Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not allowed BTEA

• 26-08-2011 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I attended DIT doing a 2 year course when i was younger im 26 now. I failed 2nd year of the course and now would like to repeat it.

It appears i cant claim BTEA as its a repeat. It is financially impossible for me to undertake this without it.

I have 2 options sit on social welfare for another year twiddling my feet or could i possibly undertake the course and just draw the social welfare.

Is there any more legal route for me that people could suggest?

If i did go down the route of taking my payments while attending college what are the chances of been caught and what are the repercussions?

I hope i do not get attacked in this thread as people need to remember that i will have to outlay a few thousand just to repeat the year. Then i have the extra costs of attending college. This is in no way similar to working/drawing the dole.

Anyway heres hoping someone could offer an alternative.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

According to this you are entitled to the BTEA for the repeat year.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/bte_all.aspx

1.14.7 Repeat years:

BTEA participants who have to repeat a year of their course will continue to be paid the allowance for the repeat year. This is provided that the BTEA participant is registered and attending as a FULL-TIME student for the repeat year. Repeat students who register as external students, exam only students or part-time students for their repeat year are not eligible for the allowance. A person will only be allowed to repeat one academic year of their course of study on the basis of exam failure and/or exceptional circumstances,evidence of such to be provided. eg due to illness, pregnancy, force majeure reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DubDubmeow

1.14.7 Repeat years:

BTEA participants who have to repeat a year of their course will continue to be paid the allowance for the repeat year. This is provided that the BTEA participant is registered and attending as a FULL-TIME student for the repeat year. Repeat students who register as external students, exam only students or part-time students for their repeat year are not eligible for the allowance. A person will only be allowed to repeat one academic year of their course of study on the basis of exam failure and/or exceptional circumstances,evidence of such to be provided. eg due to illness, pregnancy, force majeure reasons.

Il bring this to the attention of the social welfare office. This appears to be for someone who started the course with the BTEA. This of course makes it even more ridiculous that i cant receive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

1.14.7 Repeat years:

The most obvious factor here in the wording is BTEA participants. I am presuming the OP was not a BTEA participant when he/she first started college.

With regard to OP just doing this course and collecting JSA it is a no no. SW will be informed that you are attending college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There is no proper appeal system in place for this application but you can get someone higher than the deciding officer to look at the case. (I was told this today in my local SWO). Maybe find out how you can do this and state that you will have to go on the social as you cannot afford to support yourself on the course.

Do not try to claim at the same time. This is illegal.

Advertisement