Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Dublin to Cork tomorrow

Options
  • 29-08-2013 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All,

I need to drive from Dublin to Cork tomorrow afternoon, leaving Dublin at about 3pm.
    The obvious route would be M7/M8, however Electric Picnic traffic will surely be a factor at around 4.00-4.30.
    Does anyone know how bad it gets? Would I better off avoiding it completely and going on the M9 instead?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Traffic will be very heavy from the Red Cow all the way to the exit for the M9. So that part of the route is probably unavoidable no matter which way you go.

After that, its probably going to move ok, maybe not 120 km/h, but certainly not worth going down the M9 to take much slower roads from either Kilkenny or Waterford.

I'm not traveling down tomorrow, but if I was, and I do it a lot, I'd stick to the M7/8.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Colm R wrote: »
    Traffic will be very heavy from the Red Cow all the way to the exit for the M9. So that part of the route is probably unavoidable no matter which way you go.

The EP website and my Garmin Mapsource (digital mapping and navigation s/w) and Google Maps all say that the recommended route from the Red Cow to Stradbally is on the M7 to the first Portlaoise exit (J16) and from there to Stradbally. http://www.electricpicnic.ie/travel1

In which case the OP needs to avoid the M7 before Portlaoise altogether.

What about the M4/M6 to the Kinnegad exit, then go left for the N52 to Tullamore (bypass), continue on the N80 via Mountmellick to Portlaoise and then take the M8 to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Stick with m7/m8 they merge at some point and then seperate. Might take longer going by m4 and down by tullamore but up to you op how you get onto m7/m8. Avoid m9 if traffic be bad there for electric picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

doovdela wrote: »
    Stick with m7/m8 they merge at some point and then seperate.

They don't merge 'at some point' and then separate, they are one and the same road from Dublin as far as Portlaoise, then they separate into the roads to Limerick (M7) and Cork (M8). By convention the lower number is used until they separate so the road to Portlaoise is designated the M7.

Technically the M8 doesn't begin until Portlaoise, similar to the way the Galway road (M6) starts at Kinnegad when heading west.
    doovdela wrote: »
    Avoid m9 if traffic be bad there for electric picnic.

Why are people assuming that EP traffic from Dublin will be taking the M9? Wouldn't that involve going through Athy on a Friday afternoon which would be suicidal with all the traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

coylemj wrote: »

Why are people assuming that EP traffic from Dublin will be taking the M9? Wouldn't that involve going through Athy on a Friday afternoon which would be suicidal with all the traffic?

To be fair a lot of people will look at a map, find Stradbally then see Athy and then head that way expecting to avoid madness only to find out the hard what how wrong they were :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Oh i know that i meant they merged all one road before they seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bobokerr

Seems to be differing opinions on this. I might chance the M7, see how I get on, listen out for radio updates, and get off it as soon as I sense trouble. All depends on how the gardai manage it

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I just cannot see Electric Picnic having such an impact on the M7 this afternoon. The venue is far enough away from motorway, that the local roads will absorb the traffic queues from the motorway and I would doubt any queues to exit the motorway will happen on the M7 itself.

Secondly, the vast majority of people going to it, will not be working today, and will be in the venue long before rush hour starts. Some are probably there by now.

The N7/M7 this evening, may be slightly worse than normal - which means:

- stop start and very slow from the Red Cow, or even queued up on the M50 as far as the exit for the M9. In my experience, the last two km before the Naas ball, and the last 2km before the exit for the M9 are the worst. On this road, you will find yourself coming to a complete stop, and then driving at or close to 100km/h and then back to a complete stop - its very frustrating but really not worth diverting for. Just keep your wits about you - and try not to lane hop too much - because its lane hopping that causes the stop start.

- From the exit to the M9 as far as Port Laoise, normally you would be able to drive at or close to 120 km/h. I reckon today it will be between 90 and 100.

- After the exit, with the exception of the toll bridges, you can floor it, and you will be at the tunnel in less than 90 minutes.

The alternatives are:

- The M4/M6 to Tullamore and then onto Portlaiois. From the M50, in the middle of the night, this would take the best part of 90 minutes. This afternoon, you will be on a non motorway with traffic heading to EP from the West and North West.

- The M9 - by the time you get as far as the M9, you will be past the worst of the trip. By taking the M9, you will then have to spend a considerable amount of time off the motorway to get to the M8 or Cork if you go as far as Waterford.

An accident on the M7 or M8 could ruin things this evening, but that can happen at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

For what it's worth, I've been to EP three times and never even noticed an increase in traffic on the motorway. You will have to queue once you get nearer the venue but they usually have a one way loop to the venue so traffic can use both sides of the local roads.

I could have been lucky and beat the traffic, as I'd usually head around lunchtime.

I'd say you'll be fine, but expect a queue if you stop for Supermacs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement