Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

G.K. wrote: »
    How old is Barnetta now?

Only 26

Interestingly, Rene Adler is available on a free aswell.

Will be a great Bosman signing for some club who needs an excellent goalkeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Please tell me Farfan is not one the players to sign a new deal? Would be quite happy if we could snap him up on a free tbh.

Figueroa is another one who would be decent back up for the left back spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jayob10 wrote: »
    With this talk of Diame on a bosman, here are a few more names of players who are available on a free. Obviously our record of signing free agents has been poor in recent years, but i'd like to think we could sign a Gary Mac from somewhere on this list :

(edit- some of these players may have signed new deals since this was posted)

Keepers
    Andres Palop, Rene Adler, Timo Hildebrand, Tim Wiese, Craig Gordon, Mark Schwartzer, Carlo Cudicini, Heurelho Gomes

Defenders
    Hedwiges Maduro, Eric Adibal, Luis Perea, Christian Chivu, Danijel Pranjic, Khalid Boulahrouz, Carlos Cuellar, Maynor Figueroa

Midfielders
    Flamini, Seedorf, Van Bommel, Tranquillo Barnetta, Jefferson Farfan, Tim Borowski, Mohamed Diame, Royston Drenthe, Marcos Senna, Ederson

Strikers
    Ivica Olic, Luca Toni, Raul, Pavel Pogrebnyak, Didier Drogba, Dimitar Berbatov, Hugo Rodellega, Cristian Tello, Salomon Kalou,

Hoilett would be the out of contract player I would hope we go after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Only 26

Interestingly, Rene Adler is available on a free aswell.

Will be a great Bosman signing for some club who needs an excellent goalkeeper

Yeah class keeper and still has plenty of years left in his career.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Hoilett would be the out of contract player I would hope we go after.

Any of those keepers would be decent cover (barring Adler who will be first choice for someone), if we got a decent fee for Doni/Jones.

Figueroa would be excellent cover at left back aswell

Barnetta or Farfan are not to be scoffed on a free either, Flamini would be good cover for Lucas and capable of playing alongside him too.

I'd take Tello but I imagine he will sign a new deal.

Just interesting to see whats available on a free, some signings out there that can act as good cover. For instance, we spent 2.5m, 2.8m and 3.5m on reserve keepers in the past few years (Doni, Jones and Cavalleri) which seems like money down the drain really.

Yeah class keeper and still has plenty of years left in his career.

Reina turns 30 in August

Adler turned 27 in January :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

With this talk of Diame on a bosman, here are a few more names of players who are available on a free. Obviously our record of signing free agents has been poor in recent years, but i'd like to think we could sign a Gary Mac from somewhere on this list :

(edit- some of these players may have signed new deals since this was posted)

Keepers
    Andres Palop, Rene Adler, Timo Hildebrand, Tim Wiese, Craig Gordon, Mark Schwartzer, Carlo Cudicini, Heurelho Gomes

Defenders
    Hedwiges Maduro, Eric Adibal, Luis Perea, Christian Chivu, Danijel Pranjic, Khalid Boulahrouz, Carlos Cuellar, Maynor Figueroa

Midfielders
    Flamini, Seedorf, Van Bommel, Tranquillo Barnetta, Jefferson Farfan, Tim Borowski, Mohamed Diame, Royston Drenthe, Marcos Senna, Ederson

Strikers
    Ivica Olic, Luca Toni, Raul, Pavel Pogrebnyak, Didier Drogba, Dimitar Berbatov, Hugo Rodellega, Cristian Tello, Salomon Kalou,

Adler, Flamini, Diame, Drenthe, Rodellega and Kalou from that list along with Aqua back and Reina and dead wood shipped out and I'd be happy to go into next season. Seriously.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Adler, Diame, Drenthe, Rodellega and Kalou from that list along with Aqua back and Reina and dead wood shipped out and I'd be happy to go into next season. Seriously.

Unless we were shipping out Reina and making Adler first choice, not a hope of him being number 2.

Ok hypothetical question.

Say funds were scarce this summer and we needed to sell to buy, what would fans make of a move to sell Reina (albeit for a huge offer) and replace him with Adler on a bosman? In order to distribute funds elsewhere in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Adler, Diame, Drenthe, Rodellega and Kalou from that list along with Aqua back and Reina and dead wood shipped out and I'd be happy to go into next season. Seriously.

Unless we were shipping out Reina and making Adler first choice, not a hope of him being number 2.

Say funds were scarce this summer and we needed to sell to buy, what would fans make of a move to sell Reina (albeit for a huge offer) and replace him with Adler on a bosman? In order to distribute funds elsewhere in the squad

Well I'd be on board, though he won't fetch a huge fee...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

cant undervalue his iconic status and influence in the dressing room too...he's not just a solid pair of hands between the sticks, he's deputy vice captain thingy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

El Spearo wrote: »
    cant undervalue his iconic status and influence in the dressing room too...he's not just a solid pair of hands between the sticks, he's deputy vice captain thingy

But he isn't a solid pair of hands between the sticks and hasn't been for years now.

Well I'd be on board, though he won't fetch a huge fee...

The ship may have sailed for him in terms of signing for any of the big clubs in England or Spain. Saying that, Malaga have the spending power.

But the Italian clubs may still have their eye on him, Milan or Inter particularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Didn't we [Arsenal] offer you something like £20m for Reina 2 seasons ago? I think we were in for Alonso too when you were mad to get rid of him for Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

But he isn't a solid pair of hands between the sticks and hasn't been for years now.

SLIGHT exaggeration there Willy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

There are no free players.

SLIGHT exaggeration there Willy

I dunno, dont think he's been great for 2/3 years now. Too many mistakes per season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Adler, Flamini, Diame, Drenthe, Rodellega and Kalou from that list along with Aqua back and Reina and dead wood shipped out and I'd be happy to go into next season. Seriously.

Diame, whilst being a good player, is nowhere near good enough for a club that will be aiming for the top 4/definitely aiming for Europa League. Mid-table player.

Rodellega is toilet and would struggle to score 10 goals a season if he played every week.

I like Flamini but he's a sicknote and hasn't played at all in 2011-2012.

Drenthe is absolute poison in a dressing room and would be a huge risk.

Adler has signed a 5 year deal with Hamburg.

Kalou would be a good signing.

Maybe this season has just sucked the life out of many Liverpool fans but nearly all of those players you have listed wouldn't help you at all IMO. Got to aim for better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

There are no free players.

Exactly.

Wouldn't have Kalou near the club to be honest. He has paycheck written all over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Also the reason most of these people are free is a combination or one of the following:
    • Their club want rid
    • They ran down their contract so they could get a move where they double their wages.

They should generally be avoided, danger zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Also the reason most of these people are free is a combination or one of the following:
    • Their club want rid
    • They ran down their contract so they could get a move where they double their wages.

They should generally be avoided, danger zone.

tumblr_lzk3rwDbw41qgkp9ho1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Absolutely love the new jersey!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Re Willy and Reina

It's only 8 months ago you were describing him as world class cool.gif

Maybe Reina has said to himself this summer or last christmas that he will give it one more season with Liverpool and if they dont get back into the champions league then its adios. Very plausible imo, you have to remember that this is a world class goalkeeper whos already probably feeling he has gone long enough without challenging for titles and if Liverpool dont make top 4 this season, that will be 3 seasons on the trot without CL football. Im not sure hell find that acceptable tbh and may want to move to pastures new.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74295475

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

@stephen1martin: Sorry, some misunderstanding. The Daily Mirror has reported that 'KD stays but there's a reduced budget'. Neither have been decided. #lfc

I don't really put much value in what he says but thought I would post it.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Re Willy and Reina

OPR and Rarnes coming up with the goods in consecutive days.

well-played-sir-thumb.jpgS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Re Willy and Reina

It's only 8 months ago you were describing him as world class

Ouch :pac:

• Advertisement

Re Willy and Reina

Players don't stop being world class after 12-18 months of form not being up to scratch. But if that form continues for another 8 months, then you have to accept that his standards have dropped.

Since Reina hasn't improved this season, it's now confirmed that he isn't world class anymore because he has been sub standard for over 2 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

proving once again that he'll always go against the grain when it concerns Liverpool

Players don't stop being world class after 12-18 months of form not being up to scratch. But if that form continues for another 8 months, then you have to accept that his standards have dropped.

