Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buses stuck at junctions - Ten of them!!!

• 07-04-2008 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭

This morning at Terenure Cross, I counted TEN buses backed up on Templeogue Road. Is this a record?? At least I didn't have to wait to get one but it re-emphasises the farce that is traffic management in that area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

tallpaul wrote: »
    This morning at Terenure Cross, I counted TEN buses backed up on Templeogue Road. Is this a record?? At least I didn't have to wait to get one but it re-emphasises the farce that is traffic management in that area.

The problem with Terenure is that there are two key corridors (Templeogue Road/Terenure Road East, and Rathfarnham Road/Terenure Road North) crossing one another plus you have traffic from Terenure Road West joining Templeogue Road in Terenure Place.

And it is Terenure Place that is the real difficulty. Traffic from two heavily used roads is funnelled into one short road that then has to cross another very busy corridor. No matter what you do with the lights, there is still going to be problems with this junction.

The queue relocator lights on Templeogue Road do help somewhat by moving some of the queue back to where there is a bus lane, but without a wholescale reorganisation of the roads such as introducing one way systems (as suggested by one study) it is going to be very difficult to substantially improve traffic flow in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

KC61 - I beg to differ - I don't think that enough thought has gone into the area - as it is not in the city centre area, DCC is more inclined to leave the queuing there rather than further into the city.......trust me, it could be improved, DCC should ask all the passengers on the 10 buses for suggestions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

HonalD wrote: »
    KC61 - I beg to differ - I don't think that enough thought has gone into the area - as it is not in the city centre area, DCC is more inclined to leave the queuing there rather than further into the city.......trust me, it could be improved, DCC should ask all the passengers on the 10 buses for suggestions :D

If there is a way to improve 7 lanes of traffic and 5 roads converging, let them know as scores of traffic managers have yet come up with it. Even daytime, traffic on Templeogue Road is backed up so that should show one that it is basic capacity issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Hamndegger wrote: »
    If there is a way to improve 7 lanes of traffic and 5 roads converging, let them know as scores of traffic managers have yet come up with it. Even daytime, traffic on Templeogue Road is backed up so that should show one that it is basic capacity issues.

That's only looking at it from a traffic point of view - the buses stranded on the approaches can be brought through the junctions better - does anyone who uses the route have any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

I opt for the 15X any morning I have to be in town for 9 because it doesn't have to go down Templeogue Road. Dodging it comes at a cost though - on cold / wet mornings it often gets stuck for up to 20 minutes in heavy traffic at an equally frustrating junction at the yellow house. The junction at Rathgar when approaching from Orwell Road can also cause significant delays.

The only proven way to minimise delays on these routes is to get up early!!! Coming from Knockylon (less than 10km from town) I don't feel guaranteed of being in town for 9 unless I am on a bus (15, 15X or 74A) no later than 7.45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Only took me the 25 minutes to get through Terenure on the bus this morning...:mad:

In fact there has been some detailed studies of this problem by South Dublin County Council and Dublin City Council, which are still being reviewed. One proposal that I recall was to make Templeogue Road one way outbound with a contra-flow bus lane. However, the implications for inbound traffic would be huge.

It's all very well saying it could be improved...but what do you suggest? Changing the sequence for Terenure Place will just move the problem onto Rathfarnham Road which is itself very busy.

That's only looking at it from a traffic point of view - the buses stranded on the approaches can be brought through the junctions better - does anyone who uses the route have any suggestions?

There is a finite roadspace on the two approaches to Terenure Place which allows for only one lane of traffic in either direction. The queue relocator lights were installed to try to keep the general traffic queue back on Templeogue Road where there is a bus lane, but with the heavy volumes on both it and Terenure Road West this is only partially successful, as both then have to fit into Terenure Place.

The traffic is the principal problem that is holding buses up. Therefore it is what needs to be focussed on, as freeing it up will improve the bus speeds. Short of banning all non-public transport inbound from one or both routes, I can't see this improving radically.

Advertisement