Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian or Brían

Options
  • 09-07-2014 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I'm looking at baby names and was wondering if "Brian" can be spelt "Brían" in order for it to have the same pronunciation in both English and Irish, that is: Bree-an. Will people automatically say Bryan if they see Brian?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Brian is the correct way to spell the name in Irish.

Brían is a spelling that goes against the rules of Irish spelling and pronunciation. It doesn't stop other people spelling their name that way.

Also, I have never met an Irish-speaking Brian who doesn't mind people pronouncing it as 'Bryan'.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

Brian is the correct way to spell the name in Irish.

Brían is a spelling that goes against the rules of Irish spelling and pronunciation. It doesn't stop other people spelling their name that way.

Also, I have never met an Irish-speaking Brian who doesn't mind people pronouncing it as 'Bryan'.

Thanks for clearing that up! I've also seen Cian and Rian with a fada. I presume then that this is also incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

BarraOG wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up! I've also seen Cian and Rian with a fada. I presume then that this is also incorrect.

Yep, they're incorrect as well.

Advertisement