Since Reina hasn't improved this season, it's now confirmed that he isn't world class anymore because he has been sub standard for over 2 years now.

Who confirmed it, and who set the official time scale?

cson wrote: »
    Didn't we [Arsenal] offer you something like £20m for Reina 2 seasons ago?

Yup, it had been reported Arsenal offered 20 mil for Reina....i doubt he would demand that fee now.....being honest i'd be against selling him....he's still a top 4 club keeper IMO

Turtyturd wrote: »

LOL....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

:D
    This is hilarious stuff. Do go on......

I confirmed it.

There are no official time scales when it comes to opinions turty.

I confirmed it.

There are no official time scales when it comes to opinions turty.

What methodology did you use to confirm this Willy?

And my limited research shows that 8 months appears to be the average time scale for a complete 180 degree shift in opinion.

What methodology did you use to confirm this Willy?

And my limited research shows that 8 months appears to be the average time scale for a complete 180 degree shift in opinion.

Ah turty, don't be over complicating things for yourself.

8 months is a long time in football to be fair. Liverpool were favorites for fourth spot back around then but now they're 14 points off it and have never looked further away.

I thought Reina was a world class player back then going through a poor year/18 months of form. But now that he hasn't improved in the last 8 months and has actually gone backwards, I don't think he's world class anymore.

Its not that hard to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm starting to understand that whatever points you debate are the polar opposite of how you truly feel .

8 months is a long time in football to be fair. Liverpool were favorites for fourth spot back around then but now they're 14 points off it and have never looked further away.

I thought Reina was a world class player back then going through a poor year/18 months of form. But now that he hasn't improved in the last 8 months and has actually gone backwards, I don't think he's world class anymore.

It's not that hard to understand that you have an opinion, which lets be honest doesn't count for much. What is hard to understand is where you get the idea that it is 'confirmed' that Reina is no longer world class. I would appreciate if you could explain this conclusion.

Also I can confirm 8 months in football is equal to 8 months outside of football to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

was reina not in great form last season? our player of the year and all? or was that the year before?

just checked it was 2010 he got it

redzerdrog wrote: »
    was reina not in great form last season? our player of the year and all? or was that the year before?

I can confirm Lucas was our player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Someone mark this post so we can come back in 8 months for another bit of backpeddling.

Outt******g the t****s since 2012.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

@stephen1martin: Sorry, some misunderstanding. The Daily Mirror has reported that 'KD stays but there's a reduced budget'. Neither have been decided. #lfc
    opr wrote: »
    I don't really put much value in what he says but thought I would post it.

Opr

A while ago I posted that Dalglish would be given a much reduced transfer budget & it caused a furore among some posters in this thread,seems I could be right all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

zerks wrote: »
    A while ago I posted that Dalglish would be given a much reduced transfer budget & it caused a furore among some posters in this thread,seems I could be right all along.

Someone get this man a gold medal!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Why? Where has it been reported other than the mirror? Really disappointing if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Someone get this man a gold medal!!!

Can I have a Blue Peter badge instead,always wanted one:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Who would have thought that Jaimie Kanwar was a boardsie. Hi Jaimie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think Kenny works better on the lower scale of transfers since he came back. And a reduced budget agaisnt last summer and winter could still be sizeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

No I am not undermining Kenny in any way. I am simply stating what the club did. They put in a young player/manager and brought in our most successful manager to help ease him into the role.

Are you seriousely comparing a well past it Bobby Robson and the hapless Staunton to the Dalglish/Paisley combo? Staunton was so useless as a manager it would not matter who was brought in to help him. :D

Dalglish on the other hand had plenty of raw managerial talent so having a great like Paisley helping him out allowed Dalglish to reach his potential quicker.

Have no idea why you brought one of your usual rants against Rafa into youyr reply to me when I mentioned nothing about Rafa.

And Liverpool FC have always eschewed hero worship? Really? For decades and decades it has been one of the clubs that has always lauded it's heroes. Shanks did it with many of his players, Bob did it, Joe did it, Kenny did it and so on, and in return the supporters placed those managers on pedestals as well.

