Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And the Nobel goes to...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'm liking those choices. Far more pertinent than mechanism design imho.

Part of me says Goe Team Sargent and Sims! (Though part of that is because Tom gave a talk to us last year and I was in a lift with him, awe-struck.) Does the contribution of RE deserve the nod?

Then part of me says Goe Team NBER Marty, for obvious reasons. Though I've taken a dislike to him lately.

And then of course it'd be nice if the regulation of utilities got the nod. But how up their own arse would UCLA be after that?

Hmm. Still, I'd be quite surprised if any of these guys actually did win it. I'm expecting something from way out-field. Too soon for Whelan and McQuinn? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Too soon for Whelan and McQuinn? :pac:
    Haha! They just need a little more crust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

I think it should go to Joseph E. Stiglitz
    He shared in the 2001 prize for his work on asymetric information.
    He has recently published work which has tried to etimate the cost of the war in Iraq to the American Taxpayer called "The 3 Trillion Dollar War"
    Its both topical and important.
    Too populist to get the prize maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Stiglitz's recent work is nowhere near as big an advance in the field as Hansen, Sargent and Sims' lifetime work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

eamonnm79 wrote: »
    I think it should go to Joseph E. Stiglitz
    He shared in the 2001 prize for his work on asymetric information.
    He has recently published work which has tried to etimate the cost of the war in Iraq to the American Taxpayer called "The 3 Trillion Dollar War"
    Its both topical and important.
    Too populist to get the prize maybe?
    I'm lost for words; lost for words that won't get me banned. I'll just say: No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭EGaffney

Stiglitz's recent work is nowhere near as big an advance in the field as Hansen, Sargent and Sims' lifetime work!

You seem awe-struck by Tom Sargent. I've heard he isn't all that good at the history of economic thought.

I also vote Sargent.

For no other reason then I was in the lift with him at the same time.

Seriously though, he really does deserve one.

Advertisement