Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming Disability Allowance

• 27-08-2011 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello, this is my first post.

In April I applied for disability allowance due to my chronic depression. I've suffered with it since I was 16 (I'm 23 now). The last couple of years have been pretty awful. My parents split up, which was messy, i had to leave work due to the fact I was unstable, and self-harming on lunch hour (pretty stupid). I was gutted that I had to leave as I love working, but i don't want to be a risk to the shop. I've been hospitalized a couple of times (arms are slashed) and had to attend a psychiatric unit.My meds are quite strong (225 mg of effexor and 15mg of abilify). I feel real unhappy with life, and have recurring nightmares and thoughts of suicide daily. I had a medical during the summer, and it lasted 2 mins. The doctor was nice, but knew I was genuine. My doctor is very concerned for me, but i'm trying my best.

I wanted to give a brief description, before I asked this question. I feel real guilty for applying for disability. I feel there are much worse people off than me, but both my family and G.P. told me to pursue the allowance, as I need stability. I still can't accept that i'm ill, so applying for disabilty has been difficult for me as i feel for some reason someone deserves it more than me.

I got a call last week from a lovely woman who said i'll be receiving a letter next week to confirm my payment. I'm happy but also determined to get back to work, which hopefully will happen someday.

Am I fraud for claiming this allowance?

I've been told my allowance will be back-dated too, which I don't think is true as I was receiving illness benefit. Maybe I'm wrong. (my claim was received on 20th of April).

If anyone had advice, or reassurance for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Have a nice day,

Alan.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Moved from state benefits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Don't feel guilty about claiming the disability allowance.

True there are many people out there worse off than us but the fact you admit that shows that you aren't the type who takes it for granted. Its the people who never realise there are poorer people out there who are in the wrong.

And there are lots of charities set up to help the people worse off so they are being supported on a daily basis no matter how much you hear about it on TV.

Also the disability allowance is no different from say the social welfare benefits, which are given to adults unemployed or the old age pension for retired people.

The money is there to support us as state citizens and to ensure we can avail of our basic human needs like food, clothes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

You're obviously not a fraud, because you cannot work due to your mental health issues! If a person with PArkinson's was unable to work due to their illness, would they be a fraud for claiming disability benefit? Nope, just like you being depressed does not make you a fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Moritz Bismarck

I appreciate the re-assurance. Does my claim get back dated, even though I was on illness benefit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 killeoinisback

Hi OP,

I'm afraid I can't help you with regard to whether your claim will be backdated or not but I would like to reassure you about not being a fraud.

I know of several people claiming disability with years who in my opinion are in no way disabled. A close friend of mine has been claiming with years due to a slipped disk in his back 8 years ago. He ran a marathon last year and is in training for next years one already. This is just one example.

People like this are frauds, you are not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Billy7878

Hi OP,

I'm afraid I can't help you with regard to whether your claim will be backdated or not but I would like to reassure you about not being a fraud.

I know of several people claiming disability with years who in my opinion are in no way disabled. A close friend of mine has been claiming with years due to a slipped disk in his back 8 years ago. He ran a marathon last year and is in training for next years one already. This is just one example.

People like this are frauds, you are not.
    hey slow down there on the so callled friend bashing, doesnt sound like you are friends from what i read here, maybe jealous frenemies would suit better, just because your acquaintance has a slipped disc doesnt mean he cant run, it means he shouldnt lift things or sit for long periods as the disc is ruptured, running is known to be therapy for a slipped disc as it stretchs the nerves and loosens up the body for your friend

Also OP, the nature of depression is that you feel guilty, it is often all part of the illness, just take it into account that this is a symptom and let yourself off the hook, most good people don't judge others harshly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 killeoinisback

Billy7878 wrote: »
    hey slow down there on the so callled friend bashing, doesnt sound like you are friends from what i read here, maybe jealous frenemies would suit better, just because your acquaintance has a slipped disc doesnt mean he cant run, it means he shouldnt lift things or sit for long periods as the disc is ruptured, running is known to be therapy for a slipped disc as it stretchs the nerves and loosens up the body for your friend

With due respect the purpose of my post was to help the OP.
    I cannot see anything in your post bar an attack on mine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I appreciate the re-assurance. Does my claim get back dated, even though I was on illness benefit?

Your claim will be awarded from the date you applied. If you have been submitting Illness Benefit certs and getting paid along on the back of these, there will be little if no arrears due to you - that is you won't be paid on the double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Moritz Bismarck

thank you for your replies.

cee-jay: are you saying that because i was receiving illness benefit, i will receive no arrears? To be honest, i thought this myself, but just wanted to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Hey OP,

I want to agree with the others. You are entitled to this payment, the doctor wouldn't be encouraging you if you weren't. Don't worry, the SW won't give you a double payment they'll only backdate it to a period when you weren't getting paid. It certainly sounds like the guilt is part of the depression. I really hope you feel better soon, stop beating yourself up you're going through enough as it is!

The very best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement