Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The girls name Íde

Options
  • 18-06-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering what diminutives exist for the name Íde in Irish. For example, would it be correct to add "ín" to to form: Ídín?

I've seen the name spelt with the fada: Ide. Is this also a correct Irish spelling of the name?

Is the name Ída a related name? Is it pronounced different or is it an old spelling of Íde?

Thanks,

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

BarraOG wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering what diminutives exist for the name Íde in Irish. For example, would it be correct to add "ín" to to form: Ídín?

I've seen the name spelt with the fada: Ide. Is this also a correct Irish spelling of the name?

Is the name Ída a related name? Is it pronounced different or is it an old spelling of Íde?

Thanks,

Barry

I've never come across Ída but Íde always has the fada on the 'I'.
    Don't think Ídín exists yet, but if you like it there's nothing to stop you from going ahead with it, however, the 'e' seems to me to be integral to the name Íde and so adding an -ín doesn't work for it.
    In Ulster and Connacht the 'd' comes out like the English 'j'.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

Thanks very much for the reply! How is Íde pronounced in Clare/Munster Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Like ee-deh

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Clare Irish is now extinct, but in the North of the county it would have been pronounced similar to the Connacht pronunciation with the d similar to an English j.

In the rest of Munster, ee-deh as mentioned above.

Advertisement