Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 28-01-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Consider myself to be relatively tech-savvy but I'm having trouble deciding how to finish off my media/home entertainment setup.

First I'll state what hardware I currently have and where it's positioned. Then I'll say what I want to acheive. Finally I'm hoping you can give me some idea of new purchases required (SW or HW) and any extra cabling needed to acheive the aims!!

Cabling:
    1 x Attic aerial receiving Saorview with dual splitter
    1 x sky mini dish with quad LNB
    1 x Eircom BB (up to 7MB :( )

Living Room

- 1 x Samsung 46UEF6500 to be bought over next few weeks (Smart, 3D, Full HD, DLNA)
    - 2 x Sat cables coming from sky mini dish

Sitting Room
    - 1 x 32LG7000 (Full HD, no smart/wifi or 3d capability)
    - 1 x sat cable
    - 1 x aerial connection
    - 1 x Phone point

Bedroom
    - 1 x 24 inch LG (Smart/Wifi/DLNA)
    - 1 x aerial connection
    - 1 x phone point (not beside TV)

Hall
    - 1 x Eircom standard router (netgear)
    - 1 x phone point

Study
    - 1 x apple macbook (2007 version)
    - 1 x WD external HD 500GB
    - 2 x Toshiba 500GB passport external HD
    - 1 x phone point
    - 1 x HP elitebook with Windows 7 (work LT)

Aims:
    1. To be able to have a central store of photos , music and videos available wirelessly throughout the house to all TV's, laptops and smartphones.
    2. To have saorview and satellite at a minimum in the living room (If possible, duplication of Sky from sitting room would be nice)
    3. To be able to connect more than 4/5 users wirelessly to the network
    4. To be able to record soarview in the living room
    5. To be able to view Saorview and netflix in the bedroom with option to play movies from central store.

Hope this all makes sense and if anything is unclear just ask. I'll appreciate any feedback however simple or complex it is!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lepoatnam

Sorry to piggyback on your thread I hope you don't mind. I’m looking to do something similar in my house but am confused by some of the other threads here and in HE in general (Amiko Alien boxes etc). I don't know what to do and am confused, any pointers gratefully appreciated.

Every room has Ariel connection & RJ45 sockets – wired, cables all brought to hotpress, not connected to anything and no RJ45 connector on the ends of the cables.

We can see the Satellite Channels in other rooms but obviously you have to watch what others are watching, so it’s not multiroom.

My setup is as follows:

Cabling
    1 x outside aerial receiving Saorview
    1 x Vodafone Broadband

Living Room
    - 1 x Sony TV (KDL-40W4500)
    - 1 x Sky+ HD with Wireless Controller for OnDemand
    - 2 x Sat cables coming from Satellite Dish
    - 1 x Sony DAV-SC5 Surround Sound DVD system
    - 1 x Pentium 4 PC (own build)

Kitchen
    - 1 x Sony TV (KDL-32EX523)
    - 1 x aerial connection

Bedroom 1
    - 1 x 32 inch LG TV (32LS3500)
    - 1 x Logitech Squeezebox system

Study/Office/Games Room
    - 1 x 26 inch Philips (non Saorview TV)
    - 1 x Vodafone Huawei Modem/WiFi Router
    - 1 x PS3
    - 1 x Logitech z5500 Surround Sound Speakers
    - 1 x QNAP TS-109 ProII
    - 1 x phone point

Aims:
    Similar to above, thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

Hi Stooge.

1) Get a Nas Drive. Essentially a HDD connected to the web that can be accessed by basically anything on the same network (TV, Laptop, Tablet)

2) Ditch the samsung and buy a dual tuner DT65/WT65 Panasonic. These TVs have a two satellite and two terrestrial tuners built in. When you add a HDD you have full blown PVR functionality.

You can also use one tuner to stream a TV channel to your bedroom tv via DLNA (whilst simultaneously watching something else on the main TV)

3) Dual band Reuter. Use 2.4 band for everyday stuff and prioritise 5ghz for VOD.

4) see two

5) buy a set of home plugs for the best netflix connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

lepoatnam wrote: »
    Sorry to piggyback on your thread I hope you don't mind. I’m looking to do something similar in my house but am confused by some of the other threads here and in HE in general (Amiko Alien boxes etc). I don't know what to do and am confused, any pointers gratefully appreciated.

Every room has Ariel connection & RJ45 sockets – wired, cables all brought to hotpress, not connected to anything and no RJ45 connector on the ends of the cables.

We can see the Satellite Channels in other rooms but obviously you have to watch what others are watching, so it’s not multiroom.

My setup is as follows:

Cabling
    1 x outside aerial receiving Saorview
    1 x Vodafone Broadband

Living Room
    - 1 x Sony TV (KDL-40W4500)
    - 1 x Sky+ HD with Wireless Controller for OnDemand
    - 2 x Sat cables coming from Satellite Dish
    - 1 x Sony DAV-SC5 Surround Sound DVD system
    - 1 x Pentium 4 PC (own build)

Kitchen
    - 1 x Sony TV (KDL-32EX523)
    - 1 x aerial connection

Bedroom 1
    - 1 x 32 inch LG TV (32LS3500)
    - 1 x Logitech Squeezebox system

Study/Office/Games Room
    - 1 x 26 inch Philips (non Saorview TV)
    - 1 x Vodafone Huawei Modem/WiFi Router
    - 1 x PS3
    - 1 x Logitech z5500 Surround Sound Speakers
    - 1 x QNAP TS-109 ProII
    - 1 x phone point

Aims:
    Similar to above, thanks for any help.

Hi,

Considering you are pre-wired I would look into HdBaseT. You could potentially have everything in living room pumped round the house TV via Ethernet.

Otherwise, much the same as above!

Advertisement