Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild food in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

More than once i have seen programmes on discovery etc wher a lone african tribesman hunts a cow/gnu/widebeast.... alone, on foot, and armed only with a spear and a bottle of water.

6-8 organised well coordinated people with decent weapons should have no problem hunting and killing a cow

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Saralee4 wrote: »
    In normal circumstances what happens all the male cows that are born as surely there are about an equal number of males as females born? are they killed for meat when they are young and the one bull is just kept? Im clueless on this obviously! :)
    Girls make milk and boys make beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

apparently "22 people are killed in the U.S. every year". Jesus there are cows down the road from my house, Im not going near them or letting my daughter anywhere near them again, they are just waiting for their chance for payback on humans :)

you know what I don't get about cows though on a farm, this is really stupid but which cows are the male? the bull as far as I know right?

so all the other cows are female and the bull is usually kept separate so if that was the case then there are not many males left to breed in the event of apocalypse and a lot of the farms would die out especially if they are locked up?

In normal circumstances what happens all the male cows that are born as surely there are about an equal number of males as females born? are they killed for meat when they are young and the one bull is just kept? Im clueless on this obviously! :)

The Bull is male obviously and then you have the female cows but you also have 'bullocks' which are castrated males. If you're not used to them I can understand how it would freak you out when they start running down a hill towards you :). They're generally not hostile in my experience though, you just assert yourself and wave your hands and tell them to 'hoosh' or something similar.

The bulls are another story altogether and it's always wise to make sure there isn't one hidden amongst the cows before you decide to take a shortcut. I had the chase of my life when I was about twelve from a bullock, I used to feed him handfuls of grass and pet him as he was always very friendly, one day he turned on me and charged at me, I was 'low running' as Richard Pryor used to say, I don't even know if I could run that fast now to be honest.

I think if the worse came to worse and we needed to hunt a more aggressive version of them we'd have to use booby traps or divert them into crushes where you could slaughter them then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

are the bullox in the field with the female cows? they cant mate anyway because they are castrated. Awh that really is cruel. We are evil aren't we. The poor bullox cows don't even get to mate in their life because we castrate them!

I just wonder if most farms would die out fairly quick in the event of apocalypse because there is no bull to mate with the female cows if the farmer is dead and all the cows are locked up.

are the bullox in the field with the female cows? they cant mate anyway because they are castrated. Awh that really is cruel. We are evil aren't we. The poor bullox cows don't even get to mate in their life because we castrate them!
    Bulls go through a mating season I think. So their not like human males that are always looking, they only get the urge to mate at particular times of the year. I would guess castrated bulls don't get the urges at all if they've lost their balls.
    I just wonder if most farms would die out fairly quick in the event of apocalypse because there is no bull to mate with the female cows if the farmer is dead and all the cows are locked up.
    I think if cows start getting hungry and there's no sign of the farmer they'll just smash through the gates, walls or whatever else is standing in their way. If the apocalypse comes in winter they could be stuck in sheds and die.

Most cattle will probably just die out, we have to keep them feed during winter months so without that food many might die in the first year. Once the excess is gone they should establish a fairly healthy and stable population. Time will probably see forests growing back which would reduce cattle numbers slightly.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Bulls go through a mating season I think. So their not like human males that are always looking, they only get the urge to mate at particular times of the year. I would guess castrated bulls don't get the urges at all if they've lost their balls.

tly.

Yea it's kind of a sad life they have. On the other hand, would cows still exist if they weren't farmed today or do you reckon they would be extinct now? Probably only a few maybe they would live like wild deer?

Yea it's kind of a sad life they have. On the other hand, would cows still exist if they weren't farmed today or do you reckon they would be extinct now? Probably only a few maybe they would live like wild deer?
    Something like wild dear, although wild cattle probably have a greater range. They can live on plains or wooded areas, they would basically go where ever they want and wouldn't be quite as flighty as deer. Especially with a big bull around, he'd probably be looking for something to fight with to impress he's harem.

The Hawaiian example I posted above shows their more than capable of surviving on their own, it's just that in Europe they don't have anywhere they can roam without being under the management of humans. If society broke down cattle would go wild and more than likely get on quite well, they don't have much competition from other herbivores.

Cattle in Ireland have a fairly good life, they get to roam free and do what they love doing. Eating. They'd find it hard going the first year being on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's all coming out now, zombie apocalypse, no bother but we've learned what Scumlord is really afraid of, cows :p

It's all coming out now, zombie apocalypse, no bother but we've learned what Scumlord is really afraid of, cows :p
    I live in the countryside and have to pass them on a daily basis. They're clearly plotting something. :pac:

But these are the kind of realities that most zombie stories ignore. People won't be able to just wander out into the countryside and only have to worry about zombies and bandits. You'll try to hide from bandits roaming the road network only to find you've hopped into a field with a 2 tone bull in musth. Out of the frying pan into the fire.

Right so, this weekend we'll do a bit of Cattle rustling practice ;)

Lets all meet up at saras house

1) practice pointy stick manufacture
    2) hunting practice
    3) butchering
    4) making fire
    5) barbecue
    6) getting drunk

as a bonus we can cure scumlords phobia

• Advertisement

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Right so, this weekend we'll do a bit of Cattle rustling practice ;)

Lets all meet up at saras house

1) practice pointy stick manufacture
    2) hunting practice
    3) butchering
    4) making fire
    5) barbecue
    6) getting drunk

as a bonus we can cure scumlords phobia

Ha ye and I know plenty of evil cows out my way scumlord so youl have no problem finding a way to face your phobia! You can start with that neighbour that keeps parking in front of my drive, shes a real cow haha :)

There is a really good documentary about Chernobyl where it tracks native animals of the region and shows how they are flourishing. It's o YouTube, well worth a look.

