Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Where do we start?

Its easy to say if Robbo had scored the pen we would have been two up and then for what ever reason he decided to pass rather than shoot when unmarked 12 yards out bearing down on the keeper. That could have been 3.

The fact is from what I saw and feel free to shoot me down but defensively we were lacking on Friday. Webb had a shocker and Madden was done for position a few times. Birmingham showed some good stuff and is finding his feet but lacks quite a bit of pace for my liking, was skint a few times.

The big problem for me though was the gap between midfield and defense. You could drive a jumbo jet through it. Bohs exposed it and Derry countered through it for the 2nd. Robbo was great against Sligo but has been outplayed since. Twigg and Baker are starting to link well but Baker needs to do more of his share, scoring or not!

McGuire is needed back in the heart of things and maybe it would be an idea to move Robbo to the right and put Bradley in the middle. Robbo in the last two games makes great forward runs but leaves huge gaps in behind him. I think Bradley would hold it better and Robbo could still make the runs, all be it from the right side of the park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Turned full circle from a defensive mind last season (no goals against Cobh and 1 win in 9 against the relegation sides) to no defence this season?

Can't be as excruciating as last season was surely which was like a multiple car crash at times on the pitch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Webb has definitely looked shaky. The crowd on Friday sounded like they're already close enough to getting on his back which won't help. We're Rovers, not Ireland supporters.

I thought Bradley looked isolated at times when wide. He's the kind of player that should be more in the heart of things, even behind Twigg if not in midfield. Robbo might have a better time wide. The pitch size should probably be utilized for better wing play.

As others have noted, the players seem to be running out of steam before the end of the games too. Something that will hopefully improve as the season goes on.

Interesting that MON told us on Saturday that Padraig is in his plans, albeit that at the moment he's not doing enough to shift Twigg and Baker.

Twigg definitely, but Baker...

dfx- wrote: »

Baker is scoring at the moment!

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »

Like you, I have severe doubts about Dessie, but he's scored in the last two home games. Until that dries up, I'd say he's a shoo-in.

SectionF wrote: »
    I understand the sentiment, but it's a straight fight between football and GAA.

I'll support Franchise through this with gritted teeth even though it is sheer vandalism setting up a LoI club two miles from Bohs.

Never fear, there's more than one front to fight them on..
    Wednesday April 01 2009

CASTLEMAINE sportsfield, which is at the centre of a bitter dispute between local GAA and soccer clubs, was ploughed on the instructions of the GAA before the weekend.

Following the nighttime ploughing of the sportsfield, which is regularly used by the local soccer club, a hole was dug in the middle of Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA pitch late on Saturday night, forcing an under-21 game to be moved to another venue on Sunday afternoon.

County GAA Board Chairman Jerome Conway confirmed to The Kerryman that the sportsfield, which is the home ground of Castlemaine United soccer club, was ploughed on instructions from the GAA on Thursday. Soccer goalposts standing in the middle of the field are the only remaining evidence of sporting exploits there.

While local groups dispute the GAA's claim to exclusive ownership of the sportsfield, Mr Conway insisted the board had acted within its rights. In October, Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA Club was granted planning permission to redevelop the pitch, erect floodlights and construct a car park and associated services, despite an application from the soccer club for leave of appeal.

"The property belongs to the GAA and there's no debate about ownership as there is documentation there," Mr Conway stated, adding: "Of course the field was ploughed by the GAA".

Asked why the actions had been carried out in darkness, Mr Conway said he was unsure.

"The long term objective is to develop the pitch properly as there is a slope on it. We have been given a directive by Croke Park to use the property according to the rules and that's what we are doing," he added.

The actions mean that local soccer club Castlemaine United are now without a home ground, despite having used the pitch since their inception two decades ago. The suspension of GAA's Rule 42, banning soccer from the association's pitches, does not apply outside Croke Park.

The newly-formed Castlemaine Community Sportsfield Action Group — representing local community groups including Castlemaine United AFC — are furious that the GAA has had the pitch ploughed.

The group argues that the sportsfield was originally handed over to the general community by the Spring Walker family in 1936, had always been a community field and had merely been placed in the trust of the GAA. They point to carnivals, community fairs, sheep shearing, dog shows, tennis and basketball events held in the sportsfield to support their claim.

At a fiery meeting hosted by the group in Castlemaine Community Centre on Monday night, plans were initiated for a community-wide petition condemning the GAA's actions, with possible protest also planned outside Kerry County Board offices.

"This is the greatest bit of scamping I've seen for a long time," one angry action group member stated.

