Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild food in Ireland

Options
  • 31-03-2015 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by one of the other threads, I think it would be useful for us country folk to point out all the naturally occurring food that's available in the Irish countryside before the city folk start eating each other when supervalu closes for the last time.

So one food item per post. Explain where it can be found, when it's available, any dangers associated with it and how long it will maintain freshness. Maybe some tips for preservation if you have them.

I'm going to start with blackberries.

They're available throughout Ireland and most northern temperate zones, handily they like to grow beside roads a lot of the time and while those berries by the road probably aren't edible today with modern traffic running around, after the apocalypse they will make walking between towns in autumn time a feast.

The shrubs grow at ditches, hedgerows and along the verges of farms, there's no shortage of the bushes at the moment and I suppose we can expect them to run pretty wild once no bodies cutting them back.

Blackberries are available in autumn harvest time. They start growing late summer.

The berries won't last to long on their own you'll probably have to eat as you pick but they can be preserved in jams.

I looked up health risks but the only thing I can really find is a Hep A outbreak caused by commercially picked berries transmitting the illnesses of workers on. So in the wild as long as they're ripe you should be good.

I'm not sure what other wild berries are available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

4 million people rampaging through the country stripping the hedgerows of berries and nettles and hoovering up all the rabbits. Can't see that lasting for too long. Better to keep the knowledge to yourself. Or you could tell us where your own food stache is.. we wouldn't tell anyone...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I dont know how much truth there is to it, but as a child we were always warned to stay away from blackberries after a period of wet weather as they supposedly could give you worms, I don't know if there's any truth to that though. The other warning was to stay away from berries close to the ground incase they had rat piss on them, again, just what I remember being told.

My suggestion would be nettles. Not very high in calories but good nutritional value link

Not hard to prepare and widely available, best to pick in spring/early summer, before it flowers. Take the top part off of younger plants and cook in water to remove the sting.

Can also be dried and made into tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Game birds, pheasant, pigeon etc.
    Rabbit
    Deer
    Fresh water and sea fishing
    Coastal foraging , seaweed, mussels, limpets, razor clams, cockles

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I dont know how much truth there is to it, but as a child we were always warned to stay away from blackberries after a period of wet weather as they supposedly could give you worms, I don't know if there's any truth to that though. The other warning was to stay away from berries close to the ground incase they had rat piss on them, again, just what I remember being told.
    I wouldn't put to much faith in old wives tails, however they are usually based on some fact. I don't see why wet weather would cause worms in blackberries. Human worms need a life cycle, they tend to use cattle as their means of getting into humans because we used to spray human waste on fields to fertilize them which gave the worms a complete cycle from cattle to human and back to cattle again. It rains so often in Ireland that berries wouldn't work if they became dangerous to the animals they need to eat them and spread their seed.

Berries close to the ground are going to be eaten by smaller animals and any diseases they have could get passed on. So it would be a good idea to pick from higher up. It's usually very obvious if the berries have been eaten by something else.

My suggestion would be nettles. Not very high in calories but good nutritional value link

Not hard to prepare and widely available, best to pick in spring/early summer, before it flowers. Take the top part off of younger plants and cook in water to remove the sting.

Can also be dried and made into tea.
    My uncle loves nettle soup. I'd forgotten about it. Nettles are absolutely everywhere though so a great food source.

Game birds, pheasant, pigeon etc.
    Rabbit
    Deer
    Fresh water and sea fishing
    Coastal foraging , seaweed, mussels, limpets, razor clams, cockles
    Don't just list out a load of different things. Pick one and give some details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

A real gem (thanks to my nana many years ago) is the Fuchia.
    2FHEuao.jpg

The flowers of this bush contain a natural honey/sugar centre. You can pick the flower and suck the centre and get a sweet hit. They flower in summer, and the bush (originally from Dominican Republic, says Wikipedia) grows in most of Ireland, particularly in the south and in local protected spots.

OK, so its not a real food, as you cant live on it. But its great for pushing up blood sugar, or for sweetening tea / food / etc.

PS A note on rabbits, as learned from QI: If you eat ONLY rabbits, then you will die from some sort of poisoning (overload of iron??). But if you add potatoes / veg then you are ok, its only if 100% of your intake is rabbit meat ..... go figure!

PS A note on rabbits, as learned from QI: If you eat ONLY rabbits, then you will die from some sort of poisoning (overload of iron??). But if you add potatoes / veg then you are ok, its only if 100% of your intake is rabbit meat ..... go figure!
    I don't know if this is an urban legend or not, but apparently a student in Galway died from scurvy because he would only eat whole chickens he got on discount in the local supermarket.

The thing your talking about seems to be rabbit starvation.

I guess we're going to have to ensure we have a varied diet come the apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Id just let myself become a zombie and then hang around nettles and rabbit burrows and eat people who are there foraging food.Simples.

An interesting one but probably not all that useful due to its limitations is birch sap

Only available for a short time in Spring apparently (I've never tried tried tapping it), but it can be used as a sugary energy drink, with a good vitamin C content. But it doesnt hold for long only a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Just posted this in the wrong thread!

If you llive near the sea, what about sea weed? I'm not sure if you can eat it raw or not or how to cook. I imagine boiling would be sufficient.

You can have dried sea weed and fry it so might be a way of preserving or just storing some in a bucket of sea water?

I heard it's very nutritious and the light green stuff is the best to go for. It's mostly found on rocky beaches. You could probably pick some up when looking for crabs and other shellfish.

• Advertisement

Saralee4 wrote: »
    Just posted this in the wrong thread!

If you llive near the sea, what about sea weed? I'm not sure if you can eat it raw or not or how to cook. I imagine boiling would be sufficient.

You can have dried sea weed and fry it so might be a way of preserving or just storing some in a bucket of sea water?

I heard it's very nutritious and the light green stuff is the best to go for. It's mostly found on rocky beaches. You could probably pick some up when looking for crabs and other shellfish.
    It's mentioned in an old Ray Mears book that I have alright as a winter/early spring food. You just have to stick to the leafy kinds and avoid the desmarestia types as they contain sulphuric acid, and only take seaweed still attached to the rock.

ScumLord wrote: »

"Gutweed is my favourite. Squeezed dry in a tea towel and deep fried for a few seconds, it produces genuine "crispy seaweed". The fine fronds retain their green colour and make a stunning garnish for seafood dishes."

mmmm Gutweed, sounds lovely :D

food advice from Sara Lee ..... :-D ... better take note guys, its bound to be good stuff!

Another food-ish tip is ..... coffee substitute! You can pick goosegrass in late summer / autumn, then dry out the sticky seeds, grind them up and roast them as a coffee substitute. Also dandelion root can ground up as another substitute for coffee. Cant give any personal experience of what they taste like!!

Rosehips
    These are the seed pod of roses. In well tended gardens they are usually pruned before they develop. But in the post ZA world I imagine that this will be very low on folks list, so they should be very abundant. They are small berry sized, redish seed balls on the tip of the stems, and best collected after the first frost. They can be processed into a syrup which is high in vitiman C. There used to be a time when we would collect bags of these for school! Not sure how to process them.....

food advice from Sara Lee ..... :-D ... better take note guys, its bound to be good stuff!

eh what's that supposed to mean? :confused:

Sara Lee
    jac81g7.gif

Just saying that your name reminds me of the giant food corporation in the USA .... so you must have good tips when it comes to food!

Alright rawhide! "Don't try to understand em, just rope and throw and brand em" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Lobsters are handy enough to hunt and catch with a bit of practice, even easier if you can find a few pots.

cockles are tasty, they are abundant in the southeast anyway in tidal estuaries

Limpits are feckin awful, they are handy as bait tho, once you learn the knack of getting them off the rocks

Small green crabs can be crushed to a tasty paste.

periwinkles are harder to find, but oh so worth the effort as a tasty snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I think you would have to eat to surrive and not for taste after a few weeks food would be in very short supply also people would have to defend themself so first thing is to get a gun for protection and to shoot food.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I wouldn't last very long as I'm a very fussy eater and I'm not sure if even the zombie apocalypse could make me eat sea-weed... Or 'live off the land' in general, for that matter. I'm not much of a vegetable person and I don't think the apocalypse comes with a life-time supply of microwavable grub :D

I remember i watched a documentary, it was about these men who were stuck on a boat.

They were dehydrating. They had supplies to get fish though. Apparently they started to crave the fish eyes. It was thought that their body was telling them to eat the eyes which would usually gross them out because this part of the fish contained water.

So I'd say you would be surprised at the natural survival instincts that kick in.

I always think there is a certain part of survival that you cannot control, like it's part of your make up. Obviously there would be certain people who are more trained for those type of events but to some I think there is a natural ability.

• Advertisement

That's all very true Saralee, all you have to go back to is the likes of that flight that got stuck in the andes turned into the movie alive. They eat their friends when they had to. Hunger will drive you to try eating just about anything, even things you know that could potentially kill you, because you will die if you don't eat and it's a very painful way to die.

The other thing to take into account is the fact that wild food is infinitely tastier than what we get in our supermarkets. A wild berry is twice the berry you'll get in the supermarket. Some things are so much better it's like the shops are stocking another fruit/vegetable that just looks something like the real thing.

The ways left open to you for cooking food might actually help to. Boiled vegetables are handy for us now, but unless you're carrying around a pot with you you may be essentially roasting or BBqing everything. Roasted vegetables are way nicer than boiled vegetables.

Not too many calories it seems but Worms and other little critters:

"There are hundreds of different species of earthworm throughout the world. All are considered safe for human consumption, but they should be purged of the dirt that fills them before you dine. An easy way to clean them out is to place them in a container of damp grass. After a few hours, the critters will be void of the dirt and sand they normally hold. Like all animal foods, worms should be cooked before you eat them. I recommend frying. The good news is that fried worms taste a little like jerky. The bad news: Average sized worms contain only about 1 calorie per gram (not counting any fat used for frying). "

Food preparation is something that will get a lot of people in trouble, i know about purging shellfish in clean water, but hadnt considered that method for worms, i would probably have ended up drowning them

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Food preparation is something that will get a lot of people in trouble, i know about purging shellfish in clean water, but hadnt considered that method for worms, i would probably have ended up drowning them

We'l all be ok though Tzar Chasm, we are getting our training and educating ourselves on the matter from boards! We'l be prepped for anything haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's all very true Saralee, all you have to go back to is the likes of that flight that got stuck in the andes turned into the movie alive. They eat their friends when they had to. Hunger will drive you to try eating just about anything, even things you know that could potentially kill you, because you will die if you don't eat and it's a very painful way to die.

The other thing to take into account is the fact that wild food is infinitely tastier than what we get in our supermarkets. A wild berry is twice the berry you'll get in the supermarket. Some things are so much better it's like the shops are stocking another fruit/vegetable that just looks something like the real thing.

The ways left open to you for cooking food might actually help to. Boiled vegetables are handy for us now, but unless you're carrying around a pot with you you may be essentially roasting or BBqing everything. Roasted vegetables are way nicer than boiled vegetables.

Wild food is a good way to go zombie apocalypse or not, wild fowl eggs will have a higher vitamin and mineral content in comparison to chicken eggs. Even if you buy free range they can be fed on GM feed which isn't labelled, when you think about it the soil in the ditches could actually have higher nutrients than the crop fields which haven't been allowed time in a fallow state to replenish.

Cattle..

These beasts will be able to free roam the Irish countryside once the farmers protecting them fail to feed and contain them. We might think of cows as docile creatures and they tend to be right now. We keep them well fed and happy in Ireland.

But the reality is they're the biggest mammal on the island, they regularly kill farmers completely by accident due to their massive bulk. I've been in fields with cows and they know the difference between the human that feeds them and everyone else. These days cows tend to avoid humans they don't know, but enter a field with calves or hungry cows and they will case you down and given half a chance they'll probably kill you.

We might think the cows we breed are so domesticated that they wouldn't be aggressive or able to survive on their own but there are examples of European cattle breeds going wild in the likes of Hawaii. Article here.

Even using a high power rifle you're unlikely to take down your average cow with one shot.

Once our native cattle go wild they'll probably have little or no tolerance for people, they'll likely be harassed by people and zombies. They'll quite likely attack anyone they see and shooting them will just make them angrier and will probably make them charge at you harder.

Cattle are going to be a major issue for any survivors. Free roaming cattle will be one of the most dangerous things you can come across walking down a country lane, there's very little that will be able to stop a rampaging cow.

Obviously the benefits of hunting cattle would be huge, they're mostly meat. In fact probably way too much meat for one person. There would be big benefits to trying to keep cattle but without proper management you probably won't be guaranteed milk out of them. Having cattle around your base of operation would give you an added layer of security as they'll probably get agitated by anyone or anything coming near them.

Cattle will be a high risk, high reward food item. It's probably pointless taking one on if your group is small as you will put your group in a lot of danger and probably won't be able to deal with all the food effectively. Best left for larger communities.

Again i must remind you of our species proficiency with all things pointed and stabby.

If you have enough people to eat a whole cow, you have enough people to hunt and kill it.

if you are lone wolfing it, sheep are a reasonable target

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Again i must remind you of our species proficiency with all things pointed and stabby.

If you have enough people to eat a whole cow, you have enough people to hunt and kill it.

if you are lone wolfing it, sheep are a reasonable target
    I'm not going anywhere near a cow with just a pointy stick. :D

The problem will also be that you're not going to be dealing with a cow in isolation. If the cows don't let you separate them out to find one that a your group could maybe take down you're completely screwed. If you look at lions chasing bison on the African plains the hunt can sometimes go wrong with the Bison realising the lions got one of them and the herd turning to attack the lions.

Spring time will make them very dangerous, once calves are in the mix the cattle will probably attack any human they come across (as bison do to lions and lion cubs) once they start to see us as the predatory animal that we are instead of their protectors.

Sheep could do with their own post, they're not exactly easy targets either. Sheep can be pretty vicious, I've been attacked by rams on a number of occasions, they're afraid of nothing. The ones I was attacked by are the rugged connemara sheep that are half wild.

apparently "22 people are killed in the U.S. every year". Jesus there are cows down the road from my house, Im not going near them or letting my daughter anywhere near them again, they are just waiting for their chance for payback on humans :)

you know what I don't get about cows though on a farm, this is really stupid but which cows are the male? the bull as far as I know right?

so all the other cows are female and the bull is usually kept separate so if that was the case then there are not many males left to breed in the event of apocalypse and a lot of the farms would die out especially if they are locked up?

In normal circumstances what happens all the male cows that are born as surely there are about an equal number of males as females born? are they killed for meat when they are young and the one bull is just kept? Im clueless on this obviously! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

ah c'mon, Americans getting killed by Cows can only mean one thing

RODEO!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7jBPEZ-fqI__BroTEna8Xdpq_U8BqByUF9KuAiXD6GA0gID6W

Yeeeha!

Advertisement