So with that in mind, how long before the cow herds of the country go back to a more natural state, IE not being milked twice a day etc. how long before mastitise isn't an issue. I'd assume one breeding season would sort it.

yea ive seen that documentary I think, is it the one with the wild cat living in the abandoned house? and they talk about radioactive wolves too I think?

It was the one where they looked at the massive fish in the lakes that was used to cool the reactors. They also showed how a pony population who used to be native to the region have made a comeback.

they did a study on a mole type mammal over years and Surprisely they didn't show overly high levels of radiation and mutations were in line with populations in non affected areas. Overall they were surprised with how quickly nature is reclaiming the environment.

Is anyone watching
    The Island- with Bear Gryllis

very interesting and somewhat relevant to this thread, granted they are on a tropical island, but they face a lot of the sa e challenges we would, fire, shelter water food...

Distrubing new development on the cow problem posted in After hours.

Cow eats sheep.

Now there's the possibility of flesh eating cows during a zombie apocalypse. It could all depend on how tasty our grass is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

In an apocalyptic scenario food would be plentiful in Ireland. Why wild food? We are an country with huge agriculture and horticulture crops and very few live people to eat and harvest them. If food is not harvested it goes to seed and grows again. Pretty much everything that grows In a field will continue to do so for years to come. There will be acres and arcres of abandoned glasshouses and polytunnels to grow less hardy crops although, while watering may pose initial problems, rainwater gathering isn't rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

To delve into cow-gate a bit more ..... I think (no science or experience here) that the cows are currently so large because they are docile, regularly fed, and protected (against disease, predators, etc), so wouldnt they be smaller & thinner if returned to the wild? OK, they wont be sheep-size, but notably leaner and less populous. Also, they dont have natural predators (at the moment), but wild dog packs after the ZA would surely take down the young & small.

In an apocalyptic scenario food would be plentiful in Ireland. Why wild food? We are an country with huge agriculture and horticulture crops and very few live people to eat and harvest them. If food is not harvested it goes to seed and grows again. Pretty much everything that grows In a field will continue to do so for years to come. There will be acres and arcres of abandoned glasshouses and polytunnels to grow less hardy crops although, while watering may pose initial problems, rainwater gathering isn't rocket science.
    Our agriculture would need to be managed, while it's true that they'd go to seed they'd be in competition with all the native wild plants. Remember that all our grains are not native, they have followed the human race all the way from the middle east. I think it would be unlikely that they could out compete weeds and once forests start to take over again they'll be fighting over smaller and smaller plots of land.

I think even after one or two years we could find that many of the typical farmed crops are hard to find or eradicated by hardier native plants.

To delve into cow-gate a bit more ..... I think (no science or experience here) that the cows are currently so large because they are docile, regularly fed, and protected (against disease, predators, etc), so wouldnt they be smaller & thinner if returned to the wild? OK, they wont be sheep-size, but notably leaner and less populous. Also, they dont have natural predators (at the moment), but wild dog packs after the ZA would surely take down the young & small.
    Wild dogs would probably go for sheep first. They did in the past before there was the big campaign to keep your dogs locked up at night. Our dog population will probably wittle itself into one or two breeds of wild dog which could be capable of taking out sick cattle.

The numbers of cattle will more than likely drop, most cattle are segregated by sex, so many cows may not find a bull to impregnate them. With no humans to feed them in winter many may die off and may strip the countryside in the process eating whatever's available. But once the excess is wiped out they should be able to establish themselves and thrive. I don't know that they'll get any smaller.

Forests regrowing will limit the spread of many animals, cows won't have big pastures to roam, dogs won't have large areas to try and run down their prey.

Without humans these crops will dissappear within 2-3 seasons. The reason is nitrogen. Crops consume nitrogen from the soil, farmers replace that nitrogen, either by modern methods such as industrial fertilizer, or more traditional methods such as crop rotation, clover and natural fertilizers from livestock.

without human management the first years seed would grow too densley choking itself out before maturation, the subsequent years would yield sparser and sparser crops until nature reclaimed the land.

also we select seed to artificially promote characteristics we desire, the vegetables remaining after a natural cycle may be of little use to us.

Spuds for example if left to revert to their natural state would become toxic to us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I wonder will we see a return of some of the wild animals that have been killed off? OK .... I understand that if they were killed off 100%, they cant spontaneously materialism .... but if, for example, there are a few wolves or boars (privately owned, zoos, etc), then could we see a comeback in any significant numbers?

Are there any plants that are being suppressed by large populations / farming that could make a comeback?

I wonder will we see a return of some of the wild animals that have been killed off? OK .... I understand that if they were killed off 100%, they cant spontaneously materialism .... but if, for example, there are a few wolves or boars (privately owned, zoos, etc), then could we see a comeback in any significant numbers?

Are there any plants that are being suppressed by large populations / farming that could make a comeback?
    Forests would be the big one, this island was originally covered in trees.

There are wolves in Dublin zoo, there are probably a handful of hybrids out there too. But I would say there numbers are too small to realistically establish a healthy population. Dogs could go wild instantly though, they would form into very large packs, much larger than a wolf pack.

With humans gone it would leave a massive gap, extinctions tend to be good for the creatures left over as it leaves a gap for them to fill. It's hard to know what would happen though. Maybe cattle numbers explode, and they strip the countryside killing off all kinds of vegetation and disturbing the food chain so that other animals have nothing to eat.

Maybe the forest grow back and leave no place for cattle and large predators like wolves to form large packs.

We should see a pickup in animals like hawks, badgers and all the other animals farmers kill.

Advertisement