better than Suarez in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mixednuts wrote: »

I just can't see £100mil being made available again

Or before...
    ASOT wrote: »
    Anyone manage to get in to see rafa today ??

Legend.

I was also in the presence of Rafa. I'd have been equally aghast had I known ~I was in the presence of Mr Alan.

I am not saying he is the problem.

Just think it's unfair that Carroll has to shoulder most of the criticism,

Well we are in dire need of a goalscorer and our number 9 doesn't score many goals so of course he's going to come under criticism. But in fairness, Adam, Henderson, Downing, Carragher and even Gerrard have been criticised quite heavily in recent weeks too.
    especially when he has been better than Suarez in the last few weeks.

Don't agree with that.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a break down on how we have reduced the wage bill?

Linkydoodle

The players we've bought in have all been put on fairly low wages.
    I think the highest we've gone is about 80k p/w
    Bellamy might be on a bit more.
    If you even are pessimistic and take the average as 80k/pw thats about 29m per year.

Alot of overpaid filler, young lads who didn't make it, rubbish and players over the hill were removed - 19 players in total:
    Poulsen, Cole, Aquilani, Meireleis, Jovanovic were all apparently on 90k p/w
    Kyrgiakos, Ngog, Koncheskey, El Zhar, Insua, Degen and then lots of players probably paid in the 10-20k p/w bracket. (take a ball park average of 50k p/w).

29m - (23m + 33m) = -27m using armchair maths. There was also a few minor transfer fees for a few players - about 7m or so between them.

Between winter 10/11 and last summer, that's about 70m odd in transfers out and 100m in with a net reduction of the wage bill by 30m odd.

Well we are in dire need of a goalscorer and our number 9 doesn't score many goals so of course he's going to come under criticism. But in fairness, Adam, Henderson, Downing, Carragher and even Gerrard have been criticised quite heavily in recent weeks too.

Don't agree with that.

To be honest I don't see wither Carroll or Suarez as our main problems.

Against Arsenal, it was all our own errors that lead to us getting beat. i.e Carragher defending for the goal, Kuyt penalty miss, Kelly miss, maybe the Suarez miss.

I have no problem with either Carroll or Suarez being in the starting 11 on a weekly basis. I don't think either would look out of place in a top 4 squad. Obviously, Suarez is alot better player than Carroll.

The problem for me is the following players being in the team on a weekly basis.
    - Adam
    - Spearing
    - Kuyt
    - Maxi

Hence the reason why I have being saying all along that we are 3/4 players short of finishing in the top 4.

Linkydoodle

If you even are pessimistic and take the average as 80k/pw thats about 29m per year.

Alot of overpaid filler, young lads who didn't make it, rubbish and players over the hill were removed - 19 players in total:
    Kyrgiakos, Ngog, Koncheskey, El Zhar, Insua, Degen and then lots of players probably paid in the 10-20k p/w bracket. (take a ball park average of 50k p/w).

29m - (23m + 33m) = -27m using armchair maths. There was also a few minor transfer fees for a few players - about 7m or so between them.

Between winter 10/11 and last summer, that's about 70m odd in transfers out and 100m in with a net reduction of the wage bill by 30m odd.

I thought Meireles was on 30-40k per week?

And it being one of the reasons he went to Chelski.

Maxi hasn't gotten a lot of game time lately. He seemed to link up pretty well with Suarez on occasion.

I'm skeptical as to whether the figures thrown around for various people's wages are accurate. It has also been said that we are paying a large chunk of J.cole's wages amongst others.

To be honest I don't see wither Carroll or Suarez as our main problems.

Against Arsenal, it was all our own errors that lead to us getting beat. i.e Carragher defending for the goal, Kuyt penalty miss, Kelly miss, maybe the Suarez miss.

I have no problem with either Carroll or Suarez being in the starting 11 on a weekly basis. I don't think either would look out of place in a top 4 squad. Obviously, Suarez is alot better player than Carroll.

The problem for me is the following players being in the team on a weekly basis.
    - Adam
    - Spearing
    - Kuyt
    - Maxi

Hence the reason why I have being saying all along that we are 3/4 players short of finishing in the top 4.

Disagree. We are dominating games, creating lots of chances but scoring very few goals. The main problem is with the attacking players who are not scoring. We have zero goals from the wings, and very few goals from our number 9. Suarez has chipped in with a few, and is top scorer, but also needs to score more.

Maxi rarely plays so I don't see how he can be viewed as a serious problem. Kuyt has been better than Downing when he's played so again, not our biggest priority. Spearing is far from ideal, but seeing as goal scoring is our main problem is seems crazy to pick out a defensive midfielder. Agreed on Adam.

• Advertisement

Linkydoodle

Meireles was supposedly on 20-30k, ridiculously low money anyway.

