Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun commuting?

Options
  • 28-08-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

iv been hearing commuting is a load of bull. me and a load of mates have to start commmuting to college an hour and a half daily by bus, anybody got ideas how to make the bus ride a load of crack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

iv been hearing commuting is a load of bull. me and a load of mates have to start commmuting to college an hour and a half daily by bus, anybody got ideas how to make the bus ride a load of crack?

I used to commute to Ennis from Galway last year for work, I found talk radio to be great. I got to like listening to Hector. Plus a big ass cup of coffee is also great. You kinda get into a routine and is nice in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Audiobooks and podcasts for me- they make the commute seem too short!

C635

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Electronic devices are key: smartphone, iPad, laptop, ebook reader.

Watch a movie, tv shows, surf the web, listen to music, read a book, listen to radio/pod casts. Whatever type of entertainment you enjoy.

What I find key to public transport use is good in ear canal headphones, these block out almost all the noise of the bus/train/plane and make it easier and more enjoyable to focus on the music, movie, etc.

Just don't wear these types of headphones while walking around, you will hear nothing, so big chance you will be run over! I always carry two pairs of headphones, canal phones for on the bus and standard iPhone headphones for walking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Having recently read an entire book on a tablet, it's something you get used to quite quickly. If I had a long commute like that, a 32GB tablet would be my best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Polar101

Talk radio (podcasts), audiobooks - I actually enjoy my commute because of that. But it's less than 45 minutes one way, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Polar101 wrote: »
    Talk radio (podcasts), audiobooks - I actually enjoy my commute because of that. But it's less than 45 minutes one way, though.
    now that you mention it, theres some podcasts like the BBC 5 film review that is sometimes tipping 2 hours in length and the time flies when youre listening to it with interviews and banter galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

On the subject of headphones, I may be a little different to others on here, but I still like to be aware of what is going on around me. Possibly because I listen to spoken word (audiobooks/podcast) rather than music, I don't find the outside noise distracting.

So what I do is use a mono headphone, with single earpiece.

Blackberry do a good one which works perfectly well with my iPhone, and it includes a mic and the usual controls mid cable.

This is great for me - I can be immersed in my book, but still aware of noises, announcements etc around me.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Just do the same thing you'll end up doing in college. Go on boards and facebook all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

How about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Magazines.

Not just any magazines, but THOSE ones.

You know the sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ditch the bus and zorb to college

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 24 farrelbot96

what to do with 6-10 lads on the bus to make it fun??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Play eye spy.

Realistically all you can do is sit down and chat other than what's already been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I don't find commuting boring at all. So much choice. Especially if you spend the extra ~€10 a month to get data on your phone.

In fact, I find it more boring with other people because it's inpolite to put in your headphones but there's f*ck all to talk about after 20 minutes, especially if it's daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Indoor 3-5 aside football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Sit down.... be quiet.

There are other people using the bus.

(spoil sport I am!)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Definitely your favourite music and something to read or browse the net.

I kind of like travelling in a way, it's a nice way to relax till you get to your destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

how about some studying?

Advertisement