Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importance of mocks??

Options
  • 06-02-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

are the mocks important ... or are they only to scare you into studying for the reall thing?? .. do they contribute to the final result at all?? and are the things that come up in the mocks likely to reappear in the real leaving??

i just had my english paper 1 and it is terrifying how unprepared i am for these exams :/ so maye im just looking for a bit of comforting..i dunno either way any replies are appreciated as always :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I don't think they are at all but that's partly because I'm gonna fail them.

I'm going to use them to get a feel about timing. Both timing on the day, and for the week. Obviously for the more prepared people they're good to get an idea of where they're at, but for the likes of me it's a waste of money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

lainey108 wrote: »
    are the mocks important ... or are they only to scare you into studying for the reall thing??
    They are most useful for practising your timing, and getting used to the experience of sitting a full exam again.

For some people they may be a wake-up call; for others (especially those who rely on hints they got in advance) they may lull them into a sense of false security! :rolleyes:
    do they contribute to the final result at all??
    No, no and no! :)
    and are the things that come up in the mocks likely to reappear in the real leaving??
    Who knows? If they do, it will be pure co-incidence.

Mock papers are prepared by commercial companies, or sometimes by your own teachers. LC papers are prepared by the SEC. The two processes are completely separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Don't stress too much about the Mocks! They are meaningless for the most part and useful only for timing! Just remember there's still 4 months left until you sit your actual exam, so plenty of time to get some work in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

if you fail the mocks can the teachers make you drop?? because thats not really an option for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

if you fail the mocks can the teachers make you drop?? because thats not really an option for me..

IMO I dont think they can "MAKE" you. I think they can only advice you to "DROP"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

At the end of day,nothing:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

The only thing that's important about the mocks IMO is learning timing, other than that they're quite often poorly corrected and some questions are ridiculous. You need to start doing the work, you wont start magically doing the work later if you're not doing it now. You'll procrastinate repeatedly until you realise "Oh holy fúck it's very close now" (Early / Mid May) and quite often then it's too late, not to mention the added pressure you'll be putting yourself through. Seen it happen to many people, start the work now and just do it. You'll appreciate it come August.

Advertisement