Kyriakos and Konchesky would have been on 40-60k no bother, Degen similarly easily. Going on recollections of good blog posts from last Summer, can't think of it before you ask!

Had to pay off a couple of players to get rid.
    The club had serious issues with deadwood, not far of £1 Million a week!

It was so bad, put it this way, we still pay most of Coles and Aqua's wages!

I think there is still room to manouevre, shame we are chatting about this in early March.

Linkydoodle

Meireles was never on 90k, supposedly one of the reasons he left, he was on low wages. I very much doubt Poulsen was on that as well. Secondly I'm pretty sure we are still paying a decent chunk of wages for Cole and Aquilani. Thirdly, does it factor in our current signings and new contracts? Lucas, Spearing and Jonhson have all gotten new deals, possibly more players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Gerrard:
    "A few weeks ago, people were writing off Arsenal's season, but their recent performances show how foolish that is. That's what we need to do now." "We still have plenty of points to play for in the league, but it means we can't afford to drop too many more points between now and the middle of May if we want to get back into the top four. "Competition for the [fourth] Champions League spot is very tough, but we still have to play most of the teams around us, and defeating those sides will still play a major part in deciding where we finish." "We have to make the League Cup the start of something bigger, not just a one-off - that's our aim." "Six years is far too long for this club to go without silverware. Getting our hands on the trophy is the important thing, and now we've ended that wait and this group of players wants to go on and achieve even more success."

Perhaps I was seated near Mr Alan, I have a suspect in mind... Did you ask a question Mr Alan?

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Perhaps I was seated near Mr Alan, I have a suspect in mind... Did you ask a question Mr Alan?

Nope :p

Nope :p

Just as I suspected. :p

Disagree. We are dominating games, creating lots of chances but scoring very few goals. The main problem is with the attacking players who are not scoring. We have zero goals from the wings, and very few goals from our number 9. Suarez has chipped in with a few, and is top scorer, but also needs to score more.

Maxi rarely plays so I don't see how he can be viewed as a serious problem. Kuyt has been better than Downing when he's played so again, not our biggest priority. Spearing is far from ideal, but seeing as goal scoring is our main problem is seems crazy to pick out a defensive midfielder. Agreed on Adam.

I wouldn't say Maxi is a serious problem but he is a problem in that he is not good enough to start in a top 4 team and he doesn't offer a whole lot from the bench. When you look at the teams above us, they have players like Young or Valencia, Adam Johnson, Ox Chamberlain, Kalou, Kranjcar on the bench. I would rate Maxi and Kuyt at the bottom of that list. Like I have said before, our best eleven is good enough to finish in the top 4, but it's our capabilities to deal with injuries that has cost us.

The reason I say Spearing is a problem, is because you cannot rely on him in a 4-4-2 formation. Yes he did grand in a few games in a 3 man central midfield but it limits out tactical options with players like him as immediate back up to Lucas.

I would say with all players fit, Kenny would have liked (from midfield up):

--Henderson----Gerrard---Lucas----Downing

Suarez
    Carroll

Which IMO is top 4 standard.

But now due to injuries the preferred tactic is:

Spearing

Adam
    Henderson

----Kuyt
    Downing

Suarez (isolation)

This is due to Kenny not being able to trust two of either Henderson, Adam and Spearing in a two man midfield. I would say if you offered Swansea or the majority of PL teams the oppurtunity to swap their midfield with that in the morning, they would gladly reject the offer. However, I don't think the same could be said for a Carroll-Suarez partnership.

If you think that it is just our finishing that is costing us then the solution is simple. Sign Darren Bent. But for me, the problems lie elsewhere.

Carroll top 4 standard? :pac:

djPSB - with all due respect, I think you're a madman. You're like a doctor treating a man who is riddled with aids and focusing on a pimple on the end of his nose. Of course Spearing and Maxi are not top four first 11 standard...but noone said they are. Spearing is filling in for Lucas and Maxi doesn't start. And as a sidenote, you can knock Maxi all you like but at least he knows where the goal is.

But to focus on those players as the main problems in the squad is lunacy. BY FAR our biggest problem is goalscoring...so blame Spearing, a defensive midfielder, and the squad player who rarely plays, but actually has a decent scoring record when he does?

Also, you talk about Spearing not being able to play in a 2 man midfield. Have you seen either of Adam or Henderson try to play in a two man midfield? I would argue that Spearing is actually more suited to it than either of them.

Of course we should aim to have better backup players than Maxi and Spearing, but lets focus on getting quality into the first 11 before we try sort out the squad players eh?

I was having a read of the BBC gossip page and we are linked with a player called Jackson Martínez.

I checked wikipedia and found this:
    wrote:
    he is also worth signing on fifa 12 as he is cheap and will get you goals, 23 to be exact. bargin

Sounds good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement