Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defeat in Syria

Options
  • 10-06-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭

Is the victory of Assad the first major international set back for the west since 9/11?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Is the victory of Assad the first major international set back for the west since 9/11?

Tell us what you really think caller. Go on, go on, go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

IMO, yes but it's not Assad as 9/11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

There were a lot of fundamentalists lining up to take over. Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I look at the conflict and I think, "the devil you know".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

probably not, no one seems to really care what's going on there or who wins. Either way the country will end up ****ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Very bad question.
    "Is the victory of Assad"
    This could mean Assads victory or Victory over Assad.
    I cannot answer until you clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Very bad question.
    "Is the victory of Assad"
    This could mean Assads victory or Victory over Assad.
    I cannot answer until you clarify.

I don't understand your confusion.

How can anyone confuse the victory of with the victory over?

Its a basic phrase.The victory of Man Utd would be interpreted by most people that they won.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I don't want Assad in charge but I also don't want the factions trying to take control in charge either.

I should be in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

It cannot mean victory over Assad. It's in the Tuiseal Ginideach ('of').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...it may not end with a "win" but with a long, miserable campaign of low level slaughter that will drag on for years. Of course if it does end in a win, there'll be a big purge with a high level of slaughter, so either way......

I'm not convinced one can simplify it into saying its the west v Assad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

Is the victory of Assad?

This is news to me?

He's carrying out a major offensive on Aleppo (probably as we speak)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

America wasn't expecting this resistance in their war memo, "7 countries in 5 years war plan".

I would say yes it is the first setback since 9/11...

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Assad is a far, far better candidate than is what would replace him if these 'rebel armies' won. What we'd have is another govt under the black flag of Salafist Islam, of a similar flavour as the rulers of Saudi Arabia/former Afghanistan.

Whereas Assad protects the assorted ethnicities and religions of his country, the new government would inflict a blood bath not unlike in post-Gadaffi Libya (which does not get aired in the 'Western media' i.e. killing of black Africans, other religions, political rivals etc).

Also, it's not a setback for the West (it would be better to interact with Assad, like Russia and others), but for the vested interests embedded in the Western establishment Assad is not a friend to their cause, as well as being a thorn in the side of Zionist Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Can you imagine what would happen, if FOX and NBC were to show the genocide of the the black Africans in Libya and the slaughter of the 10% population of Aleppo who who are christian.

By the so called rebels "mercenaries" that their tax dollar and government is supplying weapons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

not much talk of wmd this time,we are only getting the pro israeli biased propaganda crap

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

0066ad wrote: »
    Can you imagine what would happen, if FOX and NBC were to show the genocide of the the black Africans in Libya and the slaughter of the 10% population of Aleppo who who are christian.

What CNN, NBC, BBC, RTE etc report is taken as gospel among the population as you well now. People are expected to follow suit or one is soon at risk of being labelled a 'conspiracy theorist' -which is really little more than paranoid liar to most people.

Yet in Libya the group that were seen as the most supportive of Gaddafi, like black Africans and certain Berber tribes, along with Islamic Sufism are paying the price.

It's created huge geopolitical problems as Morocco pushes it's million man army in to North-Western Sahara and creates 10,000's of refugees due to it's claims there, all because of a knock-on affect of a weak Libya, Egypt, Algeria. Israel pushing North and South. This could all easily spiral out of control, and the western democracies now have their mandate to stay - to 'keep the peace' via war.

All conspiracy theory no doubt, but only because Westerners today have been thoroughly depoliticized - never considering arguments based on political merit - but on slogans and hastily made parliamentary majorities.

Modern man has no politic, no information. Bring him a grain of truth and of course he'll be taken aback. It's bread and circuses at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The west has done little but score own goals since 9/11. Thousands of dead and injured soldiers. Trillions of dollars wasted. Tens of thousands dead in Iraq and Afghanistan. Thousands of people radicalized across the M.E. because of it.

What a fucking mess.

Advertisement