"Our group has had to resort to blockading and chaining. We will cover the entrance with cars every night if we have to," chairman Charlie Boyle stated.

Others present at Monday's meeting claimed the actions were "an insult to the children of the community". "Our event in June has gone, as has the Easter camp here," one stated.

"It is now very cheeky of the GAA club to come over and do their lotto draw in our village," the group's assistant PRO Brendan O'Reilly added.

The community group is now planning to reseed the pitch and a call for locals to help remove stones from the ground will be made in the coming days.

The action group is to lodge a petition with the Circuit Court seeking an injunction restraining Milltown Castlemaine GAA club from further interference at the site.

Meanhile, former senior captain of Milltown Castlemaine GAA club and player manager of Castlemaine United AFC, Jason Giles expressed his dismay at the recent developments and has decided to take action: "I will not be renewing my membership with Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA, a club I've been a lifelong member of. It's nothing against the players but I've been given no choice following this."

- KEVIN HUGHES khughes@kerryman.ie

The audacity is extraordinary :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

rednecks.

How much longer are the grassroots going to turn a blind eye to this.

we'll probably get more of the same "ah shure, it's nuttin' t'dew wit me" :rolleyes:

boggers to the last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Every now and again, just to give the lie to the spin that they are now a progressive organization, the GAA shows its true colours.

• Advertisement

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

It's not another April Fool stunt, is it?

I've said it once and I'll say it again. The GAA are Ireland largest Sectarian organisation, never mind anyone up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jayzus lads, ye let this slip to page 4??? Have ye nothin to talk about??? :D

What's the story with this?
    http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/pdfs/matchposters/vKildareA3.pdf?71cce52574d4d86948f2109dfa3ec02e=3d42f705328b65bfe2591a9f10bfa5a2

Is that likely to be a decent match, or are they trying to encourage attendance cos nobody gives a sh*t about the EA cup...? (I don't know anything about it)

I shall bring the oul lad if it's worthwhile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'd say it will be a trashing. Kildare got beaten 8-0 by Fingal a couple of weeks back, and in 5 games they've managed to concede 20 goals and just score 2.

Great promotion, as usual by Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Lad's what the hell is the EA Sports Cup????? I see Pat's are in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

monkey9 wrote: »
    Lad's what the hell is the EA Sports Cup????? I see Pat's are in!

League Cup, rebranded EA Sports Cup. Is it the first time there's been a sponsor for the League Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

At no stage did i near the news that the League Cup was being rebranded. That one really slipped under the radar!!

Got me tickets, now to learn the name of a player or two so that I don't get lynched for being a new guy :D

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Got me tickets, now to learn the name of a player or two so that I don't get lynched for being a new guy :D

This is the worst part of it all.

When I started going back to Shels regularly I felt like a girl asking my brother the player's names.

Chants too :D What name do they use instead of Ronnie's for VIVA RONALDOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...?

Viva Tomooooooooo!

Here you go, with pictures :)

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/teams/first-team/first-team-squad?71cce52574d4d86948f2109dfa3ec02e=5fa0da96c3af9d8ec8ba4bf0b5d3ed9d

Dave! wrote:
    Chants too

I'll get you started, lads feel free to jump in.

"Rovers, Rovers, Rovers...." say this over and over with one arm punching the air! :)

Hang on, just jotting them down on a bit of paper :D

"Rovers x lots, arm punching air"

Gotcha!

edit:

madden-simon.jpg

Kevin Bacon? :D He actually lives around the corner from me, used to hang around with him when I was a nipper. He any use?

He actually lives around the corner from me, used to hang around with him when I was a nipper. He any use?

Thats Madden and yeah good enough. A little naive at times and gets caught for position. I assume you live in millbrook lawns then? Wife is from there.

Yeah I live near the shops/school :)

Ye think the atmosphere will be good at this match? Or does nobody give a sh*te about it?

Ye think the atmosphere will be good at this match? Or does nobody give a sh*te about it?

It's the League Cup tbh, think The Carling Cup in your foreign league, but be about a million times less enthusiastic.

The only thing about this is that it's at the new stadium, that might add a bit of "oooooo we're still in the new shiney place" factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Rovers should definitely be taking the League Cup seriously. One of the 2 realistic chances of silverware they might have, they've a good enough side to beat anyone on their day, but they don't look to have the squad to win the league.

Cork game sold out.

• Advertisement

Any of ye lot at that match? By all accounts a rather huge turnout for a League cup game

I enjoyed it anyways, certainly played better than I had feared they would.

I don't think Kildare had a shot on goal...

Score:
    Rovers 3-0

Advertisement