Liverpool FC eschews heroes. What a joke of a statement. Better go check out who the gates are named after, whose has a nice big statue in front of the ground, and take a stadium tour and then come back to me and say the club has always eschewed heroes.

Surprised to see you of all people touting Sami for a managerial role, I would have thought that Carragher would be more your speed given some of your past comments about Carragher.
    This is just loopy stuff, Kess, absolutely loopy stuff!

The bootroom philosophy was that of the common man. From Shankly right up to Evans it was all about having a guy at the helm who discussed tactics over a cup of tea in the bootroom. It's a different type of hero, a working class hero and a man that the supporters could identify with. Kenny has the quality of being "one of us" and I welcome that type of manager to the club.

"One of my usual Rafa rants" - that's a bit petty. I'm not about to engage in a slagging match. You're happy to have a pop at me for my fairly reasonable opinions yet you expect others to that you seriously with your almost daily incredulous scouting reports about players from various obscure leagues around Europe. You may indeed know more about the positional play of a winger in the Turkish 2nd division and I applaud you for this. I simply do not have the time or interest to follow every single football league in the world.

You would see it's not an anti-Rafa rant if you took the time to consider my points without throwing a wobbler simply because I took you to task on a few issues. The Rafa comments are addressed at the general clamour for his return which another poster had mentioned. I think the call for Rafa to return is misguided.

I'm not comparing Stan & Robbo to Paisley and Dalglish. My point was simply that the buck stops with the manager. Of course Stan was a complete eejit. Bob Paisley wasn't giving the team talks. In your imagination, perhaps Paisley had a much bigger role, but in reality Kenny's success was unprecedented and you're kind of being unfair to the man for somehow excusing that success.

Kess - the sniping little Carragher comment is just daft, and deserving of contempt. I don't think Jamie Carragher has any management potential at all, nor do I think he should be in the first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

We'd be mad to sell Reina. Absolutely mad, it's so hard to find a good solid keeper and he should have a good few years left in him. I've watched far too many dodgy goalkeepers line out for Liverpool in the past were your heart was in your mouth any time a shot from distance went on target to want to risk another.

He's had one bad season. To be honest I wouldn't even say it was that bad. A few errors (can't remember anything i would describe as a howler) but he had plenty of games where he played grand.

Also goalkeepers seem to often only get judged on their saves they make or don't make. There's much more to being a goalkeeper than that imo, and you'd be hard pressed to find a goalkeeper with better distribution than Pepe.

We will be almost certainly weakening our squad if we were to sell him. I don't want to do that.

One of my favourite players Pepe, and I'm sure he'll bounce back next season. Was delighted with his reaction to making a great save from Lukaku when we were already 4-1 up. I think it shows that he knows he could have done better at times and that he still has the desire and drive to perform well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I think Kenny works better on the lower scale of transfers since he came back. And a reduced budget agaisnt last summer and winter could still be sizeable.

We have yet to really get a transfer budjet from our new owners though haven't we? I mean, dragging up the ol net spend argument again I know, but most of the money spent was made in the transfer market through either player sales or cutting the wage bill as far as I could gather.

In my eyes we'd have been lucky to get 30m in the two windows combined. Anything reduced on that and we can say goodbye to CL football tbh. Way too much needs to be strentghened and if last summer is anything to go by, 30m is definitely not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Dotsey wrote: »
    I would class Rafa as young, he's only 52. Which is 21 years younger than the great Trapattoni

People call say Chris Hughton young but he's nearly 54, just the perception of being in shorts or a tracksuit on the touchline rather than a suit might make Rafa appear older. Even Dalglish and O'Neill appear younger than Rafa and both of them are 60 and 61.
    It's a good point about his age. I certainly didn't think Hughton was older than Rafa.

Fingers crossed Hyppia will be a success. It would be great to have a young ex-player at the helm. You can't help but wish Di Matteo well at Chelsea. I hope he gets that job. AVB was a brave appointment but like I said the bigtime charlie camp had it in for him, and perhaps there was an element of that with Hodgson at Liverpool. I would welcome a statement of support for Kenny from FSG to get all this dirty speculation out of the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement